LB7: 2002 to 2003 Oil Pressure Issue

Winnipeg Duramax

Nov 23, 2014
I've recently replaced a 2003 Duramax (seized) with a low mile 2002 Duramax. Problem I'm having is that I'm reading VERY low oil pressure on the stock gauge. No check engine light or anything like that and the engine is running top notch. I know the 2003 engine has the sending unit towards the rear of the engine just below the filter and the 2002 has the sending unit towards the front of the engine. Different fittings and different connectors. Has anyone heard about using a different sending unit (Buick??) in place of the stock 2002 sending unit?

Winnipeg Duramax

Nov 23, 2014
Not yet, but as the unit is showing some pressure, although very low, and it not tripping any check engine issues or faults for low oil pressure I deduce that there is adequate pressure. Before the engine c/o we only ever had low pressure on this vehicle. The gauge never came up above the first quarter of the gauge. Now it only just barely comes up above the red. With the hassle of plumbing in a manual gauge to test, I would probably just run a manual gauge into the cab permanently. I was just wondering if anyone had heard about the use of another sensor onto the same connection and fitting from another vehicle type

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
What makes you think a different sensor will change anything?

Put a manual gauge on it and report back, never know... ;)

AKlowriderZ71

May 14, 2012
Wyoming
I'm trying to remember what the difference between them is. I can tell you that 01-02 trucks use a different sensor than the 03+ trucks. Even though the block you installed had the sensor in a different place, you can use the appropriate adapter and appropriate sensor, and your gauge should work normally.

It sounds like you are probably using the wrong sending unit.

I may have the adapter & sending unit that came new with my Goodwrench longblock, I'd have to look for them tomorrow. GM included both oil pressure sensor setups, and I just used the 01-02 stuff for my truck & kept the spare stuff (somewhere).

Duramax52513

Jun 23, 2013
Everyone I've talked to do has told me that the dash clusters in the lower 2000 models are junk and have to be rebuilt or replaced, I could be wrong, could just be people trying to get money out of me because my dash cluster took a dump, well the oil pressure guage and speedo

estoniaboy

Mar 26, 2013
How to fix?

I have 2001 Duramax & I Swapped the engine that came out of 2003 LB7 duramax, but the oil pressure Gage is maxed out and as you have stated the sensors are different with the wire harness. How can I fix this? New Engine had short 3 wire sensor old engine had long 1 wire sensor.

Last edited: