2011 LML engine issue

ChevyMax56

Jun 29, 2015
SE Kansas
So we bought my wife the truck she always wanted year and half ago. used with 153000 miles on it has 165000 on it now. its been deleted by previous owner (unknown tuner) and also looks like he has had the cp4 replaced just going off what looks like has been removed and reinstalled.
Anyways moving on to the issue. So she was out of town for a few days so I thought I would be nice and hand wash her truck for her. she gets back and goes to work the next morning and I get a call saying its acting up and blowing white and will barely go over 30 mph but no codes pop up. so I tell her to pull over and shut if off and try that real quick. after she restarts it everything is fine has full power again. (this happened in the first position tune). later that night I try looking everything over not knowing what I'm looking for since it not acting up. nothing happens again until we wash it again and the following morning it happens. and again shutting it off and restarting clears it up. SIDE NOTE idle is fine no rough idle just when it gets up to around 1800 to 2000 rpms sitting in park will you notice it and will puff white smoke. and it smells like raw fuel.
so with that in mind that the issue happens when I wash by hand. (it only did it once our of the 5 or so times we took it to the car wash and power washed it). i got it act up i put my v2 on it and watched the injectors and the rail pressure. the injectors were fine. but the rail pressure was between 7-10 thousand even at 1800-2000rpms which i believe is low. but is doesn't make sense why it would be dumping fuel. so then i went through all the connectors and checked for any water intrusion and applied dielectric grease on all of them including ecm plugs. i checked for loose wires and looked over the air intake piping. after doing that it hadn't done it for about 6 months or more going through several washes. so i really thought i had it fixed. but with this covid crap she's been working from home since march and we decided it would be a good time to start making the modifications to the looks that she's been wanting done so i washed it again at the house, about 2-3 days later we get the wheels and tires installed and i find i have a troublesome brand new tpms sensor so the next day I run it over to the dealer to see if there scanner can fix that issue and as I'm pulling out of drive way it acts up same thing pull over shut it off start it take off no problems. that was a couple weeks ago. then Tuesday this week we ran it up to overland park to get it tinted and drove through rain the entire way up there (about 1 hour drive) and had NO issues. which is the other baffling thing that it doesn't do it after being driven through rain.
I had thought about pressuring up the aftercooler but I'm really not thinking it mechanical since after you restart it it clears up. I'm leaning towards one of the sensors but I'm not sure which one to go after. Oh one other thing it will do it in all 5 positions of the dial. I have looked for anyone else having this issue and i haven't found anyone with a similar enough problem to follow there advice. So I hope someone here can put me in the direction that I need to go. I don't know if you guys have enough info but I'll greatly give you more if i can think or test anything else. thanks for reading my long winded post and for the help.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I would start going through all the engine grounds and making sure they are clean and secure.

when you are washing the truck and it acts up, did you wash the engine or under the truck any? or just the body?

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
Unplug both the egr cooler bypass valve and the egr valve. Hopefully they are still plugged in, cuz it sounds like your issue. And it's a nice easy fix!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
^^ good point. may not be related to washing the truck at all. those are the symptoms of a leaking / open EGR valve

ChevyMax56

Jun 29, 2015
SE Kansas
Sorry guys I haven't got back to this to update you. the egr bypass valve is plugged in. (assuming its the valve on the driverside near the front). But i'm struggling find the the other plug for the egr valve.

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
Drivers side is egr valve. Passenger is bypass. Unplug them both
a93e8a286ee1d886f2111deba6ff1388.jpg
a661386e27bc622e6b9564188494c413.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

ChevyMax56

Jun 29, 2015
SE Kansas
so i can finally do an official update on the issue. I got her to take her truck out this weekend after a month and half. and it didn't hesitate or puff white smoke or anything. so thank you guys for the advice on going after the egr. i do appreciate it.