2009 GMC Acadia timing chains

036.6turbo

Jan 17, 2014
My daughter's Acadia is throwing a P0008 and a P0017 ?I think? Anyways, it has 165,000 on it and I believe I'll be installing a set of timing chains on it soon.

Has anyone done this job before?

GM SI say's to pull the engine first, I obviously won't be doing that. I'm looking for any insights you guys may have.

I think Cloyes makes a replacement chain kit, not sure what all gaskets I will need, I know the cam covers and front cover have to come off, water pump as well.

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
A guy at works Dad owns a shop. He’s overseas right now but from what I remember it was a nightmare of a job. I think he did pull the motor

036.6turbo

Jan 17, 2014
A guy at works Dad owns a shop. He’s overseas right now but from what I remember it was a nightmare of a job. I think he did pull the motor

Guy on YouTube did one in a Buick Enclave, without pulling the motor. So if it's on the internet, it must be true? Right?

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
Guy on YouTube did one in a Buick Enclave, without pulling the motor. So if it's on the internet, it must be true? Right?

Hell anything is possible lol I’m not sure what exactly it entails. It may be one of those “yes you can do it with the motor in but it’s gonna take twice as long and be more aggravating than just pulling it “ type deals. If he wasn’t off in training or something I’d ask him

036.6turbo

Jan 17, 2014
Hell anything is possible lol I’m not sure what exactly it entails. It may be one of those “yes you can do it with the motor in but it’s gonna take twice as long and be more aggravating than just pulling it “ type deals. If he wasn’t off in training or something I’d ask him

If my lift was a four post, I might go ahead and drop the motor, but mine is a scissor lift. Not near as friendly for lifting the car off of the sub frame / motor.

onebaddmaxxx

Feb 22, 2009
Cecil County Md
I worked at the dealer a few years back and none of the techs that worked there ever did it without pulling the engine. For those guys who were doing it every week, it was roughly a day job all said and done with draining fluids and to the test drive.

stroke250

I May Be Lost...
Jul 1, 2008
Idaho
I worked at the dealer a few years back and none of the techs that worked there ever did it without pulling the engine. For those guys who were doing it every week, it was roughly a day job all said and done with draining fluids and to the test drive.

Kind of off topic, but are the newer ones any better? I have heard the Acadias in general have been plagued with problems.

Tyler_LBZ

Feb 26, 2015
NC
The way I've seen it done most for replacing the timing chains is dropping the engine with the sub-frame.

Kind of off topic, but are the newer ones any better? I have heard the Acadias in general have been plagued with problems.

The 07-10 Acadia's (Lamda platform) had the majority of the issues, the timing chain problem was fixed by GM after 2010. We have a 2012 Denali and it has been great for our family. Only thing we have replaced was the alternator and battery.

Tothemax

xgmtech
Oct 16, 2014
new york
whom ever can do them in the car is a super hero. worked for chevy for 10 years and have done that job a dozen plus time and would never attempt them in the car.

036.6turbo

Jan 17, 2014

Our guy pulls the cradle.. f acadias

whom ever can do them in the car is a super hero. worked for chevy for 10 years and have done that job a dozen plus time and would never attempt them in the car.

You guys are KILLING ME! I really have no feasible way to drop the cradle and motor out of this thing.
:banging::banging:

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Do you have a way to lift the body off the cradle? Yeah, I know, not easy either....

Hambone

Always learning
Jan 24, 2016
Florida
Dang it I bought my wife a traverse with the 3.6....
Thankfully she puts like 5k miles a year so I got some time before I take on that challenge :woott:

036.6turbo

Jan 17, 2014
The way I've seen it done most for replacing the timing chains is dropping the engine with the sub-frame.

The 07-10 Acadia's (Lamda platform) had the majority of the issues, the timing chain problem was fixed by GM after 2010. We have a 2012 Denali and it has been great for our family. Only thing we have replaced was the alternator and battery.

This "high feature" or VVT 3.6 is in all kind of vehicles, Camaro, CTS, SRX, Enclave, Traverse etc etc. All the early ones had issues. Not just the Acadia.

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
Buddy of mine did his Camaro with 2 floor jacks. You having a lift wouldn’t be that bad. Strap it to the lift and raise to where it just starts taking pressure off. Unbolt the cradle or k member or whatever it’s called. If that’s what y’all are talking about. And then lift the body up off it.