5500 Manifolds

Oct 16, 2008
Idaho
Anyone have a picture of them? I did a google image search with no luck. I've got a project I'm working on that I want to use parallels. Was originally going to flip the stock 2500/3500 manifolds to run the turbo's in front/side of the engine. Just wanting to see a difference in the two styles, make up my mind on what's the better route.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
A couple more.
IMG_0082.jpg
[/IMG]

Oct 16, 2008
Idaho
Thanks all. :hug: I'm still not any better off though. :rofl: Like smoke show said it looks like if they were flipped they might interfere with the front drive. Need to get a set in my hands and mock them up to see what hits. I"m still quite a bit away from "needing" them, just trying to stay ahead of the curve. They don't seem like the easiest thing to find either.

On Edit: Looking more at the pictures. It looks like the driver side is quite a bit longer. Maybe 2 drivers side manifolds will do the trick of clearing the front drive assembly. Looking at the bolt pattern I should be able to run it forward/upside down on the passenger side.

Last edited:

dirttymaxx

Nov 15, 2010
sharpsburg,ky
turbo, im going up to his place this weekend,if you dont have some by then give me a ring,hes good on the $$$+ shipping.
i will get you a better pic

Mike_S

OOPS!
Nov 18, 2009
Idaho
The manifolds are not swapable from side to side, unfortunately. This is why they had success with the bd manifold. If you could buy a cheap used pass. Side one and flip it for the driver side why buy the bd? :thumb:

Oct 16, 2008
Idaho
The manifolds are not swapable from side to side, unfortunately. This is why they had success with the bd manifold. If you could buy a cheap used pass. Side one and flip it for the driver side why buy the bd? :thumb:

Definitely something to think about. Although everything I've seen shows they should bolt up flipped to the other side facing forward. I don't think it works for a stock style setup for up-pipe flange orientation when you move them to the opposite side though. That would explain why you couldn't just move a passenger manifold to the driver side and have to purchase a BD. I don't have any evidence to prove it, just a hunch (hope). I'll stick a couple heads on a short block tomorrow and move some pipes around to see what works and what doesn't.

Last edited:

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Definitely something to think about. Although everything I've seen shows they should bolt up flipped to the other side facing forward. I don't think it works for a stock style setup for up-pipe flange orientation when you move them to the opposite side though. That would explain why you couldn't just move a passenger manifold to the driver side and have to purchase a BD. I don't have any evidence to prove it, just a hunch (hope). I'll stick a couple heads on a short block tomorrow and move some pipes around to see what works and what doesn't.
They work swapping them side to side pointing the opposite direction because the heads are the same. They just turn the head around to bolt it on the other side. I think the bottom of the manifold still has to stay on the bottom side. Because of the placement of the bolt holes, there is no way you could swap the passengers side to the driver's side and still have it open to the back of the motor.