1968 Chevelle SS396 325hp/M21 Numbers Matching Frame Off Restoration

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
Owned this car since high school, bought from the previous owner whom was located in Milford, Ohio. It had a "frame on" restoration done back in 2003 and it came out nice, nice enough to get a look or two :D... Sadly ive left it at my parents house to die for the last 10 years.

I decided to crank open the wallet and throw/pour some money on it. Going to pull the engine and have the machine shop go through it. Local shop here is going to sand blast and powder coat the frame black. Local buddy is going to do the body work and paint on it. Interior is going to be gone through, im going to restore the original gauge cluster and dash. Bumpers are being sent to Tri Cities Plating in Tennessee. Other chrome pieces will go somewhere else. I'm going to rewire it using factory reproduction wire harnesses.

I've set my preliminary budget at $30k

Car hadnt ran in 3 years, finally got it started and it runs pretty well all things considered.
https://redirect.viglink.com/?forma...hevelle Tech&txt=https://youtu.be/WLIhLOTlz1Y

Attachments

• chevelle23000 (2).jpg
    chevelle23000 (2).jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
When I was born, my dad had a blue 68 Malibu with a white 69 front clip. Stout mild built 350, Saginaw 4 speed, bench seat car. Never could get his read end the way he wanted. Wound up selling it either to put a down payment on our first house or get me another ear surgery. Still to this day have a minor grudge for him selling it lol

Beautiful car. I envy you sir. One of these days I’ll have one

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
Sure looks like an awful nice car to start with to have to throw another $30k at.

Are you going to do away with the top like the car in the video?

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
Sure looks like an awful nice car to start with to have to throw another $30k at.

Are you going to do away with the top like the car in the video?

Yes im going to do away with the vinyl top. Im a big fan of the stripped down look, no pin stripes, vinyl decals, racing stripes etc. I love that car in the video

Body and Paint - $8-10k
Engine - $4-6k
Interior - $4-6k
Frame powder coating - $1k
New wiring - $2k
Transmission - $2k
Miscellaneous - $3k

Last edited:

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
Damn nice car already, Nick. Have fun with the restoration. :thumb:

Thanks Tom. Ive always wanted to do a proper restoration on this car... Itll take 18 months +/-. The trick will be separating the body from the frame in my driveway with no lift lol

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
Yes im going to do away with the vinyl top. Im a big fan of the stripped down look, no pin stripes, vinyl decals, racing stripes etc. I love that car in the video

Body and Paint - $8-10k
Engine - $4-6k
Interior - $4-6k
Frame powder coating - $1k
New wiring - $2k
Transmission - $2k
Miscellaneous - $3k

It sure adds up fast, eh?!?! The paint and body need that much work? Hidden problems? Or just a matter of wanting it absolutely perfect so taking it to steel and going from there?

Regardless, it's going to be :coolspot:

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
It sure adds up fast, eh?!?! The paint and body need that much work? Hidden problems? Or just a matter of wanting it absolutely perfect so taking it to steel and going from there?

Regardless, it's going to be :coolspot:

Thanks Mitch, not really too much wrong with it, a few nicks and small dents sadly. Yes i want it perfect and the reality of living in the Bay Area is things cost 25% more than anywhere else lol. It does add up super quick... Im also going to do a lot of labor myself so tack on another 20k+ if i paid someone to do it. Its pretty nuts. Im going to do it with my dad

Pure Diesel

Apr 22, 2008
Ventura County
That's nice that your going to be doing this with your dad. :thumb: Enjoy the time while their still here. Wish I could have done something like this with my father but he passed away 32 years ago.