1968 Camaro Build W/ Duramax

CamaroDMax

Jun 10, 2019
Hey guys!

I thought I would share my build and the progress for the next several months.

I'm placing an LMM Duramax in a 68 Camaro. I picked up the car about 6 years ago. I wanted to drive the car for a while before tearing it apart, but after some small electrical problems that exposed other issues with the car I decided to park it at start tearing into it. The Camaro sheet metal is in very bad shape. Unfortunately, the lack of time I have (4 kids that are into sports) I'm having a fabricator shop complete all the welding (sheet metal, exhaust, and etc.) on the car for me.

Engine: 08 LMM Engine (stock for now). I will place twins and bigger injectors in if I can find some for the right price.

Chassis: Roadster SPEC Chassis (9" FORD Readend)

Brakes: Baer Pro 14" 6 piston calipers on all four corners

Transmission: Animal Performance Beast 4L80E

I will upload pictures soon. I welcome any input and discussions.

Attachments

• Camaro 3.jpg
    Camaro 3.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 99
  • Camaro 2.jpg
    Camaro 2.jpg
    215.4 KB · Views: 93
  • Camaro 1.jpg
    Camaro 1.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 80
  • unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 84

CamaroDMax

Jun 10, 2019
Subd should be a real nice build when finished man.
https://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/showthread.php?t=82543 here is a set of compounds for sale on here. Not sure how it would fit with your setup though. Most likely have to just buy the compounds and fab the rest up yourself.

I think we should have an enough room. My only concern is the downpipe. Clearing the frame might be an challenge, especially if the tubing is 5" diameter.

rfletes79

Mar 5, 2010
Galt, Ca 95632
I think we should have an enough room. My only concern is the downpipe. Clearing the frame might be an challenge, especially if the tubing is 5" diameter.

There is absolutely no need for a 5" downpipe or exhaust for that matter. Put what fits in your car, you'll save yourself tons of time and money. Make it look right for the car. You can always y the downpipe under the car to make it flow more with smaller piping. 4" split into 2 3" pipes will flow plently for these engines and make ton of power.

That's a really nice frame, wow. Looks good. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help, even if its just pointing you in a direction to look for stuff or what not to do. 10 years into my swap and I'm still figuring shit out.

CamaroDMax

Jun 10, 2019
There is absolutely no need for a 5" downpipe or exhaust for that matter. Put what fits in your car, you'll save yourself tons of time and money. Make it look right for the car. You can always y the downpipe under the car to make it flow more with smaller piping. 4" split into 2 3" pipes will flow plently for these engines and make ton of power.

That's a really nice frame, wow. Looks good. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help, even if its just pointing you in a direction to look for stuff or what not to do. 10 years into my swap and I'm still figuring shit out.

Sick looking Chevelle! Yes I had an brain fart about the Down pipe size. we haven’t decided how we wanted to tackle the exhaust yet. Did you have to make custom motor mounts? What about the oil pan? Did you have to chop the height down?

CamaroDMax

Jun 10, 2019
Good looking start to a project. Feel free to ask questions, I know quite a bit about a swap like this as well lol

Sounds good to me. I've read your build thread several times. You did an amazing job and the car looks sick! I'm sure I will have tons of questions when we get to the point of installing the engine.

CamaroDMax

Jun 10, 2019
I'm in the process of tearing down the engine to clean it up. I believe there's a small oil leak between the upper oil pan and timing cover. There also appears to be a leak between the upper and lower oil pan on both sides of the engine. Thoughts?

In addition, this engine has about 130k miles on it. Should I replace the water pump or any other items/sensors before putting it back together?

Thanks,
Joshua

Attachments

• IMG_5609.jpg
    IMG_5609.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_5610.jpg
    IMG_5610.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_5608.jpg
    IMG_5608.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 36

rfletes79

Mar 5, 2010
Galt, Ca 95632
When you have the pans off to modify them you will get to re-seal them then, yes they're leaking. I would remove the rear cover while you're at it and re-seal that as well. And what he ^^ said above. Maybe take a look at the turbo while you have it apart. Also, you can clean up the engine harness quite a bit, specially if you are moving the emission stuff. Not sure where you're located but deleting the gp circuit completely will clean up the engine too. A lot of people run their engine with them, every once in a while I'll have an issue but not that often and I always carry a jump pack with me so it's always started.

dslhtrdr

Always learning
Nov 22, 2012
Sebastopol, Ca
I was really hoping you'd chime in. How's your Camaro running?

Runs great. Haven’t had a single problem with it in the 6 or so years it’s been running. Been contemplating lately about making it a dry sump... we’ll see. Also want to install a vintage air kit in it someday.

CamaroDMax

Jun 10, 2019
The floor pan, trunk pan, seat brackets, and mini tubs have been installed. The real tail panel will be replaced next, then the quarter panels. I'm having the drip rails shaved as well.

Attachments

• IMG_5640.jpg
    IMG_5640.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_5642.jpg
    IMG_5642.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_5641.jpg
    IMG_5641.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_5637.jpg
    IMG_5637.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_5639.jpg
    IMG_5639.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_5645.jpg
    IMG_5645.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 35

CamaroDMax

Jun 10, 2019
Runs great. Haven’t had a single problem with it in the 6 or so years it’s been running. Been contemplating lately about making it a dry sump... we’ll see. Also want to install a vintage air kit in it someday.

Hey Bro, What gas pedal did you use? Stock Duramax? Lokar makes an electric pedal, but not sure how the integration with those work.

dslhtrdr

Always learning
Nov 22, 2012
Sebastopol, Ca
Hey Bro, What gas pedal did you use? Stock Duramax? Lokar makes an electric pedal, but not sure how the integration with those work.

I used the Duramax throttle pedal. I haven’t seen the lokar pedal yet. I just made a bracket for the duramax pedal to bolt to and welded it to the firewall/toe board.