2nd gear start tune

06dmax

Aug 5, 2009
can any one tell me how to make a 2nd gear star tune for pulling in 4lo iv been told its possible i just want to confirm on how to do it thanks guys!!!

whytry

Oct 11, 2010
D5000 every pattern but a set to 0
D5005
D5020
D5025
D5035

Last edited:

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
What is so much better about doing this? Would it be worth anything for a stock turbo pulling truck to try?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

whytry

Oct 11, 2010
Depends on your tracks but most likely yes it would help you need to get as much ground speed as quickly as possable

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
Leaving B alone too I think is a good idea incase you like to drive around in t/h like I do. Unless there is some funky stuff that makes it not work as good without setting pattern B like this too??

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
Do you need to adjust D5033? Alot of those tables mentioned are for wot throttle mode so how will it start in second if its not reached "wot"? Also D5020 and D5035 seem like they will just cycle the trans to 1st and 2nd? Or am I wrong, just what it seems like it would do if they are both set at 0?

dirttymaxx

Nov 15, 2010
sharpsburg,ky
What is so much better about doing this? Would it be worth anything for a stock turbo pulling truck to try?

ben, jakes truck is a 2nd gear start,heck he mite even be a 3rd gear start by now...
its harder on the trans/converter...but you can build more boost on the line,an get up to speed faster,if ur truck is like ours,it will roll threw the brakes.

our truck hits 26 mph with 33's..when we broke everything at danville we were running 35's/28mph,and i think if it didnt hop"damn mud",we would of keep on going out the gate...

just my 2cents

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
Well my speedo was off appearently. I'm going to try a second gear start tonight if I don't have to work late. I'll post my findings. Only thing is I'm constantly dicking around with my Ecm tune, so each pull is different so my results may be skewed.

dirttymaxx

Nov 15, 2010
sharpsburg,ky
Well my speedo was off appearently. I'm going to try a second gear start tonight if I don't have to work late. I'll post my findings. Only thing is I'm constantly dicking around with my Ecm tune, so each pull is different so my results may be skewed.

stop doing that....give her a chance to seddle in...lol

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
I talked to Dustin at Diesel Addiction about a second gear start. Drholiday and he both used it with sucess at the dragstrip. He told me the biggest benefit is when you have a setup where you push through the brakes and have trouble building boost off the line. Second gear start makes it easier for the brakes to hold you back.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
I talked to Dustin at Diesel Addiction about a second gear start. Drholiday and he both used it with sucess at the dragstrip. He told me the biggest benefit is when you have a setup where you push through the brakes and have trouble building boost off the line. Second gear start makes it easier for the brakes to hold you back.

....but also makes it much easier to burn up your converter if you sit on it too long at the starting line. I never did try a second gear start even though I talked about it a lot.