2006 Allison whine noise

ripsnortinLB7

Jul 12, 2015
I am currently working on one of my customers vehicles. I've got a 2006 GMC duramax. The vehicle has EFI Live by Idaho Rob. DSP 5 with a 150 HP tune. The only transmission mod is a Transgo shift kit. This week the truck started doing some wired stuff. At idle in drive the truck pushes very hard. At a stop light I have to stand on the brake pedal to keep the truck from moving. Also when stopped at a stop light the truck makes a whining noise. It sounds like its coming from the transmission. As soon as I take my foot off the brake and let the truck move the whining stops. One more thing. The truck will not brake torque. During a converter stall test at WOT the RPM will not go higher than 900 rpm! and wont move the boost gauge. When driving down the highway the truck has good power and the turbo is boosting just fine! Any ideas? I think the stator inside my converter has failed but I have never seen this before and would like a second opinion.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
I am currently working on one of my customers vehicles. I've got a 2006 GMC duramax. The vehicle has EFI Live by Idaho Rob. DSP 5 with a 150 HP tune. The only transmission mod is a Transgo shift kit. This week the truck started doing some wired stuff. At idle in drive the truck pushes very hard. At a stop light I have to stand on the brake pedal to keep the truck from moving. Also when stopped at a stop light the truck makes a whining noise. It sounds like its coming from the transmission. As soon as I take my foot off the brake and let the truck move the whining stops. One more thing. The truck will not brake torque. During a converter stall test at WOT the RPM will not go higher than 900 rpm! and wont move the boost gauge. When driving down the highway the truck has good power and the turbo is boosting just fine! Any ideas? I think the stator inside my converter has failed but I have never seen this before and would like a second opinion.

You blew the sprag out of the converter.

matellefsen

Oct 14, 2014
I had these symptoms too. Converter was sent back today to have made new again. going to pull apart tranny too just in case metal made it into the tranny

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Converters do this when the converter company cheaps out and reuses the old sprag and race.

sschevyfreak

Sep 11, 2015
Have a 2008 dura max transmission shifted to 4th would not shift up or down . Stopped ,took off in forth pulled over put it in park . Tried to put in drive nothing , rolled backward. Turned off ignition for a few turned on shifted fine . Have other issues with anti lock and wheel speed sensors because of the 456 gears and 40's is this all related

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Robby05

Jul 25, 2014
Spokane, WA
Have a 2008 dura max transmission shifted to 4th would not shift up or down . Stopped ,took off in forth pulled over put it in park . Tried to put in drive nothing , rolled backward. Turned off ignition for a few turned on shifted fine . Have other issues with anti lock and wheel speed sensors because of the 456 gears and 40's is this all related

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What codes did it set?

sschevyfreak

Sep 11, 2015
Clutch pressure control solenoid 2 stuck on
Transmission control module
U0121
Print out says
Low or dirty fluid
Blocked oil passage in trams
Open or short circuit
Or