2017 Duramax

FSUwelder1212

Oct 18, 2012
It's been quiet around here! Any updates from the L5P guys? Curious how these are holding up and if GM has done anything about the quirks noted here.

M.A.M.

Jan 9, 2016
Ohio
Mine's been great so far, got just under 40k of towing on it. I read somewhere the data collection GM had been doing on complaints and issues was closed, so I'm expecting some minor calibration updates coming soon...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Digmax

Jan 23, 2016
Mine's been great so far, got just under 40k of towing on it. I read somewhere the data collection GM had been doing on complaints and issues was closed, so I'm expecting some minor calibration updates coming soon...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Hey what has your def usage been per thousand. Mine seems really high been through about 14 gal in 9500 miles

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Novak

SQUIRREL TRYN TO GET A NUT
Jun 15, 2015
Cloud 9, IDAHO
My guess is someone has posted this link up already maybe 20 or 30 pages ago...who knows at this point
:popcorn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jlawles2

Jan 28, 2010
Danbury, TX
Mine had only been back to the dealer once. they could not duplicate the problem of it wanting to accelerate when you take your foot off the throttle, so could not do anything about it. After 10,000 miles and noting when it does it, I think the engine is in a region process when it does this. It has elevated idle to about 850(ish)rpm in either drive or park. I have noted the mileages when it does it to me so hopefully they can confirm my suspicion.

As for DEF usage, Tank has been below the 30% mark 2 times since I purchased the truck. First time at 4800 miles and this last time at 10,000 miles. Each fillup was about 4.7 gallons. Did not really pay attention as i was at the truck stop and used the blue nozzle. First time it was a chore as the hose is long enough to reach the pass side, but takes some creative parking. Second time, just backed into the fill stall.:)

Hambone

Always learning
Jan 24, 2016
Florida
Hit 20% dpf at 4500 and filled it up from our 55gallom drum... pretty simple no spill.
5000 took it in for free oil change at Gm last week and no updated calibration as of yet :(
I've confirmed the ticking noise at idle that you hear mostly in drive through a is from the dpf injector in the exhaust system :thumb:
I feel the post above is correct:hug: the ghost peddle is during regen
Mpg towing about 8-10k is 12
Mpg city 14
Mpg highway 17.6 at 75mph
I love this as a work truck and someday when they can be deleted I will definitely get one for personal use but until then Lly FTW:D

Evan@InglewoodTrans

yerp
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 5, 2010
Western MA
Mine had only been back to the dealer once. they could not duplicate the problem of it wanting to accelerate when you take your foot off the throttle, so could not do anything about it. After 10,000 miles and noting when it does it, I think the engine is in a region process when it does this. It has elevated idle to about 850(ish)rpm in either drive or park. I have noted the mileages when it does it to me so hopefully they can confirm my suspicion.

As for DEF usage, Tank has been below the 30% mark 2 times since I purchased the truck. First time at 4800 miles and this last time at 10,000 miles. Each fillup was about 4.7 gallons. Did not really pay attention as i was at the truck stop and used the blue nozzle. First time it was a chore as the hose is long enough to reach the pass side, but takes some creative parking. Second time, just backed into the fill stall.:)

Mine is constantly accelerating with my foot off the pedal and on deceleration it's dangerous. Lots of people with same issue.

torqued2dmax

Mar 26, 2017
Brookville, PA
Evan when I was at your shop,you had said you were thinking about coming up with a relocation for the DEF tank, I was just looking at a new truck today and thought of your comment . Great tranny and 1078 and wonderful customer service !

RPM Motorsports

smokinum
May 13, 2008
Central Valley Ca.
Mine is constantly accelerating with my foot off the pedal and on deceleration it's dangerous. Lots of people with same issue.

I think you're feeling what I'm thinking is the converter un locking. I usually feel it when slowing down on the down shifts and on the brake with medium braking. It does feel like an acceleration because the drag is released, and the brake needs to be applied more. I think if the truck didn't feel like it was in tow haul mode all the time, this wouldn't be noticable, but who knows.. curious to see what they come up with to fix this.., if at all

The accelerating while off the throttle I have felt, was while the 1/2 up shift was happening, and I let off the throttle right as or before it shifted into 2nd. The truck had a forward increase in speed for a split second.

Last edited:

jlawles2

Jan 28, 2010
Danbury, TX
Converter should not have been locked as i was in a parking lot doing 5mph or less. then when i pulled in the space it did it when i let off the throttle to stop in position.

Evan@InglewoodTrans

yerp
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 5, 2010
Western MA
I think you're feeling what I'm thinking is the converter un locking. I usually feel it when slowing down on the down shifts and on the brake with medium braking. It does feel like an acceleration because the drag is released, and the brake needs to be applied more. I think if the truck didn't feel like it was in tow haul mode all the time, this wouldn't be noticable, but who knows.. curious to see what they come up with to fix this.., if at all

The accelerating while off the throttle I have felt, was while the 1/2 up shift was happening, and I let off the throttle right as or before it shifted into 2nd. The truck had a forward increase in speed for a split second.

I know what a converter unlocking feels like lol. What I was more referring to is your second paragraph but I've had it happen during a few scenarios and very often.

jlawles2

Jan 28, 2010
Danbury, TX
Took truck to dealer today. There is an update for the ECM. Also found the information at duramax forum just before the service writer came out and told me about the update. Update has only been out for a couple of days.

Link to original thread: http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/2...-released-see-below-finally-should-fixed.html hopefully the moderators do not kill it since it is partly a safety recall.

Update is:
#17-NA-171: Hesitation, Stalling, Engine Speed Flare, Unintended Accelerations Feel, Reduced Surge in Low Speed Maneuvers, Stumble, Loud Ticking Noise While Coasting Down, Harsh Tip-In/Tip-Out Shifting, Lack of Engine Performance when Cold, Park-Reverse-Drive Shifter Concerns, Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) Illuminated - DTC P0097, P054F, P24C7, P0128, P2BAA, P2635, P11CC, P10D1, P0483, P2636, P0181, P22FE, P0263, P0266, P0269, P0272, P0275, P0278, P0281, P0284, P040C, P040D, P040E, P041C, P041D, P041E Set - (May 23, 2017)
Subject: Hesitation, Stalling, Engine Speed Flare, Unintended Acceleration Feel, Reduced Surge in Low Speed Maneuvers, Stumble, Loud Ticking Noise While Coasting Down, Harsh Tip-In/Tip-Out Shifting, Lack of Engine Performance when Cold, Park-Reverse-Drive Shifter Concerns, Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) Illuminated - DTC P0097, P054F, P24C7, P0128, P2BAA, P2635, P11CC, P10D1, P0483, P2636, P0181, P22FE, P0263, P0266, P0269, P0272, P0275, P0278, P0281, P0284, P040C, P040D, P040E, P041C, P041D, P041E Set

Brand:
Model:
Model Year:
VIN:
Engine:
Transmission:
from
to
from
to
Chevrolet
Silverado Models
Diesel (RPO L5P)
GMC
Sierra Models

Involved Region or Country
North America and N.A. Export Regions
Condition
Some customers may comment on one or more of the following conditions:
MIL is illuminated.
Hesitation
Stalling
Engine speed flare
Unintended acceleration feeling
Reduce surge in low speed maneuvers
Stumble
Loud ticking noise (injectors) heard during coast down
Harsh tip-in/tip-out shifting
Lack of cold engine performance
Park-Reverse-Drive shifter concerns
The technician may find one or more of the following DTCs set:
P0097
P0128
P0181
P0263
P0266
P0269

duramaxdiesel

Dmax Nut
Oct 23, 2008
Montreal, Canada
It's pretty awesome that no one here has experienced any kind of catastrophic engine damage yet. I mean, shit does happen with any manufactures regardless. Other than a few software updates I think the L5P is one refined motor.

RPM Motorsports

smokinum
May 13, 2008
Central Valley Ca.
Just had the "stall" happen to me this week for the first time. Was doing a three point turn in my shop lot, went from drive to reverse & drive pretty quick and the engine died. Fired right back up and kept driving. Going to try and get up to the dealer to get the update done, but I'm hearing it's a patch, and the main update is in the works..

NinjaMax

WTF!
Oct 3, 2012
Severance, Colorado
Just had the "stall" happen to me this week for the first time. Was doing a three point turn in my shop lot, went from drive to reverse & drive pretty quick and the engine died. Fired right back up and kept driving. Going to try and get up to the dealer to get the update done, but I'm hearing it's a patch, and the main update is in the works..

Has it done the confused gear thing at low speeds? When I'm slowly slowing down to around 20 at almost a coast, its like it can't decide on a gear..tends to kinda rock back and forth till I get the gas or breaks..