2006 LBZ cooling problem

VEfreak

Oct 18, 2018
That’s what I thought but I just wanted to be sure. Don’t want to have to take this front of the engine apart for a third time when I could just replace everything now.

VEfreak

Oct 18, 2018
Is this fan shroud someone’s solution to the last model’s cooling problems? The thing is a total pain in the ass an complicates this job in multiple ways.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Is this fan shroud someone’s solution to the last model’s cooling problems? The thing is a total pain in the ass an complicates this job in multiple ways.

They get worse to deal with the newer the truck gets. But they are necessary. You can get away with cutting a couple of the supports as you need to access stuff like the crank pulley bolt but it needs to be there and fairly rigid.

VEfreak

Oct 18, 2018
Yeah it’s pretty nuts. I’ve worked on Cummins and 7.3 power strokes but this is by far the biggest pain in the ass. Just a steep learning curve I guess. This job went way smoother and faster than the last time I worked on the cooling system and had to pull the fan.

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
They get worse to deal with the newer the truck gets. But they are necessary. You can get away with cutting a couple of the supports as you need to access stuff like the crank pulley bolt but it needs to be there and fairly rigid.

Can you expound on why it needs to be there? It was the first thing to go on my 06 and I haven’t had any issues at all. But I don’t tow.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
"But I don’t tow"

There's your reason

Makes a significant difference when towing in the heat. Told my brother to just ditch his.... I wound up getting him another because his truck kept getting hot pulling hills with a small load on the back (9k)

VEfreak

Oct 18, 2018
I'm curious what your opinions are on a coolant filtration system. The truck has 355K on it, has been through numerous coolant changes and at least one water pump. Seems like anything in the system would be gone by now. I'm interested in maximizing the longevity and reliability of this truck, I won't be able to afford a new truck for a long time, but I'm not really interested in spending money on things that don't have a great return on investment. Thanks!

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Most of what you see in the coolant is from the coolant itself or its reaction with other components/metal, etc. Sure, the first flush you may see some casting sand but the coolant degrades over time and reacts with air to form silicates which can look like sand or mud.

I would say you are better off changing your coolant when needed / on a maintenance schedule then using a filter. Plus the filter doesn't restore the coolants ability to protect against corrosion or its lubrication but changing it does

VEfreak

Oct 18, 2018
Most of what you see in the coolant is from the coolant itself or its reaction with other components/metal, etc. Sure, the first flush you may see some casting sand but the coolant degrades over time and reacts with air to form silicates which can look like sand or mud.

I would say you are better off changing your coolant when needed / on a maintenance schedule then using a filter. Plus the filter doesn't restore the coolants ability to protect against corrosion or its lubrication but changing it does

Thanks for the detailed answer, everything you said makes good sense.

One last cooling system question. Does the ac Delco water pump I just removed have value to anyone or is it just trash? I’m assuming it’s trash since the new one came with no core fee, but thought it was worth asking.