2016 Steering Gear Box

JerryL

Feb 9, 2010
Emporia, Ks.
Steering Box Replaced 4 Times

I drive a low mileage, 2002 Chevy 3/4 ton Duramax Crew Cab short bed.
I replaced my steering box about 3 years ago. I decided to save some money and bought a rebuilt one through Rockauto. They were great about replacing it (about 1 yr later) with another rebuilt when the first one wouldn't adjust the slack out. The lower bushing was still good. The second rebuilt one did the same thing. Good lower bushing but couldn't adjust the slack out. In both cases I would adjust till I had some bind and still had slack in the box, not the steering column. My front end guy checked and found no problems with the front end. (Actually some time after the second rebuilt I replaced all 4 ty-rods.) Rockauto, was still working with me as warranty replacements. I was working out of town when the second rebuilt box got loose. Rockauto felt bad about things and sent me a NEW Lares. I had it installed since I was out of town. It was great for the first ~1,000 miles. NO SLOP! But it actually loosened up on my way home. This was all highway driving on the NEW Lares! I replaced it at around 2,000 miles (I'm home at this point.) when it had nearly 1/8" slop in the bottom bushing. I'm surprised it hadn't start leaking. Now I'm on my second NEW Lares. I've gone about 2,000 miles and it has about 1/16th" of play in the bottom bushing. I've got sloppy steering AGAIN! Looks like I'm going to bite the bullet and buy a NEW AC Delco. Oh how I wish I'd done that in the first place. OBTW, I just passed the 150,000 mile mark about a month ago. Admittedly, I drive 3 miles of gravel each time I make a trip from and to my house. But if Lares can't handle that ...

036.6turbo

Jan 17, 2014
I wonder if one from a 2015 can be retro fitted to it. The electronic steering assist made its way to the 2500s in 2016 and that is when this became a problem.

Hell I have a 2015 box on the shelf that is no good, but could be used for mock up.

Hardest part would be doing away with the electronics on the 2016.

I'm sure it will throw stabilitrac warnings and a few others, without the electronics hooked up.

SSchmi5519

LLY Cult Leader
Oct 19, 2008
Arizona
I drive a low mileage, 2002 Chevy 3/4 ton Duramax Crew Cab short bed.
I replaced my steering box about 3 years ago. I decided to save some money and bought a rebuilt one through Rockauto. They were great about replacing it (about 1 yr later) with another rebuilt when the first one wouldn't adjust the slack out. The lower bushing was still good. The second rebuilt one did the same thing. Good lower bushing but couldn't adjust the slack out. In both cases I would adjust till I had some bind and still had slack in the box, not the steering column. My front end guy checked and found no problems with the front end. (Actually some time after the second rebuilt I replaced all 4 ty-rods.) Rockauto, was still working with me as warranty replacements. I was working out of town when the second rebuilt box got loose. Rockauto felt bad about things and sent me a NEW Lares. I had it installed since I was out of town. It was great for the first ~1,000 miles. NO SLOP! But it actually loosened up on my way home. This was all highway driving on the NEW Lares! I replaced it at around 2,000 miles (I'm home at this point.) when it had nearly 1/8" slop in the bottom bushing. I'm surprised it hadn't start leaking. Now I'm on my second NEW Lares. I've gone about 2,000 miles and it has about 1/16th" of play in the bottom bushing. I've got sloppy steering AGAIN! Looks like I'm going to bite the bullet and buy a NEW AC Delco. Oh how I wish I'd done that in the first place. OBTW, I just passed the 150,000 mile mark about a month ago. Admittedly, I drive 3 miles of gravel each time I make a trip from and to my house. But if Lares can't handle that ...

I was under the impression that NEW OEM boxes were no longer available...unless someone has a stash of NOS parts?

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
New OEM boxes from the dealer cannot be had they do not exist. Your best bet is a low mileage original from a wrecking yard. All rebuilt boxes are worse than factory assembled.

Edit: lml boxes are available from the dealer but you won't find an 01-10 box

Last edited:

JerryL

Feb 9, 2010
Emporia, Ks.
UPDATE to my original post on 08-02-2018.

1. I've been "told" by two different sources that changing the geometry of the front end by adding lift "can" cause binding which can cause premature failure of the steering box lower bushing. I wonder how many steering box problems have been caused by adding lift.

2. Lares Corp is great to deal with! I'm working with the company to replace my NEW, not reman, steering box. I've been "up front" with them so they know about the history of my truck and the multiple steering box replacements.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
I bought my ‘07 new with a 6” Fabtech lift and 35’s. Half of its life it had cognito center link braces installed. 10 rough years and about 280 000km later got rid of it with the original steering box which was still tight and didn’t leak.

I probably know about 6 guys personally that have ‘13-‘16 model years with varying degrees of lifts and all have over 100 000km on them with no issues so I’m not so sure your sources information is accurate.

JerryL

Feb 9, 2010
Emporia, Ks.
I don't know what to think about this any more. :-( I've had my front shocks replaced. I'm ordering a new steering damper. And I'm ordering a rebuilt Lares steering box because they have been excellent to work with and are still willing to warranty the one I put in about 4-5,000 miles ago even though they think it's a problem with my truck front end. I'll come back to this thread in a few days when I receive my parts and get them installed. I'm hoping my steering damper is bad and allowing the bumps from road to have a negative impact on my steering box. I'll post what I find. If anyone comes up with some insight, ... PLEASE