2500 vs 3500 Rear springs

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
Local horse guy wants to improve his 2018 2500 cc lb towing experience. He has roadmaster helper springs currently. I wander if 3500 srw rear springs are different. I notice both have 4 plys with the 3500 having 2 ply overloads with the contact stops on the frame. Is anyone familiar with a rear spring upgrade or swap? Maybe he should start with airbags

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
The dealer I bought my truck from will sell and install the overloads you are taking about for 1100 bucks, all factory gm parts. Main pack is the same, it’s just the two overloads that touch the frame stop pads that is added and longer u-bolts

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
1100 bucks to buy and install a couple of overloads?!? Geezus, thats highway robbery!

Gunna cost you damn near the same to install quality bags at a shop. You don’t get the shit ride unloaded with the overloads either.

Some people like “all factory” as well.

EDIT: I’ll bet the dealer is replacing the whole pack. Gm as a spacer between the main pack and upper overloads which means a much longer center eye bolt. I highly doubt the techs are splitting the packs apart to put the overloads on. If the fuel tank has to be dropped or bolt cut to get the pack out like the older years, 1100 is a pretty average cost for a shop to do the work, cheap in dealer prices.

Last edited:

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Not worth arguing about, James. There are simple ways around those problems, though...and they dont cost that much to do either in money or time.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Not everyone does the work themselves, that’s the point that seems to be missed here. I highly doubt Ike is doing the work on the guys truck for free.

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
GM won't sell just the overloads it seems. I priced the whole kit from our dealer. Quote is in pic.
Rockauto lists the overload springs separately, made by Dayton. Obviously the cheaper option but only if i can find the spacer block that goes between the main pack and overloads. View attachment CamScanner 09-28-2020 09.55.08.pdf
3c766a8b76a6d493cce0747e37315611.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
49683465600684157a84bcff55128823.jpg

Hoser

Jun 19, 2016
Farmington, MN
Not worth arguing about, James.

I thought that’s what the internet was for 😂!

I’m not trying to argue, but I think the ride with bags is better while towing, especially when you are constantly on and off the overloads, and I have never had an issue with a bad ride unloaded, and I usually keep 40 pounds in my bags, I mean, it is a truck. . . . . .

The worst part about these new trucks is that even if you have a one ton with overloads, the stupid truck drags it’s butt on the ground the second you hook up a trailer. I get guys flashing me at night all the time because I’m pointed at the sky. Even with my gooseneck empty it will sit on the overloads. Let’s be honest, these trucks are made for comfort, not towing, and it’s disappointing. Throwing bags on a truck allow you to keep the truck level and I personally feel it makes the truck handle the load better. I’ve been waiting for my local supplier to get the Airlift 7500 bags in and I’ll be putting them on my truck ASAP, towing with my truck now sucks, and that’s all I use the dumb thing for.

036.6turbo

Jan 17, 2014
AirLft5000 and their wireless compressor. Bag it and be done. Pin weight of my toyhauler is HEAVY!

I run 5psi when unloaded, never noticed diminished ride quality.

With the factory overloads, truck will sag until the point of contact with the overloads. Not so with bags, you control the ride height.

PO of my truck hauled a truck camper in the bed, he added the factory 3500 overload stuff. I pitched all of it in the scrap.

trip home bristol wis_2.jpg

Reactions: Hoser

Loader

Mar 10, 2011
AirLft5000 and their wireless compressor. Bag it and be done. Pin weight of my toyhauler is HEAVY!

I run 5psi when unloaded, never noticed diminished ride quality.

With the factory overloads, truck will sag until the point of contact with the overloads. Not so with bags, you control the ride height.

PO of my truck hauled a truck camper in the bed, he added the factory 3500 overload stuff. I pitched all of it in the scrap.

View attachment 104607
Second that. I installed air springs and never had an issue. I just put valves inside the tailgate and pump them up when loaded (usually 20psi) and let them down to 5 psi unloaded. Done.

JerryL

Feb 9, 2010
Emporia, Ks.
My Duramax is a 2500 HD crew cab short bed. My unloaded camper pin weight is ~2,300lb. Some road situations cause it to feel like it bottoms out. I know that's not good. I'm struggling with deciding to add the OEM overload springs or go with airbags. My friend and next door neighbor has the exact same truck year and all except its a 3500 HD. I can ask and look all I want. He'll be happy to help and answer questions. What should I ask? He sold his 5th wheel a few months after getting his new truck because he never used the camper. In fact, he only hauled it once with his truck.

OEM:
On the one hand I like the thought of staying with factory parts and factory look but the rear must sag to engage the overloads. And this would PROBABLY stop me from bottoming out. IDK. I know everything would be just "bolt it all on" and be done. There's going to be situations where the OL springs would engage and disengage or disengage and reengage. That could make them "bang" a bit. IDK since I don't have them. There'd be no airing them up and down. Although, I air the tires up and down each time I haul the camper. Hmmm ...
(036.6turbo mentioned throwing it all in the scrap. I'd sure like to have that scrap, if it would fit. That would be cheap enough to try the factory OEM situation.)

Bags:
On the other hand using airbags to keep the truck level even when towing my camper has a great appeal. What's the life expectancy of bags? I drove my 2002 Duramax for nearly 18 years. I'm thinking durability/life expectancy. How long should they last? What's the minimum psi? What's the max psi? How bad do they show? If I go with bags, should I get the whole package with compressor? I always carry a descent 12 volt air compressor. At only 5 psi does this lift the rear?

Capability is not an issue for me but I have no experience with doing this either way so any suggestions are definitely appreciated.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I beefed up my spring pack. Have hauled 5k in the bed multiple times and it only rides on the primary overloads. I think one time I had about 6k and it still wasn't on the secondary overload. Maybe when going over a bump it will touch. All second hand leafs. I split the pack and installed a longer center bolt and larger 3/4" U bolts. I didn't really want to have to remember to fill up any bags or deal with leaks. Just load up and go

Attachments

• IMG_20170319_141351934.jpg
    IMG_20170319_141351934.jpg
    260 KB · Views: 40

JerryL

Feb 9, 2010
Emporia, Ks.
I beefed up my spring pack. Have hauled 5k in the bed multiple times and it only rides on the primary overloads. I think one time I had about 6k and it still wasn't on the secondary overload. Maybe when going over a bump it will touch. All second hand leafs. I split the pack and installed a longer center bolt and larger 3/4" U bolts. I didn't really want to have to remember to fill up any bags or deal with leaks. Just load up and go

As I understand it, you have a 3500 which already has the overload springs I'm thinking about adding to my 2500 instead of airbags. On yours there is already a spacer between the leafs and the OL leaf. So you added yet a second OL leaf? Or you "split the pack" and added another leaf within the normal leaf spring set?

I have the same thoughts as you on air bags but am still considering them. I had air shocks once but they kept leaking. Fortunately I also had a pump system. I like the way my truck rides and don't want to stiffen it any except when my lady and I are hauling our camper.
THANKS for your input! Much appreciated!

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
As I understand it, you have a 3500 which already has the overload springs I'm thinking about adding to my 2500 instead of airbags. On yours there is already a spacer between the leafs and the OL leaf. So you added yet a second OL leaf? Or you "split the pack" and added another leaf within the normal leaf spring set?

I have the same thoughts as you on air bags but am still considering them. I had air shocks once but they kept leaking. Fortunately I also had a pump system. I like the way my truck rides and don't want to stiffen it any except when my lady and I are hauling our camper.
THANKS for your input! Much appreciated!

Yep, 3500. Already had primary and secondary overload springs. Just needed to add additional leafs under the primary overload.