2024 Duramax issues?

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
I ordered a 2024 Denali and now I’m worried. Everyone that i know who got one already is having bad issues. Anyone know what’s going on with the new trucks? I am reading stuff from electrical to hard part failures. My good friend had his throw a steering code and he almost lost control, the steering became SUPER sensitive and he about wrecked pulling his 30’ boat. Once he disconnected from the trailer he said it was even worse, the tiniest steering input would send the truck across 2 lanes of traffic. Dealer said we unplugged the module and reset it, come get it after 11 days. I’m very concerned about these issues and was hoping someone on here had insite into them. Mainly hoping the huntindkid, I think that’s his name on here, sees this thread and chimes in. I want one but I am not going to knowingly buy a turd…

Pure Diesel

Apr 22, 2008
Ventura County
I just bought one 2-1/2 months ago but not a Denali. I have 4000 miles on it and its great. Just did my first big tow with it and the truck was amazing. Total combined weight was about 24K. Truck, 5th wheel and boat.
ebfde550a041b2169e8b286c315229af.jpg

Reactions: wydopenLb7

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I ordered a 2024 Denali and now I’m worried. Everyone that i know who got one already is having bad issues. Anyone know what’s going on with the new trucks? I am reading stuff from electrical to hard part failures. My good friend had his throw a steering code and he almost lost control, the steering became SUPER sensitive and he about wrecked pulling his 30’ boat. Once he disconnected from the trailer he said it was even worse, the tiniest steering input would send the truck across 2 lanes of traffic. Dealer said we unplugged the module and reset it, come get it after 11 days. I’m very concerned about these issues and was hoping someone on here had insite into them. Mainly hoping the huntindkid, I think that’s his name on here, sees this thread and chimes in. I want one but I am not going to knowingly buy a turd…

Aside from the cheap connectors gm went with, and the fact my belt grenaded for no reason in the beginning of this month, that steering issue you stated is news to me.

The def level will read like crap after about 5k

5k oil changes are a good idea with the pcv system chevy uses and the regens done on them.

Keep your egr serviced (cleaned) unless it’s getting weight loss or sees lots of highway

My idler/pitman arm already show signs of wear at 36k

These things are full of electronics. Get in hood with someone with an mdi2. It will be needed to understand what’s wrong or fix issues

Hoser

Jun 19, 2016
Farmington, MN
I am never the type of person to say don’t buy the first year, and I have bought first year trucks, but I wouldn’t buy the refreshed ‘24. I’ve also been hearing of lots of issues. And even watching videos on the exhaust brake that‘s supposed to be much better than the 20–23 trucks it looks like It’s not nearly as effective. I definitely am not getting a good vibe from them. Just about every truck was throwing a check engine light for a while, but I think GM has that figured out now, but I haven’t looked up the latest on it. Just doesn’t seem like it’s worth going with the ‘24 at this point when the 20 to 23 trucks are so good.

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
It seems the vast majority of issues with newer diesels are emissions related... So IMO, if the oxymoron that is the 'EPA' wants to impose this junk, then there should be a LIFETIME warranty on anything remotely emissions, OR, an easy, legal path to delete the garbage. When a DPF failure (one single EMISSIONS component) could literally total an otherwise great vehicle, that's an issue...

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
Seems like every single truck is coding. HD Dave’s was towed in Friday afternoon, he went back to it Saturday and it started right up. His shut down pulling 14k in traffic with no warning and would not restart. I’ve heard of several buy backs due to steering issues and my buddy lost 10k trading his 40 day old truck in a ford. WTF is going on?!?

Hoser

Jun 19, 2016
Farmington, MN
I don’t know, but this has been the worst refresh rollout that I can remember for the HDs. I’d give it some time, it doesn’t sound like there will be any hardware changes, so hopefully they can get the software figured out.

Hoser

Jun 19, 2016
Farmington, MN
And there’s been lots of software glitches in the infotainment system, locked black screens, GPS issues, map issues, and when I’ve used the new system it seems really slow to me. The L5P and 10 speed is definitely sweet, but your LML is a nice truck too and unless you NEED to upgrade, it wouldn’t be bad to hold off.

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
Yea, my buddies are getting 5 to 7 mpg, they are on 35 and 37’s though. HD Dave didn’t have his long enough to find out before it went in for service…

Pure Diesel

Apr 22, 2008
Ventura County
The mileage in stop n go traffic and around town, I'm a little disappointed. It can be anywhere from 13-15. The highway mileage is better than my LBZ. The computer is pretty accurate. Did one drive(empty) all hwy for about 100 miles and I was at 23 mpg. I'm averaging around 16.5-17.
My recent dbl tow I drove at 60 mph the whole tank, went north over the grapevine and got 10.5 mpg(temp was 80degs). The return trip I drove at 65 mph(temp was 101 degs) south back over the grapevine. I got almost 11.75 mpg. The LBZ would get 10 if I was lucky. The truck did not sweat going either direction of the grapevine. Coolant temp never even moved.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
The mileage in stop n go traffic and around town, I'm a little disappointed. It can be anywhere from 13-15. The highway mileage is better than my LBZ. The computer is pretty accurate. Did one drive(empty) all hwy for about 100 miles and I was at 23 mpg. I'm averaging around 16.5-17.
My recent dbl tow I drove at 60 mph the whole tank, went north over the grapevine and got 10.5 mpg(temp was 80degs). The return trip I drove at 65 mph(temp was 101 degs) south back over the grapevine. I got almost 11.75 mpg. The LBZ would get 10 if I was lucky. The truck did not sweat going either direction of the grapevine. Coolant temp never even moved.

Yeah I’m averaging 20-21 on highway back and forth to work at 75mph. Towing the big trailer its as bad as my 02 was. 9-10 on flats at 70-75. I hold her wot on hills though lol. Just got 37s for it today (stock height still). We will see what mpg does on those.

Pure Diesel

Apr 22, 2008
Ventura County
Seems like every single truck is coding. HD Dave’s was towed in Friday afternoon, he went back to it Saturday and it started right up. His shut down pulling 14k in traffic with no warning and would not restart. I’ve heard of several buy backs due to steering issues and my buddy lost 10k trading his 40 day old truck in a ford. WTF is going on?!?

Reactions: lutzjk913

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
I saw that one, hopefully all the issues are figured out now. They started building mine this week. I really want this truck but if the problems persist I’ll pass on it.

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
Hopefully, they have the issues worked out now. My truck is sitting in the rail yard about an hour from my dealer. Might be Monday before they can pick it up though. I had a conversation with my buddy at the service center. Said some of the early trucks had bad egr solenoids that caused the majority of the reduced power issues. I’ll keep this thread updated if mine starts acting up.

Pure Diesel

Apr 22, 2008
Ventura County
I think you'll enjoy your new truck.
I'm coming up on 8,000 miles and it goes in for its first oil change on Friday. The truck has been great for towing. Doesn't break a sweat. I've had a few glitchy things go on with the infotainment center but I think they're just software updates. Otherwise I'm enjoying the hell out of this truck.

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
It came in yesterday, got to drive straight off the carrier. Lol. Picking it up today after they install my painted wheel arch moldings and safe. Seems awful quick off the line for a stock truck. Wondering what people are talking about pedal lag for, they must have never driven an lml.