2 race trucks? Maybe...

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
My '89 s10 daily driver has been a great truck but I have been getting tired of it. Been browsing the local classifieds for a single cab shortbed silverado with no luck. Friday night, the wife and I were headed out to dinner and saw this little beauty on the side of the road with a for sale sign. Needless to say, Saturday morning I offered the guy $3500 and drove it home.

2003, 2wd, 131k miles. Inside is spotless, exterior is very clean with only a few minor dings and paint blemishes. Has the 4.3 v6...not a powerhouse by any means but it does ok.

I do have some future plans for it that does involve atleast an LS swap. Not sure when anything will happen though. Only downside is, it was a smoker truck so it does has a stink to it. I've febreezed the snot out of the interior and also have been trying a few other remedies. Does anyone have any proven ways of removing smoke smell?

countrycorey

Trust Me I'm an Engineer
Jan 30, 2010
LA
I had to febreeze my truck every day for a month to make a noticeable difference in the summer time. I also keep a good smelling candle in my truck so it smells good in the summer time. I have heard that a cup of baking soda works but I've never tried it. Also, I've heard guys use an ozone generator to get rid of that smell.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Change the whole interior. Yet to find a truck in AZ that was smoked in you couldn't smell it in in the summer time. Shit gets in the plastic, headliner, floor, seats, every damn thing.

lutzjk913

May 5, 2010
groveport, ohio
There is some sort of bomb that you can set off in them that draws the odor into it. I'll look into it more tomorrow at work. We use them in used cars at work

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
I left a cup of baking soda in it last night. Also left a cup of vinegar in too. I'll try the apple thing tonight. The mixed smell between the febreeze and smoke, gives me a headache.

If I can't noticably remove the smell, I'm not sure what I'll end up doing with the truck.

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
I use ozone generators on stinky boats, I'm sure it would work even better in the small interior of your truck. That plus a good cleaning of seats, carpet and headliner.

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
I've been in a few vehicles that were smokers that people didn't roll the windows down or give a **** and it's hard to get out. My grandpa was like that, and I ended up with is 94' s10 with 40k miles in 2004. I shampooed it twice, headliner and all, ended up pulling the seats and carpet out and scrubbing it. And shampooed the headliner a third time, and kept air fresheners in it like all my vehicles.

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
How well does it work and how long do you have to run it?

I'll run the big one in a boat for a month non stop. You can't stay in there with it running though, it will give you a screaming headache. It starts to knock down the odor in a few days but, we're talking about boats that are around 1500 square feet of interior space. I'd bet 3 or 4 days of uninterrupted treatment would do it with the cleaning before hand.

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
Read some reviews about the Ozium air sanitizer stuff from walmart. Reviews were awesome. Bought a can and gave it a go. We'll see how it works.

Eddie_LLY

Jul 28, 2014
Colorado
I used to work an equipment rental business. We had a customer who's entire business revolved around buying smoker vehicles in otherwise good condition, renting our commercial ozone machine which is normally rented to people re-renting apartments after smokers, mold, just overall gross conditions, etc. and using it in the vehicles over 1 weekend and then reselling them.

We all thought he was nuts at first but he kept coming back with better cars to flip.
I'll plug my old company and say call your local Sunbelt Rentals, there's one in Salt Lake, and see if they have an Ozone machine.

Troysalm71

Feb 28, 2016
Bemidji, MN
Sounds dumb but it works I have a buddy that smokes an his ol man hates it he puts a thing of coffee grounds in there an it works I think an I'm not a smoker either.

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
Try a red bull then haha!

If the ozium doesn't work try some chlorine dioxide. Also I think zep makes a smoke odor eliminating spray.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
I used to work an equipment rental business. We had a customer who's entire business revolved around buying smoker vehicles in otherwise good condition, renting our commercial ozone machine which is normally rented to people re-renting apartments after smokers, mold, just overall gross conditions, etc. and using it in the vehicles over 1 weekend and then reselling them.

We all thought he was nuts at first but he kept coming back with better cars to flip.
I'll plug my old company and say call your local Sunbelt Rentals, there's one in Salt Lake, and see if they have an Ozone machine.

Buy an OZONE generator, you can use it in all you vehicles, use it in your house when you're not home, just be sure and air the home out, it dissipates within minutes....

Last edited:

prostreeter600

Street rodder
Jul 18, 2010
Dallas Tx
Something a little more obvious is making sure to wipe everything down glass included and shampooing and or steam cleaning all upholstery . That nicotine will stick to the glass as well . I have seen a vehicle or 2 to where you could see the haze on the windshield from the heavy smoking

six5creed

Jan 6, 2016
N.C.
My brother left his window down on his truck once and a cat got in it and sprayed or peed. He had it cleaned and wound up trading it, not sure what is worse cat spray or smoke, lol.