2002 Rear OEM'ish bumper

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
I need to replace my OEM rear bumper, and I want to stick with an OE appearing replacement. Are there any aftermarket OE style bumpers that aren't junk and will rust right away? Not sure if I should roll the dice on an aftermarket and keep it sprayed inside with Surface Shield, or start cruising FS ads for a used one with no dings. Thanks.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Id look on Marketplace for one from a southern truck part out. You could even take the opportunity to swap in one of those newer step-pocket bumpers. God knows we all arent getting any younger.

• Haha
Reactions: N2BRK

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
Hey now, I represent that remark! I'll be 49 at the end of October. I remember not long ago when they were taking bets that I wouldn't live past my teens... then my 20's... then.... LOL.

For my 40th, I drove to Indiana and had Mark tune my LMM. For my 49th, maybe I can drive to meet him with my LB7, LOL. IF I can get it on my buddy's lift!!! It's been weeks and it's sitting :( I have a shit-ton of parts taking up space at his shop too, lol.

Anyway, back on topic. I saw some pics of the new OEM step bumpers and I'm ambivalent. On one hand, they seem functional, but I can/do step on my hitch and then my bumper right now. I'm not totally in love with the look of that new bumper. I'll give it some thought.

Has anyone grabbed a new bumper and hitch and grafted both onto the NBS platform? It looks like a new takeoff bumper and hitch are about $500 a short drive from me in MD on facenuts marketplace. That would be very tempting, since I have no faith in the '02 OEM hitch on my truck. Hmm.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
If you want to use the 15-19 style bumper with the steps in the ends, your best bet would be to pair it with an aftermarket hitch of some sort. I used a Curt hitch with mine, but I ended up having to space the hitch down with some 1/2" thick steel plates to get it to clear the bumper. I think it looks decent, but I do think the bumper is just a little too wide with how it wraps around the sides of the bed, not bad but just a bit off. I think you're going to have a hard time finding an OEM bumper for your 02 that doesn't have any dings in it, but you might try searching car-part.com and looking at wrecking yards in the south. You might get lucky.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Just fyi, 01-07 are the same. Difference is the lt 01-02 got chrome license plate lights. I don’t believe later years got that.

I was lookin at rockauto bumpers. Guess they ain’t good???

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
I don't know where the one on my GMC came from but it was an import rear bumper from the body shop that painted the bed. It was fine until about a year ago when a semi clipped it backing into a yard. It also had the chrome license plate lights. I replaced it with a clean used assemble from a parts truck I had at one point.

The plastic chrome cover for license lamp fell off one and they were brittle. I bought a set on Ebay for $10 to replace them.

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
That was part of my original question - are any of the aftermarket OE looking ones any good? I trolled Amazon and feedback sounded like they all rusted in short order. I’d certainly consider one off Rock or the like, if they will last a bit.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Mine didn't rust. I didn't get the name but I believe it was of Taiwan origin. If you looked close, You could tell the difference. Especially on the plastic covers not being trimmed as nice. But it did its job. At the time the Whole assembly with brackets was the cost of just the chrome portion of the bumper. And I need everything.

Unfortunately the body shop is no longer around.

It was still better quality than the front bumper that was straightened and rechromed. That one will rust after a rain and I have to clean it up. It's also still kind of tweaked.

shakenfake

Moron
Sep 15, 2022
Shlumpt, TX
Has anyone grabbed a new bumper and hitch and grafted both onto the NBS platform? It looks like a new takeoff bumper and hitch are about $500 a short drive from me in MD on facenuts marketplace. That would be very tempting, since I have no faith in the '02 OEM hitch on my truck. Hmm.
1716493069177.png

This was on my half ton four years ago. They bolt right in. Steps were so nice but I pulled it off and went back to stock a year ago. I will end up with a roll pan on that truck I think.

Reactions: malibu795 and N2BRK

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
It doesn’t look bad, but imho it’s too big for the body. Kinda like a 73 Nova maybe?

I’ll stick with NBS OE look. Now to find a quality aftermarket or unicorn. lol. I’m thinking I need to find an aftermarket mfgr that meets/exceeds OEM. Or buy a new one every few years 🤷🏼‍♂️

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Didnt the early '10 trucks have the steps, too? I coulda sworn they did.

I had just remembered a swap thread from the Place years ago is all. Thought it could be another option.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
There was a point guys were putting later beds and bumpers on gmt800’s. I did not care for the look.

If you could cut the center section down and shrink that bumper, it would look pretty damn good.

If I find anything out here, I’ll let ya know. I’m about to start making dealership calls to find NOS interior parts lol

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
I’m not at that point (yet?). But I am stoked about my bed find!!! I need front fenders asap too. The rust isn’t above the fender flare yet. Yet. Ugh.

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
I just bought an eBay one and sealed and painted the entire thing back and front to keep it from rusting. It’s going on 7 years and still no rust.

660catman

May 18, 2021
Find a LKQ / Keystone outlet and request a Diamond Standard bumper. Not quite sure if Rock or LMC stock these high quality bumpers or not.

shakenfake

Moron
Sep 15, 2022
Shlumpt, TX
Didnt the early '10 trucks have the steps, too? I coulda sworn they did.

I had just remembered a swap thread from the Place years ago is all. Thought it could be another option.
GMT-800 Avalanches did, I think 900s may have but I am not positive.

@N2BRK It doesn't look as enormous in person as it does in pictures. It does look better on a 2500 for some reason.
1716558463554.png
I think is it was thinner, from the front to back of the bumper, it would look a little less prominent. The gaps on the sides sit pretty damn good imo

Also yes that is a K2XX handle grafted into an NBS tailgate to have a factory backup camera.

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
I think that because I want it to stay chrome, it looks bigger on the truck. The black on yours makes it look a little smaller. It is a good look on your color truck.

The diamond bumper looks good and well made. Price and shipping are brutal though. I did check Rock and they have "various mfgrs" and they are all el-cheapo like Amazon etc.

Reactions: shakenfake

shakenfake

Moron
Sep 15, 2022
Shlumpt, TX
That blue LBZ is not mine, not sure if that is what you were referring to.

I bought a stock eBay bumper for my 1500 and never again. Fitment was horrid. The bumper came missing hardware so the seller just gave me a 50% refund and told me to keep it. It bolted on good but over time the driver side has started to sag and look uber bent. Unless someone hit me and I never noticed but man it looks awful.