2008 lmm p0090

BDB59

Dec 29, 2015
So I finished up doing my SDP Y bridge, uppipe, downpipe, and pcv reroute on my 2008 LMM. Was not a fun job but I got through it. Only problem now is that I am getting a p0090p fuel pressure regulator control circuit code. I tried pulling the plug just to see if I noticed anything different and I ended up with p0090 and the high fuel rail pressure code which I think was p0088. I did end up replacing one of the small rubber fuel hoses during install and used the same procedures i as would changing a fuel filter. Not sure if that would have caused any of this or not. I need some serious help. Im going to check the wiring, but if I don't find anything what else can I do to pinpoint the problem? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

BDB59

Dec 29, 2015
Does anyone have the wiring diagram for the fuel system that shows the fproblem wiring and ecm? Trying to figure out if my wiring is bad or the ecm is bad.

Ron Nielson

Oct 11, 2009
Berryton, KS
There are wiring diagrams in the builders manuals at: https://www.gmupfitter.com/pdflists/view/6

DTC P0090

Fuel Pressure Regulator Control Circuit

Circuit/System Description

High pressure fuel is regulated by the fuel rail pressure (FRP) regulator mounted on the fuel injection pump. The FRP regulator is controlled by the engine control module (ECM). The FRP regulator has a solenoid supply voltage circuit and solenoid control circuit. The ECM monitors the current on the circuits to detect a failure.

Conditions for Running the DTC

The ignition is ON.
The commanded FRP regulator current is between 40-1,500 mA.

Conditions for Setting the DTC

The FRP regulator circuit current is not between 40-1,600 mA.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets

DTC P0090 is a Type A DTC.
The ECM commands the engine to operate in the Reduced Engine Power mode.
The message center displays Reduced Engine Power.

Conditions for Clearing the DTC

DTC P0090 is a Type A DTC.

Diagnostic Aids

There are no driveability concerns associated with the FRP regulator unless a DTC is present. The most likely cause of this DTC is a sticking FRP regulator.
If the fuel system pressure is actually too high, a fuel knock condition will exist.
If the fuse that supplies voltage to terminal C1-76 of the ECM is open, this DTC will set.

Special Tools

CH-48027 Digital Pressure Gage
J 35616-200 Test Light Probe Kit

Circuit/System Verification

Turn ON the ignition and observe that the Desired FRP Regulator parameter and the FRP Regulator Command are at the same mA values. The FRP Regulator Command should be at 16 percent.
The fuel pressure difference between the Actual Fuel Rail Pressure and the Desired Fuel Rail Pressure should be less than 5 MPa.
Operate the vehicle within the Conditions for Running the DTC. You may also operate the vehicle within the conditions that you observed from the Freeze Frame/Failure Records data.

Circuit/System Testing

Important: Failure to allow the ECM communications to completely terminate with the scan tool may result in misdiagnosis.

If DTC U0105, is also set, refer to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List - Vehicle. See: Diagnostic Trouble Code Descriptions

Turn OFF the ignition until the ECM is powered down.
Disconnect the FRP regulator in-line connector.
Probe the solenoid control circuit terminal 2 with a test lamp connected to ground. The test lamp should not illuminate.

Important: A solenoid control circuit that is shorted to voltage will illuminate the test lamp on both the supply voltage circuit and the solenoid control circuit.

If the test lamp illuminates, test the solenoid control circuit for a short to voltage. If the circuit tests normal, replace the ECM.

Turn ON the ignition.
Connect the test lamp between the solenoid supply voltage circuit, terminal 1 and a ground. The test lamp should illuminate.

If the test lamp did not illuminate, test the solenoid supply voltage circuit for an open or short to ground. If the circuit tests normal, replace the ECM.

Connect the test lamp between the solenoid supply voltage circuit, terminal 1 and the solenoid control circuit, terminal 2. The test lamp should illuminate.

If the test lamp did not illuminate, test the solenoid control circuit for an open. If the circuit tests normal, replace the ECM.

Test the harness between the inline connector and the FRP regulator for an open or short to voltage. If the circuits tests normal, replace the FRP regulator.

Repair Instructions

Important: During code clearing, the ECM must be powered down. Power down is achieved by turning off the ignition key and waiting for loss of communication, indicating power down. The time to power down may vary from vehicle to vehicle. After power down is achieved, turn the ignition key to the ON position and clear the trouble code using the scan tool clear code function and power down ECM. Repeat power down if the trouble code does not clear on first attempt.

Harbin_22

Dec 4, 2010
Southern Indiana
I got that code one time when I started the truck, ran for maybe 5 min, shut it off, restarted it maybe 10 sec later, and it set the code. Never came back again