2005 LLY. PLEASE HELP!!!! excessive smoke

shayne1213

Jan 15, 2015
so i have a 2005 c4500 that had a lly. the old motor blew up. bought a 06 lly vin 2 and come to find out it was a lbz style block with a different ater pump and lbz cast numbers on the heads. changed over the injectors and harness. with the tone wheel on the crank. bluh bluh. we had the truck running and it did find for a while. then it blew a head gasket. this also had new injectors 4500 miles ago. so long story short. i pulled the motor re freshened it up new bearings and rings. reused pistons. got the motor in and added a air dogg.
this truck now raw fuel in the exhaust and excessive smoke. like bad and it doesnt clear up. im not to sure what it could be. please help with any input. could the air dog be pushing to strong ? it does have a hard start. and just bellows smoke as your cranking on it. once it gets started it does have a rough idle. but doesnt have a fuel knock like a stuck injector what ring controls fuel the crank or cam tone ring?

Last edited:

shayne1213

Jan 15, 2015
id have to check the bill where i ordered them from. they did fine before i redid it. and the balance rates ill know tomorrow. my computer died and i couldnt check them. i know for a fact the cam and crank are in time. Could a cam sensor going bad do something like that? Is there a certain pid i should watch for timing?

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
I have had many llys with harness issues. Balance rates will tell you a lot. Also see what desired and actual rail look like. I doubt its a cam or timing issue if it ran fine for a while

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
As Mike would say in the trans area, we need far more info than what you're giving. No known codes?

Also, moved into the LLY section of Hard Parts.

shayne1213

Jan 15, 2015
alright guys i appreciate it. so let me explain again last night i was about to pull my hair out . the truck ran before but would over heat and pressurize the cooling system. so i was being kind and helping a good friend out. i had a guy pull the motor. then it was brought to me. i disassemble it. set the head and block and rods and pistons of to be done. i reassembled the motor. the ring can only go on one way on the crank with the dowel pi and same with the cam ring. im pretty sure its not internal. and then help that guy reinstall it. it got new bearings and rings. reused injectors because they were replaced before the hg blew. same cp3. i did re adjust the valves also. this would be the 4th lly i have built. and never have seen one like this. i am about to head over to the guys place that installed it. and hook up to it. so you guys wanna see balance rates and rail pressure...... is there anything else you can think of?

shayne1213

Jan 15, 2015
alright guys. so i bottle fed the truck this morning, and it still ran the same. reconnected the air dog and then got it started and the truck ran and smoked extremely. it would hardly stay running and had no pedal response, i unplugged the ect sensor and BOOM the truck runs and idles and the smoke has cleared out, but with the ect unplugged. the rail psi is 6380 desired and the actual is about 6450 to 6500 ish. plug the sensor in while running and it runs like shit and smokes and chugs and dies. wont restart and if it does it dies as soon it starts.
so unplugged it and clear codes. truck starts fine and runs for 10 mins ish and then shuts off. check codes and the has a engine coolant temp high circuit ....... so can a ect cause all this ?????

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
The engine coolant temperature sensor can very much change how the engine runs. You already see a problem and code related to the sensor. I'd put a new sensor in it and triple check the wiring all the way back to the ECU to look for shorts.

Sent from my FlashScan V2

shayne1213

Jan 15, 2015
replaced ect sensor with new. still acts up. nothing plugged in its fine and idles at 1k with no haze. plug one in and just hang it there it idles to 800 ish and has a slight haze. plug the on in that is thred in the the port and it smokes like a train and dies and chugs

07keo02

Oct 5, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Can you get balance rates with the ect unplugged? I don't think it will display rates if it idles up too high. I don't know if they run next to each other but I wonder if the wire from the ect and something involving the injectors are shorted to eachother.

Last edited:

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
These should cover it.

Attachments

• Engine Control Module (ECM) Connector End Views.pdf
    148.8 KB · Views: 6
  • Engine Controls Connector End Views.pdf
    397.7 KB · Views: 2
  • Upper Front of the Engine.pdf