650 Horse turbo

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
My first thought was actually an S466, but I really dont want twins so I was trying to chose the largest streetable single I could get. I know a guy with a S475 on an LBZ with a stock fuel system. He has offered to let me take his truck for a drive, if his is even close to acceptable I'm probably going to go with the S472. These turbos are upgradable, I assume they can also be downsized with a wheel and cover If I'm completely dissatisfied?

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
That may work then, If I try the S472 and the lag is too much, I could probably find someone with a smaller charger wanting to upgrade and willing to trade parts.

mytmousemalibu

Cut your ride, sissy!
Apr 12, 2008
Kansas
i wouldnt use that as a single for daily driving:D

:rofl: I remember, we both have/had the same charger! I originally wanted to twin it with the stocker but was looking at my options. Its not even a DD just a weekend fun toy, when its finished:eek:

Anyone know is there a smaller A/R housing thats also T-6. I really dont like hacking stuff apart after its been fabbed up to change somthing that may go back. Id like to stick with the T-6 if i can.

SSchmi5519

LLY Cult Leader
Oct 19, 2008
Arizona
My 472 has less lag than the stock charger did. And runs close to a 1:1 ratio, boost:drive pressure.

Do the .90 A/R housing for sure. You will not have a problem towing with it on a decent tow tune. If anything, downshift and 45+psi will make it move. :thumb:

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
When you say 45+psi, does it stay near 45 or does it get close to 50psi I've heard 50 is pushing it for a single without studs.

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
Well i know steve on here has a s472 with a A/r .90 and that thing hardly has any lag. Hes run a mid 12 and 620 somthin in hp on a weak cp3. Only reason i went with twins was for towing and being on 37 with stock gears.

620hp that steve and I dyno'd was on a F'd up dyno in New Mexico.

even said my dyno was 620hp on a 2900us tune with stock injectors at 4500 feet... :rofl::rofl:

MAXLLY

No Lemming Here
Aug 15, 2007
San Diego
mid size singles have some trade offs for sure - when i put the 475 on it took time to get the tuning right - shift points moved, smoke down (i live in Cali very little tolerance for smoke) fueling timed right, downshifts etc etc.. it's doable for sure as a DD. towing? i dunno about that - the BW stuff i have used has a decent map width yet driving it on the edge of the map is a pita, especially with a trailer.

if you really want to DD a mid size single (72+mm IMO) i found the following worked for DD - find a patient tuner who does trans, plan to help with the mechanical side of the equation - .90 or tighter housing - wastegate to hold DP down - blow off to help the barking... at the end of the day tough to beat twins for weekend fun and HP.

I have spent the last year with a mid size singles (74, 76, 80) BOV/Gates and N2O - frankly i am over it and looking for a fabricator to build twins.

Good luck, its all fun!

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
mid size singles have some trade offs for sure - when i put the 475 on it took time to get the tuning right - shift points moved, smoke down (i live in Cali very little tolerance for smoke) fueling timed right, downshifts etc etc.. it's doable for sure as a DD. towing? i dunno about that - the BW stuff i have used has a decent map width yet driving it on the edge of the map is a pita, especially with a trailer.

if you really want to DD a mid size single (72+mm IMO) i found the following worked for DD - find a patient tuner who does trans, plan to help with the mechanical side of the equation - .90 or tighter housing - wastegate to hold DP down - blow off to help the barking... at the end of the day tough to beat twins for weekend fun and HP.

I have spent the last year with a mid size singles (74, 76, 80) BOV/Gates and N2O - frankly i am over it and looking for a fabricator to build twins.

Good luck, its all fun!

This post is spot on , and one of the few that share my opinion on the subject.

dmaxvaz

wannabe puller
Nov 22, 2006
METRO DETROIT
:rofl: I remember, we both have/had the same charger! I originally wanted to twin it with the stocker but was looking at my options. Its not even a DD just a weekend fun toy, when its finished:eek:

Anyone know is there a smaller A/R housing thats also T-6. I really dont like hacking stuff apart after its been fabbed up to change somthing that may go back. Id like to stick with the T-6 if i can.
there is a 1.10 t6, but the cartridge is different also

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
I'd also like to apologise to the OP, I feel like I've kind of taken over his thread. Hopefully this info will help him also:D
No need for apology. I'm glad you were keeping this thread alive while I was in the car for 10 hours coming back from Iowa. I'm starting to think this could work out great for me. I was told I could get everything I need for around $2,000 vs double that for twins. Most I tow is maybe afew 4wheelers on an aluminum trailer once or twice a year and a 21ft boat about a mile from the storage garage to the water.

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC

Good luck, its all fun!
So far everyone has recomended .90 housing but I'm getting mixed openions on a wastegate. Some say a gate is not needed unless you plan to run nitrous. I personally have thought about a wastegate so I could controll max boost, my thought is there's no need to run 45 psi if your power maxes out at 35-40. If your cleaning up all the smoke at 35 psi is there anything to gain by having 45 psi?

MAXLLY

No Lemming Here
Aug 15, 2007
San Diego
So far everyone has recomended .90 housing but I'm getting mixed openions on a wastegate. Some say a gate is not needed unless you plan to run nitrous. I personally have thought about a wastegate so I could controll max boost, my thought is there's no need to run 45 psi if your power maxes out at 35-40. If your cleaning up all the smoke at 35 psi is there anything to gain by having 45 psi?

I found that by the time i got a 70+ mm charger "on" it was somewhat mechanically "choked off" by the housing - in other words - i needed the small housing to get this pig outta the hole with little boost... yet need a gate to let it breathe over 3000+rpm. we don't need N2O on the street unless $$$ is at the line.

HogAssWild

Nov 12, 2009
I would look into the mpi kit henry has for sale on here....

If your not sled pulling why not go with twins?