5.3 performance???

03spoolindmax

Nov 9, 2011
Mi
There are a billion 5.3 chevy builds. Hot Rod Magazine did a budget junkyard build that made 800hp.

I guess guys lower the compression a little but to help keep the factory rods in place at 800hp.

The camshaft and cylinder heads are the most important part.
But definitely without a doubt ad a turbo to the mix. A $649 T6 S475/96/1.32 would be perfect.

Only to find out it ended up being a 4.8l and not a 5.3 after they tore the heads off.

03spoolindmax

Nov 9, 2011
Mi
you can find universal intercoolers and fab mounts for it. you'll probably have to make all the charge air piping but i know you can find headers for a 5.3 pickup that are for a turbo app.

I have yet to find a complete kit to turbo a 5.3 pick up

Take the factory truck manifolds and flip them around. Then make your own y pipe in front if the motor to mount a turbo.

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009
Only to find out it ended up being a 4.8l and not a 5.3 after they tore the heads off.

did you see that shit too? And it still made a retarded amount of power

i forgot what their budget was but it wasnt much. they re used the damn bearings for gods sake lol

03spoolindmax

Nov 9, 2011
Mi
did you see that shit too? And it still made a retarded amount of power

i forgot what their budget was but it wasnt much. they re used the damn bearings for gods sake lol

I think it made right around 800hp before something stupid happened. Then tore the heads off only to find it had valve reliefs In the heads. Which 5.3s had flat top pistons.

03spoolindmax

Nov 9, 2011
Mi
If you do a 6.0 try and get ahold of some 6.2 heads and intake. They have square port intake runners that flow over 300 cfm stock compared the the cathedral ports that come on the other heads. They Also have bigger valves.

Match that with a nice cam just under .600" lift( so the valves don't hit the piston) and some springs. Get some stock 42lb injectors. Easy 150-200hp gain with a good tune of coarse.

Look into a stall also around 3400 rpm or so. Gen 3&4 engines love high revs. You can easily take them to 7000rpm

Also there's 2 types of 6.0s. There's a lq4 which is 9.4:1 cr that has reliefs in the pistons and there's an lq9 that's 9.9:1 cr that have flat top pistons. Different is around 20hp or so.

Being that it's a 2006 they changed the crank and cam references mid year. Early had 24x crank and 2x cam reference while late had 58x crank and 4x cam. I believe you can tell by looking at the color of the crank sensor on the side of the block by the starter. They have a black and gray sensor. Can't remember which one means which.

'03duramax

I love cheer******s
Sep 16, 2006
WA
Some long tubes and a cam kit are easy 400+rwhp on a junkyard 6.0, that's cheap fun.

Bustedknuckles

Honey Badger
Sep 25, 2010
Hagerstown MD
Looks like a 6.0 is around $1500. I think we will stick with the 5.3 and turbo it down the road. That being said what cam and springs do y'all recommend and what's a good company to buy from that will be able to answer any questions, not just a parts seller.

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009
I really like Comp Cams. I needed a custom grind for my BBC, they were able to save me a pretty penny by doing a regrind of a marine camshaft they stock.

I would look up a few experienced shops that work on and build 5.3L and ask them what they would suggest. There's a lot more that goes into a properly spec'd camshaft then just a power goal.

03spoolindmax

Nov 9, 2011
Mi
Comp cams, Texas speed or lingerfelter. There's a few other nice companies that do cams for ls engines.

You'll notice parts are a lot cheaper and easier to come by when it comes to these motors compared to a Dmax.

Check out huronspeedproducts.com for some nice turbo kits.

Yes it's the 2nd half of hsp diesel but the ls side

henery97

Apr 4, 2011
Nebraska
Slide a cam in the 5.3 and it will easily make 400+ with just a cam and maybe springs depending how aggressive the cam is. I built a pos third gen camaro with a 5.3 in it. Took the easy route since I had the stuff laying around and put a carb on it. A stone stock 5.3 with a msd 6010 ignition box, edelbrock intake, 650cfm Holley, and a custom grind .563/.546 comp cam. It made north of 450hp @ 7200rpm. Now I'm building a lq4 (6.0L) with a Chinese 76mm turbo. Shooting for 650hp on pump gas:thumb:

henery97

Apr 4, 2011
Nebraska
If the motor came out of an obs truck (LB7-LBZ) it is a gen III motor, if it came out of a nbs truck (LMM-LML) it is gen IV. Car stuff changed in 2005 with the ls2 being a gen IV motor. Ls2,3,7,9,A and 07.5+ truck are gen IV motors with a 58x reluctor wheel. Ls1/6 99-07.5 truck are gen III with a 24x reluctor wheel

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
Looks like a 6.0 is around $1500. I think we will stick with the 5.3 and turbo it down the road. That being said what cam and springs do y'all recommend and what's a good company to buy from that will be able to answer any questions, not just a parts seller.

I know for a fact that the only difference between the 4.8 and 5.3 is the bore, a 4.8L can be taken all the way to 5.7, so can the 5.3L, creating an iron block vette motor, only it's capable of withstanding more boost than the aluminum block...:thumb: and then I think most if not all the LS1/LS2 stuff will work for the build.

Like I said, the bore is the defining element for the amount of displacement between the 4.8/5.3 they use the same crank and rods...it's been a few years since I was playing around with LS stuff, but I'm pretty sure you can bolt on LS1 vette heads once the blocks been bored over and even use a LS1 Z06 cam, with the right tuning that will surpass your 400hp goals with ease.

Lunati and comp make some pretty trick cams for the LS stuff, weisco pistons, JE pistons, Arais, MAHLE, any one of them would suffice, up you can even run a stroker kit wit a full 4" throw iirc???

I saw mention of using the 243 heads, but iirc, the bore on the 243 heads is 4.125 and while they can be used with a 4.05 bore or somethin, you have to pay special attention to the quench, piston wall to valve clearance and CR cuz the volume of the 243 heads is like 63cc iirc, and the standard heads used for those engines was a 72cc combustion chamber, also I think the valve angle is different too, 23* vs 15* but I can't remember

also the cathedral port heads can be ported out to match the flow of the stock square port heads, and even more so than the stock square port heads move, AND cathedral port heads flow better down low, producing more tq down low, which is beneficial for a vehicle as heavy as a truck, usually this detrimental to the top end, but if you can afford to send the heads out to somewhere like T.E.A (total engine airflow) you won't be disappointed;) something like the 225cc-245cc heads from them would be sweet:cool:

http://www.totalengineairflow.com/cnc-ported-cylinder-heads/gm/ls1ls2

Really, the sky is the limit! Build it for more than your current goals and go for it later with a turbo set up:D

Last edited:

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
How do you get those trans to hold power?? Swap to a 4l80? I have a 2001 that's had 3 rebuilds. Two of those were at stock hp :/

I never built one to that level, or even close, I was starting to, I had a D1SC procharger and 3row air to air intercooler, 45cc injectors and HP tuned 07 classic 1500hd (6.0L LQ4) and I got smoked by a diesel dodge one day and I wanted a diesel from that minute on, sold the truck saved for a little over a year and bought the duramax in my avatar, but it was bone stock:rolleyes:

I'm not sure what they're doing to hold the power, but remember, they don't have to deal with the tq the diesels make... 1000whp LSX will only be producing 930-950 ft lbs tq, not 2000

03spoolindmax

Nov 9, 2011
Mi
The 243 head is what's used on all the ls6 and ls2 engines. The l92/l99/ls3 (6.2l) head is the bigger bore that can be used on a 6.0l or bigger. The ls3 heads have way bigger valves and would be a lot cheaper to make power from.

People don't build ls motors for torque. I'm not saying you can't make tq with them but they're made for high reving. Which is where hp is made. Hence the reason for a big stall.