100k miles, internal filter change?

MN2500HD

Dec 2, 2020
For the life of me I cannot find a straight answer. 2004 GMC2500HD with 100k miles. Doing all the fluids since I don’t have a good history on the truck.

Is it necessary to drop the pan on the transmission and change the internal filter or just drain and change the spin on? I see some folks say the internal only needs to be changed when doing a rebuild.

If I do drop the pan about how much fluid will I need? I see 7ish quarts for a filter change and 12.7 for full fill??

I’m assuming the 12.7 is to fill a new or rebuilt and the 7ish is with a pan drop and internal filter change and/or a drain plug drain and spin on change.

The crappy thing is you can’t buy the transdyne fluid in any less than gallon jugs.

Thank you

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ron Nielson

Oct 11, 2009
Berryton, KS
It is not necessary, but I would drop the pan, change the internal and external filter, and to a complete change to a TES-295 using the HOOT method. You don't know what you don't know (you don't have any history on the truck for the trans) so the price to do this work is minor compared to what MIGHT happen if you don't. Just the way I think about this.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
the old service manual initially said you only replace the internal filter on a rebuild as it was written about the 01 trans that had a metal screen in it from factory. that was changed to an actual filter in 02 and updating that little tid bit of info was left out for a long time.

i would change that internal filter more often than not. every 30-50k depending on how abusive you are to the trans. Spin on every 10k along with the fuel filter.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
the old service manual initially said you only replace the internal filter on a rebuild as it was written about the 01 trans that had a metal screen in it from factory. that was changed to an actual filter in 02 and updating that little tid bit of info was left out for a long time.

i would change that internal filter more often than not. every 30-50k depending on how abusive you are to the trans. Spin on every 10k along with the fuel filter.

^ This.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
anybody see the new trans spin on filter from ppe. its twice the size

PPE sent me one to try. They seem decent in construction and thought but I don't have any actual testing data to verify they handle the flowrate/pressure the same or better than the genuine Allison filter.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
PPE sent me one to try. They seem decent in construction and thought but I don't have any actual testing data to verify they handle the flowrate/pressure the same or better than the genuine Allison filter.

i would cut them apart and look at an allison vs the PPE.

I have very little trust in PPE's chinese junk

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
i would cut them apart and look at an allison vs the PPE.

I have very little trust in PPE's chinese junk

I don't blame you either. I haven't taken the time to cut it apart yet, buddy of mine snagged it and said he'd give it a shot. Once he changes the filter I'll cut it open. He's one of those guys who loves free parts.

ZeroGravity58

Mar 23, 2008
Maryland
I don't blame you either. I haven't taken the time to cut it apart yet, buddy of mine snagged it and said he'd give it a shot. Once he changes the filter I'll cut it open. He's one of those guys who loves free parts.
Who doesn't love free parts in this diesel game that always seems to keep us broke :oops:

SoCalMike

Dec 12, 2010
SoCal
For the life of me I cannot find a straight answer. 2004 GMC2500HD with 100k miles. Doing all the fluids since I don’t have a good history on the truck.

Is it necessary to drop the pan on the transmission and change the internal filter or just drain and change the spin on? I see some folks say the internal only needs to be changed when doing a rebuild.

If I do drop the pan about how much fluid will I need? I see 7ish quarts for a filter change and 12.7 for full fill??

I’m assuming the 12.7 is to fill a new or rebuilt and the 7ish is with a pan drop and internal filter change and/or a drain plug drain and spin on change.

The crappy thing is you can’t buy the transdyne fluid in any less than gallon jugs.

Thank you

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I would change the internal filter.

I recently replaced the internal harness, trans fluid exchange, replaced the internal filter, external filter, and fluid exchange on the transfer case. I used 20 qts with two drain and fills.

I would also consider doing front and rear differentials, brake fluid, and hydro boost.

Jun 1, 2012
I would change the internal filter.

I recently replaced the internal harness, trans fluid exchange, replaced the internal filter, external filter, and fluid exchange on the transfer case. I used 20 qts with two drain and fills.

I would also consider doing front and rear differentials, brake fluid, and hydro boost.
I agree as well... I only have 26k on my truck but everything has been changed at least once if not more.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

MN2500HD

Dec 2, 2020
We just did the external filter and drained the pan. Little over 7qts total. Used a DexIII fluid as that’s what was in there. Not going for extended drain intervals, 50k miles is plenty especially for no towing or hauling.

Used the new PPE long filter.

There was virtually nothing in the spin on filters magnet and nothing in the old fluid that came out.

I’m gonna go with the Alison recommendations to only change the internal at overhaul.

Eventually this truck will be built out but for now to get the boy through college and in his feet for work it’ll do.

Already changed the front, rear and transfer case fluids. Oil change with Amsoil 5w/40, coolant is good to -34f. Just have the power steering fluid to go as the breaks were done by the dealership before we bought it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

firestopper

Nov 27, 2020
I changed the internal filter at 95K and used Transynd fluid. The original internal filter was obvious dirtier than the new replacement. Keep in mind I also replace the spin-on every other oil change. I also service my engine oil/filter at 50%. This equates to roughly 4800 miles. The owners manual recommends servicing your oil around 10K. Thats just make no sense to me. If you all want to follow Allison's recommendation and only replace the internal at overhaul then go right ahead but a new filter costs a tiny fraction vs a failed Allison. Use your comment sense fellas.

This quality ATP-202 kit not only comes with a filter but an OEM gasket for $45 from a local parts warehouse. My Allison is worth a$45 internal filter every 100K.
fullsizeoutput_c0f.jpeg
IMG_3534.JPG