1300hp Capable Build

FuLLpuLL07

Aug 31, 2023
USA
Wanting to build an engine rated for about 1300hp for pulling and drag racing.

Here is my list so far

Callies Durastar crank
Fingers cast oval bowl pistons
billet main caps
Carrillo Pro-H rods
bottom end girdle
gm type "c" head gasket
exotic brand head studs
callies stage 1 afo cam
wagler dual valve springs

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Sounds like you have a fairly solid plan so far.

Which version of the Duramax will you be building this on?

I have heard to stay away from the GM head gaskets and go with the Mahle wave stopper version Type "C" I have read and heard that Guys had issue with the Gm gaskets sealing at times.

Reactions: Bdsankey

FuLLpuLL07

Aug 31, 2023
USA
I will be building it on an lly block, this will be my first motor build and may bore it .020 so it has a fresh bore i have always used type "C" gm gaskets without problems

FuLLpuLL07

Aug 31, 2023
USA
150% injectors
dual fuelers with remaned stock pump in valley and stock cp3 with bag of parts on the dual

with the built motor will likely have single s480

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Wanting to build an engine rated for about 1300hp for pulling and drag racing.

Here is my list so far

Callies Durastar crank
Fingers cast oval bowl pistons
billet main caps
Carrillo Pro-H rods
bottom end girdle
gm type "c" head gasket
GM gold gaskets from the dealer? If so I would look into some Mahle gaskets. They've proven to hold significantly better than the GM gold gaskets.

exotic brand head studs
Are you going to be running their XP2 line (supposedly equivalent to ARP 625). I've had nothing but issues with their XP2 line. Personally I think you're really going to want a stronger stud than their base strength (CP877), ideally an ARP 625 or a Gator Fasteners competition series (ARP 625 equivalent).

callies stage 1 afo cam
wagler dual valve springs

ive also heard the oval bowls haze a little and cannot find a hp spec on them anywhere
They do haze. Dynomite's oval bowl spray pattern injector has been awesome and really helped with the downsides of ovals (not many downsides TBH). As for an HP rating, it's a cast piston, it's luck of the draw. I know cast ovals have been almost to 1800whp (Nathan Bandstra @ UCC) and I believe Brett's C10 made that or more HP on cast ovals based on track times/weight, could be wrong.

Long story short, cast ovals are an insanely strong piston that IMO is worth any minor "negative" they have.

150% injectors
dual fuelers with remaned stock pump in valley and stock cp3 with bag of parts on the dual
You will be fighting for pump IMO at 1300whp, that's a pretty large ask of two stock pumps without running them at 100% capacity. Time will tell tho!

with the built motor will likely have single s480
Single S480/96 is a ton of fun but can be a touch lazy, depends on your driving style and what you want it to do.

FuLLpuLL07

Aug 31, 2023
USA
Ok, Im likely to only make 1200 but would like to overbuild for peace of mind. I already dumped 3700 on exergy 150%'s so dynomite nozzles are out of the question ill look into the mahle gaskets and arp studs. Gonna run a spool jet and a little shot of nitrous to help light the turbo up

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Ok, Im likely to only make 1200 but would like to overbuild for peace of mind. I already dumped 3700 on exergy 150%'s so dynomite nozzles are out of the question ill look into the mahle gaskets and arp studs. Gonna run a spool jet and a little shot of nitrous to help light the turbo up
Really 900-1000+ I personally like to run a high strength stud (ARP 625 or Gator comp).

Completely understand on the injectors, just pointing out that technology has advanced and it's odd to understand why nobody else had done it. My guess is due to how niche they are.