LLY: 2006 LLY Advice

howard8448

L33T
Mar 21, 2015
Oceanside, CA
I think that's what I'm going to do. I started looking at everything and I don't have any extreme angles, I'm only running 33s, and I'm not going to be trading this down extreme trails. I'll go with the MOOGs and some sleeves.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
I think that's what I'm going to do. I started looking at everything and I don't have any extreme angles, I'm only running 33s, and I'm not going to be trading this down extreme trails. I'll go with the MOOGs and some sleeves.

That should do fine. Consider some cognito center link braces at some point as well.

howard8448

L33T
Mar 21, 2015
Oceanside, CA
So I ordered the Airdog II 165, EFI live Spade Jack from duramax tuner, XDP performance and winter fuel additive, and finally Cognito HD sway bar end links since my RCD ones were snapped. All were ordered from XDP since they seem to have the best prices and fast shipping.:coolspot:

cstephens93

Oct 13, 2014
Tallahassee, FL
I could be wrong and I know these guys will correct me. But tie rods with sleeves still have more weak points than the HD tie rods.

Yeah I was reading that, but you also have a 6inch lift haha so I just wasnt sure if that applies more so to you than someone with stock height and no adjustments made

lts1ow

Needs moar PAH!
May 14, 2012
NJ
Forgot.. Also Edge Insight CTS with expandable EGT probe. Does anyone know the strongest/best place to install the probe?

If your LBZ is like my LLY, passenger side manfold, towards the back. Pull the wheel liner and its right there for ya. Drill/tap and install pyro.

I passed the harness through the main bulkhead pass through on the driver side.

howard8448

L33T
Mar 21, 2015
Oceanside, CA
If your LBZ is like my LLY, passenger side manfold, towards the back. Pull the wheel liner and its right there for ya. Drill/tap and install pyro.

I passed the harness through the main bulkhead pass through on the driver side.

Awesome. Thanks I figured it would be easy but I have read about peoples manifolds cracking around the hole. So I didn't know if it mattered where on the manifold that probe is installed.

howard8448

L33T
Mar 21, 2015
Oceanside, CA
Yeah I was reading that, but you also have a 6inch lift haha so I just wasnt sure if that applies more so to you than someone with stock height and no adjustments made

Regarding my truck I won't really be doing any launches. If I'm offroad then I will be more or so in the mud or on light trails. I have thought about going with the rare parts. It will really depend on the price/deal I can get at the time.

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC
www.mydieseladdiction.com
This was a little too hard of a boost launch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfOi146werI

No good starting line videos but I have left at 3000+RPM with 30x14 cheater slicks on all 4 corners and gone 6.5 at 106mph in the 1/8 with tie rod sleeves on MOOG tie rods and a straight centerlink. Tie rod sleeves on stock or good stock replacement tie rods work great when they are used at the correct angles, just like a GM 9.25 IFS AAM axle is every bit as strong as a Dodge 9.25 SAS AAM axle as long as it is run with everything at the correct angles. On the other hand you start running things at angles they weren't meant to run and you need to over engineer every part of the system to handle the added stress you put them under simply from the angles. I've always thought guys were funny that go with a cheaper lift kit because they can't afford the bigger lift, then they spend more than the difference in price to upgrade and fix problems from running a lift kit cranked up. None of that is directed at you Howard.

howard8448

L33T
Mar 21, 2015
Oceanside, CA
This was a little too hard of a boost launch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfOi146werI

No good starting line videos but I have left at 3000+RPM with 30x14 cheater slicks on all 4 corners and gone 6.5 at 106mph in the 1/8 with tie rod sleeves on MOOG tie rods and a straight centerlink. Tie rod sleeves on stock or good stock replacement tie rods work great when they are used at the correct angles, just like a GM 9.25 IFS AAM axle is every bit as strong as a Dodge 9.25 SAS AAM axle as long as it is run with everything at the correct angles. On the other hand you start running things at angles they weren't meant to run and you need to over engineer every part of the system to handle the added stress you put them under simply from the angles. I've always thought guys were funny that go with a cheaper lift kit because they can't afford the bigger lift, then they spend more than the difference in price to upgrade and fix problems from running a lift kit cranked up. None of that is directed at you Howard.

No stress, that actually brings up a good question, how good are the RCD lift kits? I mean it looks good, the CV axles don't seem to be at extreme angles or anything. Although I have now found that the sway bar end links (the RCD ones that come with the lift) were broken when I bought it. I've now ordered Cognito ones to replace them. I'm actually suprised at how well this truck rides. All of the lifted trucks I've ridden in usually have a rough ride but the RCD, it rides smooth.

http://racecardynamics.com/suspension/14-6-lift-kit-w-fox-shock-absorbers-gmc-k2500hd3500-4wd.html

howard8448

L33T
Mar 21, 2015
Oceanside, CA
Now finding that my keys are cranked I am going to let them out a little while I am replacing the tie rods, still haven't decided between MOOG or Rare Parts. While I have the front end torn apart is there anything else I should look into? Just so I'm not having to take it to the shop for multiple alignments.

howard8448

L33T
Mar 21, 2015
Oceanside, CA
So after doing some research I'm going to do the Kryptonite Stage 3 front end. It should get rid of all my weak spots in the steering and help replace the worn out tie rods. I'm also working on getting some other things. I haven't limped the trans yet but I know it's just a matter of time. So that will be my next big purchase along with the Kryptonite package and updated tunes.

As for any other performance mods what would you all recommend? Again, this is a daily driver, so it needs to be reliable and bulletproof.