LLY: 2006 6.6 won't start

JimmyMac

Sep 1, 2015
Checked all fuses, no codes, fuel at the rails, starts with either, but will not run.

Gauges will not work unless running

Any thoughts

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

carl.swoyer

Jan 31, 2016
Pump the primer button on top of your fuel filter. If this works then that unit is bad . I had to replace mine . Pump until it gets firm.

Carl & Christine, 2012 Landmark Rushmore, 2005 Silverado crew cab lt 8 foot bed 6.6 lly /Allison -custom dual exhaust-198000 miles !

JimmyMac

Sep 1, 2015
Get fuel at the primer, also at the rail. Shot of either in the air intake, kicks over but will still not run

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Security light on? Security messages on DIC?

Not a good idea to use ether to start a Dmax.

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
A diesel 'starting' on ether and dieng really doesn't mean anything, unlike with a gas motor where it means you have spark and your problem is elsewhere. With a diesel, if the engine has compression, air and fuel, its going to run (I'm sure you've heard of diesels running away?). The ether is the fuel in your case.

I think the main concern with ether in a diesel is the glow plugs igniting it prematurely causing all kinds of havoc and potential damage. If the glow plugs are disabled, it *probably* won't hurt anything. Long ago my uncle, who had a LOT of experience with all kinds of engines used ether quite a bit in the old 5.7's with never an issue.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk