2005 2500 puzzle

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
The cluster in the picture is an LBZ cluster Probably came with the LBZ motor. :thumb:

Air bag could be the sensors on the core support or someone broke the clock spring. Need codes to know where to look for issue.

Same with the 4 Wheel drive service light.

t.watts1340

Feb 20, 2018
Tried swapping out the cluster to see if the airbag display would go off, correct mileage showed up on the truck but it didn’t fix that message.

I think the clock spring got messed up because the steering shaft was out for so long. So I’ll be replacing that. Hopefully that’ll fix the airbag problem and the steering volume controls will start working.

Still not sure what’s up with the 4 wheel drive.

Also can’t get the ac to work. Holds a vacuum, charged up the system but the compressor won’t kick on. You can jump it out and it’ll kick on. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
A scan tool is really required for the level of diagnostics needed for your truck. It will tell you right away why your service 4x4 message is coming up. You can also read A/C pressures and make sure the computer knows there is a charge. If it doesn't see the pressure, it won't run.

Sent from my Cat S60 using Tapatalk

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Tried swapping out the cluster to see if the airbag display would go off, correct mileage showed up on the truck but it didn’t fix that message.

I think the clock spring got messed up because the steering shaft was out for so long. So I’ll be replacing that. Hopefully that’ll fix the airbag problem and the steering volume controls will start working.

Still not sure what’s up with the 4 wheel drive.

Also can’t get the ac to work. Holds a vacuum, charged up the system but the compressor won’t kick on. You can jump it out and it’ll kick on. Any ideas?

The clock spring has the wires for the steering controls running through it and if it was broken would also set an airbag light as it's part of that system.

Likely some one had the steering shaft uncoupled and turned the wheel.

On The AC system, is it digital or manual control? You said you filled it up, How much refrigerant did you put in?

Do you have access to a scan tool that can see the body module? Like a tech2 or a snap on scanner???

t.watts1340

Feb 20, 2018
The clock spring has the wires for the steering controls running through it and if it was broken would also set an airbag light as it's part of that system.

Likely some one had the steering shaft uncoupled and turned the wheel.

On The AC system, is it digital or manual control? You said you filled it up, How much refrigerant did you put in?

Do you have access to a scan tool that can see the body module? Like a tech2 or a snap on scanner???

My neighbor has one of the snap on scanners I’m gonna have to borrow here soon. Getting close to working out all the kinks

t.watts1340

Feb 20, 2018
Took the truck on its maiden voyage, down to savannah and back. Little over a 400 mile round trip. Got the ac working before we left, I had to jump out the low pressure switch to get the Freon to take.

Only had a little hiccup on the way back, stopped at a gas station to re fuel (getting around 15 mpg right now) and went to start the truck up and it lost its prime.

Not sure if it’s related or not but cruising around 70-75 every 15-20 minutes the truck would make a noise, nothing crazy but definitely noticeable. Sounded similar to the noise bigger tires make on the interstate. Or like a sport bike was coming up from a ways back. Maybe something with the cp3? A little concerned about it.

Got a new clock spring coming in the mail this week, gonna get to the bottom of the 4wd issue as well. New tires and fix the hydroboost and I think I’ll be set.

I’ll post more pics of the truck when I get a chance, first diesel truck and I’m hooked. This thing rules.

t.watts1340

Feb 20, 2018
More dumb questions.... could this roaring noise come from the fan? It comes on intermittently cruising the same speed. Not sure how these fans work.

Thinking about doing a lift pump, worried on why the truck lost its prime when I stopped for gas. Any suggestions? I’ll be doing some more research before I pull the trigger on a kit. Don’t plan on pushing any crazy HP or anything just want something to help with longevity. Thanks!

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
More dumb questions.... could this roaring noise come from the fan? It comes on intermittently cruising the same speed. Not sure how these fans work.

Thinking about doing a lift pump, worried on why the truck lost its prime when I stopped for gas. Any suggestions? I’ll be doing some more research before I pull the trigger on a kit. Don’t plan on pushing any crazy HP or anything just want something to help with longevity. Thanks!

Yes the fan will come and go as needed. It’s a thermal clutch and does it’s own thing as heat related.

Lift pump is a great idea. Just check your filter head and maybe rebuild it if it needs it. Generally a leak will show up if you push air into the filler neck

t.watts1340

Feb 20, 2018
After a few hours of research I think I’m gonna go with an AirDog 2 100gph pump. It’s overwhelming how many threads there are on the subjects of lift pumps....

Can anyone else notice their engine fan engaging? I didn’t imagine it would be as loud as it is, I did put a new fan blade on though.

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
After a few hours of research I think I’m gonna go with an AirDog 2 100gph pump. It’s overwhelming how many threads there are on the subjects of lift pumps....

Can anyone else notice their engine fan engaging? I didn’t imagine it would be as loud as it is, I did put a new fan blade on though.

Yes they are loud when engaged.

Full lockup at high rpm sounds like a train is about to run you over

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia

Fans are real loud, but so is the power steering pump when the fluid is boiling, check the harness for the four wheel drive going to the actuator, might have got mashed by the motor, if not actuator is prolly junk or transfer sensor is out, the fan clutch shouldn’t come on unless your towing heavy or it has a lower temp Hayden clutch.

t.watts1340

Feb 20, 2018
Not sure if this is where I should post questions but I’ll pick up on this since it’s related to the truck. So the truck has been great since I put it together until recently. The Allison got up to 300° twice. After doing some research a few guys were saying to check the cooler lines. This is what I found on the line feeding into the radiator cooler

8a2bae8bcdc42815fd63d28e7888c6ff.jpg

173cbcbad3714212e9af473b5b02108a.jpg

Looks a little clogged up, hopefully that is what was causing it? What all should I look into replacing here? I was thinking about going ahead and replacing the whole radiator itself because it’s got a shorty repair to leaking fins already I’ve also already bought an external and internal filter. Really wanna figure this thing out but I’m shooting in the dark and some advice would be great.

Also I read a few guys saying torque converter slipping would cause the trans to get hot. Would this be something I could feel while driving?

Thanks! Let me know if I need to post this in a different section

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
Mounted the cross member and transmission mount. Bolted in the motor mounts and torqued to specs. Gonna have to find some hardware to mount up the front diff.

Put on the drivers side front clip, to start messing with the electrical. This isn’t gonna screw me down the road is it?

b5f632197f51c6024163c194bb50acc2.jpg

093ed12e2e1c32137cfc68b2274f6bad.jpg

c7cf08818cddfba8815951003b37e507.jpg

This tube broke off, I think it’s part of the egr? The treads that a stud went into are toast to I guess I’ll either drill and tap it a size up or helicoil it.

5ab92dfffb8cdc778e85ab88fa1f3f0b.jpg

8e2093b049f450605607223322ab5f6c.jpg

Does that have a bracket to keep the Y bridge from slipping out?

t.watts1340

Feb 20, 2018

Ah I’m not sure? I’ll try to figure out what bracket and check. This thing was in pieces when I got it so I might have missed a piece of the puzzle putting it back together.

t.watts1340

Feb 20, 2018

Looks like I don’t, and the y bridge is loose enough where I can rock it back and forth a good bit. Oops. Could that cause lack of power? I feel like this truck was faster when I put it together

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
Looks like I don’t, and the y bridge is loose enough where I can rock it back and forth a good bit. Oops. Could that cause lack of power? I feel like this truck was faster when I put it together

yes the y bridge has a slip fit with an O ring. If that section isn’t supported like it was when the egr was there, the tube can and will blow out.

t.watts1340

Feb 20, 2018
yes the y bridge has a slip fit with an O ring. If that section isn’t supported like it was when the egr was there, the tube can and will blow out.

Yeah its definitely blown out. Probably gonna go with an aftermarket one now, looks like a pain to change out live and ya learn