06 lly swap to 85 chevy

duramax85chevy

Aug 6, 2022
I need some help here. Im thinking about doing a lly swap in a 85 square body. I own a running driving 06 kodiak with the lly and allison 1000 with 165k on it.
Im getting a 85 rust free square body that has the old 6.5 diesel in it. I know alot of people have swaps from pickups to pickups but what about kodiak to pickup. I know the duramax and trans are the same but im wondering about the wiring harness. Any advice would be great. Any fabrication needed

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
IIRC, will need pickup truck oil pan and associated parts. Intake manifold may be different too. Also, in the pickups the 06 "LLY" was really an LBZ , so you'll want to make sure what you've got before looking for parts. Does your engine have an FICM on the pass side valve cover? That'll answer that question.
Not sure on anything else, but Im sure someone else will know.
Moved to Repower/transplant section. There are a few threads in this section on old square body swaps.

Last edited:

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
The upper and lower oil pans are different. Kodiaks are front sump, which actually works in some apps. The y bridge and intake tube pressed into it are different as well. Exhaust manifolds and up pipes are different too. A lot of these differences may not need changing if not going in a 2001-2010 pickup

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk