1st Duramax need help "decorating"

Cade_Custer

Sep 7, 2015
Hey guys I'm new here and I'm probably posting in the wrong spot but i need some help. I was just able to buy the truck I've always wanted, a 2001 extended cab 2500 duramax. I could have gone newer but this is what I wanted and it's only for 105000 miles on it. I need some ideas of what y'all would do to it. It's basically a blank slate. White, stock wheels and tires, stock bumpers, etc. the only thing that has been done to it was I threw a ranch hand grille guard on it. It's not 4 wheel drive so I don't plan on lifting it. I was kinda thinking that I should put the biggest tires I can without lifting it. It also rides so much lower in the front than it does in the rear so I was thinking about cranking the torsion bars up but ive heard that can lead to major problems in the front end later on. So I guess basically I'm asking for suggestions on what to do to make it look good. I'd like to replace both bumpers tires and wheels grille and maybe put a head ache rack and toolbox on. Please include brands and if you have any other suggestions please share. Also I am located in San Angelo.

Max Attitude

11SIX
Mar 7, 2012
Caledonia, MI
Welcome to the forum. Depends on the look you after. A lot of ppl with 2wd (even 4wd) lower them. This is more of a performance orientated forum so I'm not sure how many will chime in. If you want the front leveled out you can crank the bars ( I did ). You're upper ball joints will wear faster. Cognito upper control arms run about $480 and re-angle the upper ball joint for cranked bars. They also have a bolt in style ball joint that makes it easy to replace. I ran my stock a- arms until the ball joints went bad and switched to the Cognito UCA's. They have been great so far.

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
This is a duramaxforum question.

Take out the tbar bolts, lower the rear and remove the overload. Put on some bars. Keep the pyos and wrap them with 420s. Build the trans and install a lift pump. And some good tuning. When that gets slow then motor build and lots of air and fuel.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
If you crank up the torsions, make sure to buy taller lower shock mounts to help the ride. I think a smarter way to go is to do a 4" lift, though.

As for making it "look good", that is completely up to you. As you said, "its a blank slate", but its YOUR blank slate. I recommend you check out pics of other guy's trucks and get ideas, then incorporate them into your truck.

BUST'EM 504

Oct 7, 2009
Welcome. It depends on what you want to do with the truck work or play. You can crank the front but get cognito or kryptonite ucas for sure. I have a Weatherguard tool box and I love it.

On a side note I used to hunt near San Angelo well actually I think it was coke county

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

omaha123

yeapp
May 10, 2014
Nebraska
This is a duramaxforum question.

Take out the tbar bolts, lower the rear and remove the overload. Put on some bars. Keep the pyos and wrap them with 420s. Build the trans and install a lift pump. And some good tuning. When that gets slow then motor build and lots of air and fuel.

and that was a duramaxdieselsforum answer

You will probably get a better response over on DF.
But if I were you, I'd follow what Awenta said and lower it, dial in suspension and proceed to make it fast and fun.

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
and that was a duramaxdieselsforum answer

You will probably get a better response over on DF.
But if I were you, I'd follow what Awenta said and lower it, dial in suspension and proceed to make it fast and fun.
Touche