2001 max tire size?

bigboytoy426

Jun 30, 2012
grand rapids michigan
I have 265's on it now but IMO they look too small for the truck. Id like to put 285's but don't want to do any trimming behind the wheels by the mud flaps. Truck has stock ride height. If I had to turn the torsion bars up how many turns? Do the bolts usually turn easily or are they a pain to break loose? Alignment? My buddy had a 03 with 285's and don't rub but obviously is a diff body style. The turning radius is already horrible my truck and don't want to make it worse because my tires rub

Thanks for any input!

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
Search the forum man
I alone have answered this question at last three times in 4 months.

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
I know, right?
Wtf though, the forum has this info in abundance, like we need another " what tire fits" thread.
Thee are so many options its sickening. Width, dia and wheel backspace, to crank the torsion bars or not to crank, then if you trim i teeny tiny little corner, you may just like it and want to trim more! The scare factor of actually cutting a piece off a truck as nice as ours keeps many at bay....

In short, a 285/70/17 is a super safe bet on stock wheels or a wheel with a backspacing in the range of 4 3/4-5 3/4 and you should not have to trim, again a search will help eliminate doubt and also possibly show you some pics and instructions for your viewing and learning pleasure....

Or you may just run into posts where teabagger talks about making sweet love to something....

TROJAN366

Gold Rush
Jan 13, 2012
MASS
Run 305s, crank the bars to the moon, and cut everything. I'm going to give this technique a whirl on friday lol

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Thee are so many options its sickening. Width, dia and wheel backspace, to crank the torsion bars or not to crank, then if you trim i teeny tiny little corner, you may just like it and want to trim more! In short, a 285/70/17 is a super safe bet on stock wheels or a wheel with a backspacing in the range of 4 3/4-5 3/4 and you should not have to trim,

and look, i still got the info out of ya :D

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
Run 305s, crank the bars to the moon, and cut everything. I'm going to give this technique a whirl on friday lol

Oh shnap!
I ran a 305/55/20 on FOOSE spank 8(8 lug)'s and cognito uca's and braces, trimmed a shit load, barely rubbed full crank on rear of passenger side, wheel cut right, and when cab rocked at full crank wheel cut left the drivers side rubbed.
However, the tires were shot after 20k.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
If you want big tires, get aggressive with your trimming, and bust out a sledge hammer. I cut a good deal from the bumper valance, and pounded the firewall seam flat. I run 315/70R17s with stock height (no cranking the bars). They rub just a hair at full lock or if I hit a good bump while turning. Not a big deal, IMO.

It is my understanding that GMCs require less trimming, so that may be a factor here.

And, FWIW, you can't tell the truck was cut on unless you are looking for it, and know where to look.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

TROJAN366

Gold Rush
Jan 13, 2012
MASS
I trimmed mine before it was painted and made sure to make the cuts nice and smooth. Cant tell at all

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
How big of a tire you say? Buy the EXACT tire and rim you want and mount them up! If the rub drop down one size and you'll have the perfect size needed! :thumb:

bigboytoy426

Jun 30, 2012
grand rapids michigan
I tried doing a search but I couldn't find anything that said anythinng about a stock ride , stock wheel for a 01-02. I wasn't sure how much it varied from bodystyle to bodystyle that's why I asked. But thanks for answering my question guys! I just read online that discount tire will only go one tire size larger then factory so I might be stuck with 265's unless they were an option. Doesn't hurt to go in and ask tho.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
I just read online that discount tire will only go one tire size larger then factory so I might be stuck with 265's unless they were an option. Doesn't hurt to go in and ask tho.
I'd go in and ask. Discount Tire is the company that put my 315's on, and they didn't bat an eye. That rule may just be there for when car people are asking for stupid large tires that would be unsafe or unusable; so they can point to a rule and not get into an argument. Or maybe I got lucky?