LB7: 03 LB7 won't start after changing CP3 pump

Meltd0wn

May 4, 2011
Yeah why anyone would buy anything from Pensacola diesel is beyond me. If 5 minutes of Internet searching doesn't make you wanna run away screaming idk what will.... Oh wait, having to replace a cp3 twice might do the trick!!! Hope you haven't forgotten how to replace those injectors either, doubt they last long at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually, I did internet searches for injectors and pumps, and I saw good and bad reviews for ALL of them. I actually saw quite a few good reviews for Pensacola, and I spoke to the owner of the business by email, and by phone. We shall see how this works out, and I'll let everyone here know it all went.

Huffy67

Dec 26, 2014
Arkansas
I refuse to get stock injectors or pumps anywhere from the dealer whether it be GM or Ford.

Huffy67

Dec 26, 2014
Arkansas
Places like LDS and Merchant are very reputable, Pensacola is known garbage.

Meltd0wn

May 4, 2011
Alright I talked to Dave at PD this morning and he says it's the fuel pressure regulator. I bought the pump without a regulator because I already had one that I had purchased several years ago. Anyway, I ordered one of PD's regulators to see if it makes a difference. If the regulator was bad, wouldn't the pump still have pressure anyway?

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
If your getting flow out of the pump but no pressure it's hooped. Seen it before on a supposed reman for an LBZ. Took the outlet line right off and it would pump fuel but you could hold your finger over the end.

Terrible idea whether you think the pump is not building pressure or not.

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
Alright I talked to Dave at PD this morning and he says it's the fuel pressure regulator. I bought the pump without a regulator because I already had one that I had purchased several years ago. Anyway, I ordered one of PD's regulators to see if it makes a difference. If the regulator was bad, wouldn't the pump still have pressure anyway?

Yes it would and if you disconnect the regulator it maxes the pump out. doubt that is your problem.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Terrible idea whether you think the pump is not building pressure or not.
My buddy did it while I cranked. I'm not recommending it for obvious reasons, just stating what we found.

That said IMO capping off the potential for 29mpa with a regular hose and gauge is more dangerous.

Myself, if I need to do something like that without the proper lines gauges and fittings, I use a rubber glove taped onto a wrench and hold it over the fitting opening. Or just tape even sometimes.

greendury

Jan 28, 2011
I have used Pensacola injectors in two different trucks. Both being lb7s. They both ran great with no issues. Just my personal experience.

Huffy67

Dec 26, 2014
Arkansas
The truck will run with a bad fpr or if it's unplugged. It will just max rail pressure so i also don't think this is your problem.

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
My buddy did it while I cranked. I'm not recommending it for obvious reasons, just stating what we found.

That said IMO capping off the potential for 29mpa with a regular hose and gauge is more dangerous.

Myself, if I need to do something like that without the proper lines gauges and fittings, I use a rubber glove taped onto a wrench and hold it over the fitting opening. Or just tape even sometimes.

Yeah I have seen what Hydraulic injection does to a hand. you get to have cuts from your wrist down to the tips of your fingers opened up to allow the fluid to drain out. very ugly situation.

Meltd0wn

May 4, 2011
Okay, Pensacola diesel ripped me off blind, bottom line on that subject. I ordered a pump from a different outfit in Illinois, installed it today, primed and cranked the truck over 3 times and like magic it purred back to life. This ends the saga of the POS Pensacola CP3 pump. Buy from a reputable outfit, and steer clear of Pensacola Diesel. It got to the point where they wouldn't even talk to me. They're 1500 miles from here so it's not like I can easily walk into their shop and bounce the pump off of someone's head. I had to use their pump as a core for the new purchase. Thanks everyone for the input :thumb:. https://youtu.be/2ipcIJsTidc

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
Okay, Pensacola diesel ripped me off blind, bottom line on that subject. I ordered a pump from a different outfit in Illinois, installed it today, primed and cranked the truck over 3 times and like magic it purred back to life. This ends the saga of the POS Pensacola CP3 pump. Buy from a reputable outfit, and steer clear of Pensacola Diesel. It got to the point where they wouldn't even talk to me. They're 1500 miles from here so it's not like I can easily walk into their shop and bounce the pump off of someone's head. I had to use their pump as a core for the new purchase. Thanks everyone for the input :thumb:. https://youtu.be/2ipcIJsTidc

It has even happened with pumps built by the "best in the business" certified bosh techs and all. They did stand behind them but it still doesn't make the repeatable labor free.

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
It does happen everywhere... Just happens at Pensacola alot more often

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk