2004 lb7 duramax

Braden ball

Jun 29, 2023
Tennessee
Hey I’ve got a 2004 lb7 Duramax diesel it’s all stock other then a upgraded intake right as now I’m running a stage 2 tune on it that’s 90hp I think stage 3 is 150hp I was wondering if a stage 3 tune would hurt the truck any since it has stock injectors and a stock Allison transmission.

Thanks

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
It took about 1 1/2 to 2 years to start limping my transmission with a 90 hp tune. I'd start putting money aside for a rebuild. How quickly you put enough aside depends on how aggressive you like to drive

Nate’s Dmax

Dec 11, 2020
For long term reliability you better keep it out of stage 3. Although if it were mine it wouldn’t stay out long😜. Having a little bit of fun with it occasionally probably wont hurt much IF you put it in tow haul mode so torque converter locks up in second gear and don’t do boosted launches or burn outs. Remember tho its playing with fire.

wydopenLb7

Mar 10, 2023
California
Keep overdrive off if you are getting on it hard. Mine is similar aside from a transgo shift kit and I don't slip the trans. I just put it in tow/haul with od off and lift before I turn it off and let it shift to fifth. Usually only do one or two hard pulls a week though and keep it under 60% throttle the rest of the time. Although looking at your profile pic it looks like you have 35's which won't help..

Braden ball

Jun 29, 2023
Tennessee
Keep overdrive off if you are getting on it hard. Mine is similar aside from a transgo shift kit and I don't slip the trans. I just put it in tow/haul with od off and lift before I turn it off and let it shift to fifth. Usually only do one or two hard pulls a week though and keep it under 60% throttle the rest of the time. Although looking at your profile pic it looks like you have 35's which won't help..
Yeah their 37s

cstaback

Jul 3, 2023
Tucson, AZ
You can extend the time to transmission problems by you just manually being the torque management. meaning let up between shifts. after a gear is fully engaged it seems so less abusive to the clutches. If you feel the truck struggling, it probably is.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
You can extend the time to transmission problems by you just manually being the torque management. meaning let up between shifts. after a gear is fully engaged it seems so less abusive to the clutches. If you feel the truck struggling, it probably is.

Won’t matter. At 125 psi main line pressure, 4 clutches in the c3’s and the amount of power he wants over stock, you will limp in 5th gear. The truck already defuels on a shift, which means it’s pulling the power back to allow disengagement of the clutches and full application of the clutches before power is brought in.

It’s life will be shorten no matter how you go about it, just get them pennie’s saved up before it limps so bad it can’t be driven or you pack every hole up with clutch material

Stroked06Goat

Mar 30, 2023
Syracuse, NY
Man I always wonder what it'd be like turn it up and not have to worry about the transmission. And you're right. If you turn it up(y), you WILL get in it, likely by the first day.