1972 K5 Blazer LBZ

bcdeutsch731

Nov 4, 2010
Illinois
We are going to start on this project this weekend. It's a 1972 Blazer that belongs to my dad. He bought a rolled 06 LBZ truck and we're going to take the complete frame and drivetrain and put the blazer body on it. Our goal is to be able to pull my truck to the track with his blazer. I have no idea if this is going to work but he wants to do it so we are going to start the fab work this weekend. The blazer may be to light and short to pull my truck in an enclosed trailer. He wants it all done by this spring. We are going to try and use all the stock suspension off the 06 and just shorten the frame about 3ft. I know how picky my dad is so this project will probably be as nice as my truck.
Here are some pictures I took this morning.

Last edited:

bcdeutsch731

Nov 4, 2010
Illinois
Got some work done over the weekend. Got the firewall and floor cut out and the frame shortened. Could only cut 49" out of frame before the fuel tank hit transfercase so we had to move the rearend forward about 5". Making body mounts now and going to start fitting the front fenders and wheel wells.

Last edited:

bcdeutsch731

Nov 4, 2010
Illinois
If anyone is interested in the old frame that this body was on let me know.
I did a frame off restoration to the blazer last winter. I took every piece off the frame and sandblasted it. I blasted every part and painted everything with an epoxy primer and a single stage of PPG Frame Black. I have not even had this on the road since the frame off restoration. I had full intentions of keeping this so I rebuilt all the suspension. I replaced the ball joints, tie rods, front axle u-joints and locking hubs. Replaced the front disc brakes and installed new shoes and hardware on the rear drum brakes. The engine was rebuilt 10,000 miles ago, so I just repainted it when it was out. I rebuilt the carburetor. When I was doing the restoration I installed a 700R4 and transfercase out of a 1987 K5 Blazer. The trans and transfercase came out of a wrecked 1987 Blazer that only had 50 miles on it. I installed a Bowtie overdrive update shift spring and carb linkage. I had new front and rear drive shafts made. The engine is a Chevy 350 small block with a 4 barrel carburetor. Everything in pictures comes with this sale. The A/C compressor worked when I disassembled the whole thing so it should still work now. The engine still runs if you want to hear it before buying it. The only reason I’m not using any of this stuff is because I’m putting the blazer body on a 2006 frame with a Duramax diesel in it and no longer need any of this stuff. Almost everything is new or rebuilt on this frame and is in great shape. I’m asking $5000 for everything. Buyer is responsible for shipping.

Last edited:

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
Y'all wanna knock out my chassis/body swap? You all do impeccable work for hobbyists? I'm dead serious, IDK if I could afford to pay you or not but if you'd be willing to consider it, shoot me a PM. :thumb:

bcdeutsch731

Nov 4, 2010
Illinois
Y'all wanna knock out my chassis/body swap? You all do impeccable work for hobbyists? I'm dead serious, IDK if I could afford to pay you or not but if you'd be willing to consider it, shoot me a PM. :thumb:

I would love to say yes to you, but we have our hands full with my truck and my dads. Thanks for the kind words. What are you building?

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
the 83 in my sig. Been there with status "pending" for YEARS. :( Its a bit dated too because the plan is now to body swap onto the 01 ec sb D/A 4wd I purchased and less focus on sled pulling like before. Just build it and enjoy it. Hopefully some day. *sigh*

JDub

Aug 9, 2009
Hooper, Utah
That is a great project! Always loved that style Blazer, will be awesome with a twinned LBZ under the hood. Like you though, I'd be afraid that short wheel base will be too squirly for heavy towing...