2011 F150 3.5L EcoBoost with high miles

kubitza123

Sep 19, 2016
Texas
Yeah I like the way it runs no doubt , trying to decide what to do with my Duramax now. Wife is tired of me throwing money at it so may stud it when I fix the head gaskets and sell it or trade it or something if I can without completely loosing my ass.

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
Well boys mine is for sale and I know no one wants it but there is a plus. I’m at 292k right now and the thing runs like a top. So y’all got lots more life to live in them.

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
Back in the summer, my 2014 F150 Screw with 3.5L ecoboost got 17.9mpg average for all the spring/summer. Some less but towards the end, I was getting it figured out how to drive it and get the best mileage. With winter set in frigid cold, start-ups to warm up, etc. the mileage is low 16. I'd sell it tomorrow if it dips down to the 13-15s you're talking about.

For reference, my daily commute has virtually zero flat ground for more than a mile or so at a time. Constant rolling hills pretty much. And I'm pretty even 50/50 stop n go versus interstate (70mph). If I'm not in a hurry and traffic is light on the interstate, I'll sometimes run about 65mph instead of the normal 72mph and it'll do a lot better on fuel.

Also, my truck is 100% stock with stock size tires on 18" FX4 wheels. I really want to go with aftermarket 20" wheels and a slightly more aggressive AT tire (something like the Nitto Terra Grapplers or Toyos etc instead of the road tread bridgestones it has on it now) but I'm having trouble finding lightweight 20" wheels and tires.

Firefightkev

May 30, 2014
Central Florida
I had a new 2015 silverado with a 5.3, it was junk. I had nothing but transmission problems, so i went back to a 2007 duramax. So when my wife was looking at trading in her car we went with a f150 with the 2.7, i can tall you the mpg is alot better then the 5.3 but sure isnt what ford claims. I will say so far it's been a good truck for the wife.

joshd472

Oct 10, 2016
Back in the summer, my 2014 F150 Screw with 3.5L ecoboost got 17.9mpg average for all the spring/summer. Some less but towards the end, I was getting it figured out how to drive it and get the best mileage. With winter set in frigid cold, start-ups to warm up, etc. the mileage is low 16. I'd sell it tomorrow if it dips down to the 13-15s you're talking about.

For reference, my daily commute has virtually zero flat ground for more than a mile or so at a time. Constant rolling hills pretty much. And I'm pretty even 50/50 stop n go versus interstate (70mph). If I'm not in a hurry and traffic is light on the interstate, I'll sometimes run about 65mph instead of the normal 72mph and it'll do a lot better on fuel.

Also, my truck is 100% stock with stock size tires on 18" FX4 wheels. I really want to go with aftermarket 20" wheels and a slightly more aggressive AT tire (something like the Nitto Terra Grapplers or Toyos etc instead of the road tread bridgestones it has on it now) but I'm having trouble finding lightweight 20" wheels and tires.

I just put on some Mickey Thompson/Roush wheels today with 275/60/20 duratracs. The tires only weigh 3lbs more than stock. I will let you know the mileage difference on the way home.

joshd472

Oct 10, 2016
Rest the read out when I bought the truck a month ago and had a 16.9 mpg avg. reset the reading on the way home after getting the new wheels and tires put on. Put about 70 miles of mixed driving on the truck this evening 16.9 mpg.

lutzjk913

May 5, 2010
groveport, ohio
Buddy has a 2016 f150 with the 3.5 ecoboost

Has over 60k miles already and he's seeing high 19's. Been as good as low 20's on several road trips. 100% stock with a set of a 275 BFG's on it.

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
Guys. I’ve came to realize I’m stuck with this thing soooooo. Tune to come. Catless DP. 4” exhaust. But just want the flow not the sound so... thinking diamond eye stainless 4” with the muffler with an FTE resonator? Not sure if I want the shorter or the 30” one. Only $30 difference. Gonna go with some 5 star tunes probably. Hopefully get rid of the stupid Ford shifts. When the tires are shot going for some new wheels and tires. Hopefully gonna be a fun fancy truck.

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
Buddy has a 2016 f150 with the 3.5 ecoboost

Has over 60k miles already and he's seeing high 19's. Been as good as low 20's on several road trips. 100% stock with a set of a 275 BFG's on it.

I think in 2016 or maybe even 2017, Ford made changes and improved the MPG and supposedly the coking issue with the head/valves common with most DI engine. My bosses 2017 3.5L ecoboost (same truck as mine but newer) gets high 19s routinely. That's more than 10% better which is reasonably significant over time.

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
I just put on some Mickey Thompson/Roush wheels today with 275/60/20 duratracs. The tires only weigh 3lbs more than stock. I will let you know the mileage difference on the way home.

Those are pretty tall tires aren't they? Are you leveled? Which wheels did you get? Pics? :D

And thanks for the feedback on the MPGs. :thumb:

joshd472

Oct 10, 2016
Those are pretty tall tires aren't they? Are you leveled? Which wheels did you get? Pics? :D

And thanks for the feedback on the MPGs. :thumb:

No problem. The tires are basically a 33x11 and the wheels are Mickey Thompson/Roush with a +18 offset. I didn't have to do any leveling or trimming and have no rubbing. I would like to take the rear blocks out but I'd be all squaty body towing my boat.

Hoping to get rid of all the chrome with some color matching in the next few weeks.

Edit. I tried upload a pic and the forum will not let me try click below for a pic.

https://www.f150forum.com/f3/noob-gulf-coast-404054/

Last edited:

joshd472

Oct 10, 2016
Guys. I’ve came to realize I’m stuck with this thing soooooo. Tune to come. Catless DP. 4” exhaust. But just want the flow not the sound so... thinking diamond eye stainless 4” with the muffler with an FTE resonator? Not sure if I want the shorter or the 30” one. Only $30 difference. Gonna go with some 5 star tunes probably. Hopefully get rid of the stupid Ford shifts. When the tires are shot going for some new wheels and tires. Hopefully gonna be a fun fancy truck.

I'm scared to do anything to my exhaust. I've heard these trucks with an exhaust and it's just awful :(

What do you not like about the shifting?

countrycorey

Trust Me I'm an Engineer
Jan 30, 2010
LA
I think in 2016 or maybe even 2017, Ford made changes and improved the MPG and supposedly the coking issue with the head/valves common with most DI engine. My bosses 2017 3.5L ecoboost (same truck as mine but newer) gets high 19s routinely. That's more than 10% better which is reasonably significant over time.
What changes?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
I'm scared to do anything to my exhaust. I've heard these trucks with an exhaust and it's just awful :(

What do you not like about the shifting?

They sound like absolute chit with any kind of loud muffler. But a catless DP and holy hell them turbos scream. Even with a stock exhaust. My reason for eating a new exhaust is cause 6 cylinders going down to a 2.5 inch pipe doesn’t set well with me. Thinking a 30” resonator and muffler will keep it quiet.

As far as the trans. The thing shifts good and firm but sometimes at low speeds it searches for gears and if I don’t stop all the way it slams into first. But if I ease in the gas it’s fine. And any other time it’s fine. Hoping it’s just fords screwed up trans tuning not a rebuild situation. Miles probably gonna tear into me if he sees this :roflmao: