LLY: 05 LLY Build

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Well got the bottom end buttoned up. I would have bolted the heads on it but my dumb self decided to only order 8 lifters instead of 16 as well as I lost a cylinder head dowel to align the head to the block.

I've gotta say, this color looks amazing in the sun! This picture doesn't do it justice since all you can see is the front cover but the lower oil pan meeting a black block is pure eye candy (to me at least). The color is "Illusion Orange" and is high metallic. My powder coater really knocked it out of the park on this one. There are a few runs in the really complicated places but all in all I can't complain one bit.

I ended up buying a used Bullseye Batmowheel S475/87/1.00 with intentions of sending it Bullseye this winter to be upgraded to either a 75-76TCT or 80TCT compressor wheel with their gen 3 race cover. The turbo was defintely barked hard at least once but has no shaft play. The wheel has seen some dust but to be fair my Danville 68R I pulled off looked very similar after one summer of sled pulling. There are no big nicks in the wheel or chunks missing so it should be perfectly fine.

Attachments

• front_cover_1.jpg
    front_cover_1.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 61
  • cam_1.jpg
    cam_1.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 51
  • turbo_1.jpg
    turbo_1.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 55
  • turbo_2.jpg
    turbo_2.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 45

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Well, got a little more done this weekend. Got nothing done last weekend due to attending UCC.

1) Got the engine most of the way ready to drop into the engine bay (still need to do y-bridge, pedestal, and driver's side engine mount).

2) I got my AN fittings installed into the fuel feed on the "new to me" Exergy 14mm street pump.

Things are starting to come along! These pictures do not do the orange justice.

Attachments

• engine_pass_F_corner.jpg
    engine_pass_F_corner.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 57
  • engine_driver.jpg
    engine_driver.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 62
  • engine_front.jpg
    engine_front.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 50
  • cp3_AN_inlet.jpg
    cp3_AN_inlet.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 49

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Update: Got the rotating assy and block back from the machine shop last Thursday. The amount of weight they pulled out of the crank for balancing is insane. I've seen inside a few other built motor trucks

I managed to break an oil ring Sunday with my cheap Summit tapered ring compressor. After that $100 overnight bill from California I decided to overnight the ARP tapered ring compressor as well for 4.075" bore. I managed to break 2 more rings with the ARP tapered compressor (oil rings) so I had to suck it up and get help from the machine shop. What doesn't make sense is I've done this numerous times on other engines and had zero issues.

This weekend/next week (before UCC) I am hoping to have the engine bolted in the truck/bolted to the trans. That would be awesome to get accomplished as then all I have to do is bolt the turbo setup on and hook up the easy stuff.

the oil rings can be tricky on these truck when you put a piston in. radiusing the top of the cyl bore edge helps stop some of this. ive had better luck with the cheap oreillys rings compressor than the tapered ring compressors. i get those suckers TIGHT and once i get the skirt lined up in the bore and compressor flat to the deck, ill give it a hard quick tap and they usually drop right in.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
the oil rings can be tricky on these truck when you put a piston in. radiusing the top of the cyl bore edge helps stop some of this. ive had better luck with the cheap oreillys rings compressor than the tapered ring compressors. i get those suckers TIGHT and once i get the skirt lined up in the bore and compressor flat to the deck, ill give it a hard quick tap and they usually drop right in.

Good to know for future use. I know there had to have been something simple I was missing but at this point its water under the bridge. The long block is ready to drop in and should hopefully be running next weekend if my damn Mishimoto intercooler shows up hahaha.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Well, made some good progress this weekend. Got the engine, new converter, and turbo bolted in. I am waiting for some final parts (fan drive hub/idler, 5.5"-5" boot from HSP, intercooler boot from HSP) to get it going.

Attachments

• Engine_bolted_in.jpg
    Engine_bolted_in.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 77

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Looks good, won’t be long now.

Shouldn't be. I got the remaining parts ordered yesterday including buying a van thermostat housing and hose. With owning a shop the dealerships tend to give us pretty big price breaks. It came to $140 for the hose and thermostat housing direct from the dealership so I can't complain.

HSP also did me a solid. Apparently their S400 install kits DON'T come with an intercooler->cold side boot/clamps but someone there told me it did. They are sending them out as well as the correct 5.5"-5" 45deg race cover boot (the one I ordered over the phone but was told I needed a straight boot) with an RMA label for the straight boot will be here shortly (tracking shows tomorrow).

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Well got it to run this weekend. The throttle response is insane!!

I haven't had a chance to drive it yet but I've never seen a duramax gain RPM as quick as this hybrid setup does. I am waiting on a lower intercooler boot since HSP requires you to use the factory style (I was running WCFAB which their pipe meets the intercooler with a straight boot) so hence why it kinda cuts out when I try and give it some juice.

Vid: https://youtu.be/Sla7hl1qfTU

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Took it out for it's maiden voyage pulling. Pretty happy with only having the converter locked for ~60ft. I locked it at the last cone after it settled down. Realistically I should have locked it sooner but this was my first pull on a S400, mud tires, and this motor so I was a little conservative.

I've got to say, with the amount of fuel this thing as as well as the way the motor is built pedaling this thing is an absolute dream. It didn't fall off boost ect. I also was unlocked so that probably helped.

https://youtu.be/OzcxQf6J3Fo

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Lol well you made it to the end of the track!!!:thumb:
Pulled strong as an Ox

It definitely builds tq way different than a friends truck I drove for a few pulls in the open class for points while he was out of town. It also definitely spools better with a similar sized charger.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Finally Dyno'd

Well, finally was able to get the truck dyno tuned. I ended up going to Duramax Tuner as they are 3 hours from me as well as having one of the best dynos in the country in terms of loading and repeatably.

I understand dyno's are typically tuning tools but I was sure as hell bummed when it only made 820hp on a bullseye batmo S475 with tons of fuel. Then he said tq was 1748ft/lbs and I was blown away with what this hybrid kit was able to do for tq.

At the end of the day it made 820hp/1748tq at 1565us/22deg of timing. I am going to look into getting it dyno'd without the air filter as Bullseye says I am over 100hp low from what it should be. According to Bob @ Duramax Tuner if I went to say Danville or Fleece I would be able to get ~900+ out of it but how far north I don't know.

What I do know is the HSP air filter is sad. It is so damn small for a 5" intake tube. I'm going to pull it off on the dyno Saturday and see how it cleans up for the Hot Shot's Secret Churning Dirt Diesel Truck Challenge.

Attachments

• dyno.jpg
    dyno.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 20

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
https://youtu.be/sNhWDWsuzg8

Well finally got a good hook in. Took second behind a remote mount S480/96 T6 with 150% overs, dual 10mm, built motor ect.

This motor sounds so nasty compared to most trucks I've heard. Wondering if thats just AF cam sounds or possibly due to the longer rods?