3rd Boost tube in three months??

custom8726

Feb 25, 2008
Upstate N.Y
Probably not the technical name for it but its the blue rubber tube that goes into the intercooler on the lower / drivers side. Anyways the factory one had a blow out a few months ago and the dealer was closed. I went down to the local filter shop and they had a simillar BLK rubber tube that was atleast twice as thick as the factory blue one and was the right bend and length. It only lasted a couple month's and blew apart. So today I go to the dealer and shell out a hundred bucks for this little 6" piece of rubber and everything seems fine again. My question's are, How common is it for these things to blow out? Is there a better alternative then the factory ones?

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
Go here and get a piece of fiberglass or better sleeving one step larger than the rubber's outside diameter. You can get the to shrink down, but they will not grow! Make sure you have 2-3" more than you think you will need.

Put your boot into the sleeve and work out the baggy spots. Try to keep the weave gaps consistent across the boot surface. Some people claim soapy water helps control the material and keep it in place. Clamp the boot in place as usual, but with the sleeve between the boot and clamp.

The sleeve will help re-enforce the boot. The real solution is to find a stronger boot in the first place, but finding one in the right size is not always an option.

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
ya make sure there is no seraded(sp)? edge on the tube. That is quite an uncommon problem, not saying it never happens but it is generally the boot from the turbo to IC tube.

Jun 28, 2007
NE Pa
The true solution to this would to be to go with a new boost tube that doesn't use that boot. (the tube is a little longer with a bend at the end and just uses a straight silicone boot at the end) Metal tubing should be used for bends not silicone. I'm actually working on something to eliminate that boot as we speak.

custom8726

Feb 25, 2008
Upstate N.Y
The true solution to this would to be to go with a new boost tube that doesn't use that boot. (the tube is a little longer with a bend at the end and just uses a straight silicone boot at the end) Metal tubing should be used for bends not silicone. I'm actually working on something to eliminate that boot as we speak.

Thats kinda what I was thinking, if this one pops I will have to get a little creative or buy one of your creations.:)

custom8726

Feb 25, 2008
Upstate N.Y
Go here and get a piece of fiberglass or better sleeving one step larger than the rubber's outside diameter. You can get the to shrink down, but they will not grow! Make sure you have 2-3" more than you think you will need.

Put your boot into the sleeve and work out the baggy spots. Try to keep the weave gaps consistent across the boot surface. Some people claim soapy water helps control the material and keep it in place. Clamp the boot in place as usual, but with the sleeve between the boot and clamp.

The sleeve will help re-enforce the boot. The real solution is to find a stronger boot in the first place, but finding one in the right size is not always an option.

Thanks for the Link, I can think of a few uses for that stuff already..

custom8726

Feb 25, 2008
Upstate N.Y
I blew it out twice on my LLY. I think it was from excessive movement due to offroading. Same spot... hot side boost tube into IC.

Sure makes a big bang eh? :rofl:

Well I have been doing more off roading lately (hunting season) but That seems unlikely, Maybe:confused:

custom8726

Feb 25, 2008
Upstate N.Y
X2, what kind of boost are you running? Does this happen during a LONG hard pull under load? If not under what conditions does this happen?

Stock charger 36-38lb spikes is about it. The first time I just noticed a loud suction sound when it was building boost. This last time it poped, LOUD!! and then just lost power. I was getting on it pretty good but nothing out of the ordinary except maybe the cold it was in the teens when the last one let go..

Killerbee

Got Honey?
Stock charger 36-38lb spikes

My question's are, How common is it for these things to blow out? Is there a better alternative than the factory ones?

the conditions you are quoting here heats the air charge and hot-side boot into the 600F range. You are overboosted. If you haven't done so, you have to fix your LLY induction restriction problem. This will immediately knock off 100F off the air charge that is thermally stressing the material. The boot will immediately see several psi less, since compressor discharge will decrease.

You'll be amazed at how much more "go" the truck has.

If I were you, I would drop your boost down a bit. There is no real benefit at those levels, heat is hurting you.

The other thing you can do, is get yourself the 3" boost tubes. This knocks off another 2-3 psi. Those 2.5" shortcuts are for volkswagons