Info: 2007 Tahoe AFM disable

duramaxzak

Wanna be puller!
Nov 22, 2008
Minnesota
I picked up a 2007 Chevy Tahoe from a co-worker that has a engine mis on the #4 cylinder. His mechanic said motor was shot. From the research I did I think it has a collapsed lifter for the AFM (active fuel management) system. Sounds like a pretty common problem on these trucks with the 5.3l. I'm looking to change the cam and lifters to a non-afm. I guess my question is can the AFM be turned off with EfiLive?

Thanks Zak

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 27

duramaxzak

Wanna be puller!
Nov 22, 2008
Minnesota
I found my answer on gas forum search. Efi is able to disable the AFM, sounds like its as easy as an ON/OFF option! Just need to get another license.

bmc1025

Jan 25, 2013
Big Bone, KY
Just clarifying for others reading this... AFM can be disabled in EfiLive but in order to get the reliability benefits you must remove the AFM components and replace with non AFM.

There is a small filter screen in the back of the block under the oil pressure sensor, this filters oil going to the AFM components and can get clogged starving the lifters oil.

My wife's 07 Tahoe is lifted with 285s and hardly even enters V4 mode. With 180k I think this will he a weekend project sometime this summer.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Some people do just diable it and leave the AFM components intact, but the right way is to change the cam and lifters. I'm planning on buying this kit to do the delete.

http://www.texas-speed.com/p-717-dod-afm-delete-kit.aspx

just fyi, i seen two buddies have issues with their cams, heads, ect. not in this specific application but in built 5.7 and 6.0. the hardening process didnt work very well and the lobes were worn the hell out in under 10k miles. i understand that kinda thing happens but texas speed wanted nothing to do with their phone calls to address the issue. Tactfully placed forum posts were disregarded and removed as well. mind you, its not like they stuck the cam in via a setup my buddies put together, it was a whole get up from texas that they bought.

jacobdewey

This won't last long...
Jan 14, 2011
There is a small filter screen in the back of the block under the oil pressure sensor, this filters oil going to the AFM components and can get clogged starving the lifters oil.

This happened to my little brothers 2007 5.3. They use a cotter pin in the lifters, and he ended up collapsing 2 rollers and etching his lobes on the cam. al of this happened at 70k. Personally I would replace the all the AFM shiz with the old style non AFM. Once you get them apart you will see how cheesy the whole system is.

duramaxzak

Wanna be puller!
Nov 22, 2008
Minnesota
just fyi, i seen two buddies have issues with their cams, heads, ect. not in this specific application but in built 5.7 and 6.0. the hardening process didnt work very well and the lobes were worn the hell out in under 10k miles. i understand that kinda thing happens but texas speed wanted nothing to do with their phone calls to address the issue. Tactfully placed forum posts were disregarded and removed as well. mind you, its not like they stuck the cam in via a setup my buddies put together, it was a whole get up from texas that they bought.

Good to know! Thanks

I will be using a stock GM 4.8 cam in mine, so the cam should be ok.

DetailsUnlimited

Oct 26, 2009
Benton, Ar
Sub. Mine has been turned off for many years, but idles like crap. 93 octane seems to remedy this issue. Still need to take it a part and replace the parts. I have the police tohoe tune I want to run in it.

AJH

Sep 7, 2015
Memphis TN
I had been thinking about this. Good to have the info on hand over here. May try to get mine done before summer hits. :thumb:

duramaxzak

Wanna be puller!
Nov 22, 2008
Minnesota
Just as I suspected, collapsed AFM lifter. You can see the lifter on the far right is stuck closed.

image_zpsbee0mqus.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

image_zpsw7jhqiwy.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
What's the reason for going with a cam from a 4.8?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

duramaxzak

Wanna be puller!
Nov 22, 2008
Minnesota
What's the reason for going with a cam from a 4.8?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

The 2007 and newer 4.8's didn't come with AFM, but have a single bolt for timing gear. The older 5.3 cams use 3 bolts for timing gear, so you have to replace timing gear also. A new 4.8 cam is only about $90.

This link has some good info in it and part numbers.

http://lt1swap.com/afm_delete.htm