4th, 5th gear ratio codes after rebuild

BG lly 2500

Aug 9, 2021
So Merchant is sending me an apply plate. I'm guessing it was supposed to be in the kit and wasn't. Funny thing is that there wasn't an apply plate in the stock clutches unless the bottom one was the apply plate, it's no different than any other steels. Either way I think this will take care of my issue. Should I swap out the C2 apply piston for one that's not modified?

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
If the c2 pack is a stock replacement type, it probably won't have the thicker stepped type apply plate. Stock is as you described. It's up to you at this point, and what your intentions are for power, but I'd switch out the c2 piston that you modified and run 7 frictions for more holding capacity. You can keep the c2 mods that are done if you stick with a stock clutch count. IIRC this is what the original transgo for the 01-05 was designed around.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Didn't you post on another forum that you cross drilled the C2 piston with a 1/8 drill bit? If so you were wrong on the size needed. And .080 clearance is not your problem.

BG lly 2500

Aug 9, 2021
Thank you sir for the insight sir, I did take part assembly, all looks OK, was super hard to get seals broken and they looked good so I think they are all OK. Mike, I looked at bit and directions, the bit I used in the side hoke was 5/32, used the ⅛ to drill out holes for the plugs. Sorry for the wrong info, I was going off memory. And yes I just verified this upon taking it apart. Also I will admit that I forgot to check the C2 for clearance and was just estimating what it was on that other forum Mike, but now I've verified my assumption. So I guess I'm going to wait for the plate I get from them and go from there, this all looks to be correct other than the clearance being .097 now. Thanks

Last edited:

BG lly 2500

Aug 9, 2021
This is how I'm checking. I have the clutches I showed in previous pic in here, gauges are at .097 and it's tight but not super tight. 20211122_131325.jpg

BG lly 2500

Aug 9, 2021
These are the C2 that came out of it. As you can see this was clearly my problem. There is only 1 fiber that even has fiber and the bottom 2 were bent inward like they were cupped from pressure. 20211122_132351.jpg

BG lly 2500

Aug 9, 2021
Got it back together, clearance on C2 is now .070. Drove it for 30 mins at low rpm trying to get it to slip like that again and nothing, got on it pretty good and it felt strong. They forgot the plate in the kit. I had no idea because the book nor the old clutches had an apply plate. Either way they overnighted it and I removed the bottom steel and swapped in the plate and voila! Checked minimums from specs provided by Joe at Merchant on steels and fibers also to be sure they didn't get smaller and they were good. Thanks for the help.