2006 Allison 6 spd: Trans pump bolt gaskets and copper washers?

thunder550

Apr 2, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Hey all, long time no talk. Recently bought a 2006 LBZ truck with 253k miles, all stock. Got a trans fluid leak coming from the small round inspection cover at the bottom of the bellhousing, just a few drips overnight. Converter is dry, stuck a borescope up there and it looks like it's either coming from the converter/input shaft seal or the bolts that hold the pump to the case...cleaned everything up good to try and see fresh fluid, hoping to get a better view here soon. Planning to pull the trans sometime in the coming weeks and replace the input shaft seal as well as whatever seals or gaskets go on the fluid pump bolts.

I've been able to find the converter shaft seal part number 29546682 no problem.

Have not been able to find a GM part number for the 10 rubber bolt seals, although it looks like Merchant has a kit that I can order. But a part number would help if anyone has it available.

I also have not been able to find a definitive answer on whether I need the copper washer seals or not, and what those part numbers are.

Can anyone help with the 10 seal part number, and whether or not I need the copper washers? Thanks!

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
O-rings for bellhousing bolts: 29535578, qty 10 needed
Copper washers: 9415545, qty 2 needed
Pump body o-ring to bellhousing: 29537620, qty 1 needed
Bellhousing/stator gaskets (to pull bellhousing and stator assy): 29536478 & 29540130, qty 1 each needed

Reactions: thunder550

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Hey all, long time no talk. Recently bought a 2006 LBZ truck with 253k miles, all stock. Got a trans fluid leak coming from the small round inspection cover at the bottom of the bellhousing, just a few drips overnight. Converter is dry, stuck a borescope up there and it looks like it's either coming from the converter/input shaft seal or the bolts that hold the pump to the case...cleaned everything up good to try and see fresh fluid, hoping to get a better view here soon. Planning to pull the trans sometime in the coming weeks and replace the input shaft seal as well as whatever seals or gaskets go on the fluid pump bolts.

I've been able to find the converter shaft seal part number 29546682 no problem.

Have not been able to find a GM part number for the 10 rubber bolt seals, although it looks like Merchant has a kit that I can order. But a part number would help if anyone has it available.

I also have not been able to find a definitive answer on whether I need the copper washer seals or not, and what those part numbers are.

Can anyone help with the 10 seal part number, and whether or not I need the copper washers? Thanks!

Welcome back Chris! how ya been?!

Reactions: thunder550

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Hey bud, it's been a long time! I'm doing pretty good, working on buying a 5th wheel for the fam...wife's SUV wouldn't cut it as a tow vehicle so I knew what I had to do :ROFLMAO:

How are you doing?

Hell yeah! 5th wheels are scarce right now, everyone and their brother are buying them lol. Good! Sold the limo a few months back to Anthony on here and got a 2020. Workin on selling our place and moving out to new river in the next month or so. You guys moved to the east iirc??

thunder550

Apr 2, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Hell yeah! 5th wheels are scarce right now, everyone and their brother are buying them lol. Good! Sold the limo a few months back to Anthony on here and got a 2020. Workin on selling our place and moving out to new river in the next month or so. You guys moved to the east iirc??

Yes they are, it's a crazy market right now. We found a floor plan that we love, only been made since 2019 so nothing used on the market. Ordered new, 8-10 weeks for delivery...mid-late December. At least it's given me time to get the truck ready.

How are you liking that 2020? They look pretty awesome. We're up in north Phoenix, near Tatum and Bell.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Yes they are, it's a crazy market right now. We found a floor plan that we love, only been made since 2019 so nothing used on the market. Ordered new, 8-10 weeks for delivery...mid-late December. At least it's given me time to get the truck ready.

How are you liking that 2020? They look pretty awesome. We're up in north Phoenix, near Tatum and Bell.

Awesome!! what mfg you go with?

i have 0 complaints about it. it tows awesome, plenty of power for me, the features for towing are great for all the nuts'os on I17 and it dont get hot pulling the hills no matter the temp outside!

thunder550

Apr 2, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Awesome!! what mfg you go with?

i have 0 complaints about it. it tows awesome, plenty of power for me, the features for towing are great for all the nuts'os on I17 and it dont get hot pulling the hills no matter the temp outside!
Grand Design Reflection 31MB, mid-bunk gives the kiddo her own room and leaves the living area super open with lots of windows. We looked at toy haulers but couldn't find a floor plan we really liked that much, at least not anything in our price range. It's 36' long, and the length and weight work out to where I should be able to triple tow a small trailer for a 2 seater SxS or an ATV without exceeding the truck's GCWR or AZ length limits.

Good to hear the new truck is working out well! What are you towing these days?

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Grand Design Reflection 31MB, mid-bunk gives the kiddo her own room and leaves the living area super open with lots of windows. We looked at toy haulers but couldn't find a floor plan we really liked that much, at least not anything in our price range. It's 36' long, and the length and weight work out to where I should be able to triple tow a small trailer for a 2 seater SxS or an ATV without exceeding the truck's GCWR or AZ length limits.

Good to hear the new truck is working out well! What are you towing these days?

Very nice!! that ought to work out well. i know a few guys that do the same thing or even flat tow a jeep behind the 5th wheel (brave souls)

I dont know if you were still around when i bought our toy hauler but its a 2015 Genesis Supreme 35cr. 38ft over all, two slides, and i can pack the tracker, kiddos quad and my quad all inside. We were going to upgrade to a newer vortex that has a bigger kitchen area till we saw how much prices have gone up since we bought ours. we dont gain much for an almost 20k more price tag than when we bought ours new.

thunder550

Apr 2, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Very nice!! that ought to work out well. i know a few guys that do the same thing or even flat tow a jeep behind the 5th wheel (brave souls)

I dont know if you were still around when i bought our toy hauler but its a 2015 Genesis Supreme 35cr. 38ft over all, two slides, and i can pack the tracker, kiddos quad and my quad all inside. We were going to upgrade to a newer vortex that has a bigger kitchen area till we saw how much prices have gone up since we bought ours. we dont gain much for an almost 20k more price tag than when we bought ours new.

I don't remember that, it was right around the time we were moving and I was selling the half ton, lots going on then. The Genesis stuff looks nice! Yeah prices are nuts right now.

Back to original topic, I fished around inside the bell housing with my cheap Chinese bore scope and found some evidence of leaking bolt o-rings. Area below the converter snout is dry, so I think the converter seal and pump seals are ok. Doesn't appear to have leaked any more in the last week since I sprayed the old gunk out with brake cleaner. Haven't used tow/haul mode since then...could increased line pressures from tow mode cause these o-rings to leak more than in normal mode?

201024_115903.jpg201024_115953.jpg201024_120101.jpg

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
You won’t have more line pressure in tow/haul. You get a knock down once the converter locks to around 125psi from 250psi.

Iirc there was a known issue when the truck is cold and goes into high idle that it can weep/leak oil out the front seal. Might be the issue? Can’t say I’ve really seen the bolts leak but mike or Evan would know more there

Last edited:

thunder550

Apr 2, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Thanks James, the line pressure thing must have been a rumor or something I read on the internet. You know if it's on the internet it must be true :LOL:

I've read other forums where people have had the bolts leak around the o-rings, but I'm far from knowledgeable on transmission stuff.

thunder550

Apr 2, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Ordered an input shaft seal, 10 o-rings, 2 copper washers, and a Merchant pump rub kit. Since the converter and the area under the snout are dry, I don't think there's an issue with the pump o-ring, so don't want to mess with removing the bell housing to replace. Pulling transmissions is my favorite 🤮 It'll probably be a couple weeks before I get to it, but the leak isn't bad right now. Just want to have it fixed before the 5th wheel gets here.