03 lb7 smokes whitish-blue

turbojoe

undercover dmax lover
May 7, 2011
Farm. Hills, MI
Its an 03 lb7 with 155k and it smoke whitish-blue out the exhaust all the time, more so at idle, the truck runs beautiful. There is no sign of head gasket/inj. cup issues. it does not over pressurize tank or puke out coolant and the top rad. hose does not get rock hard. The oil level is not higher than normal. i checked balance rates, all are within spec and i even individually turned off each injector and the smoke did not change. I tried smelling the exhaust and it smells more like fuel than oil, but its kinda hard to tell. My last idea could be the turbo passing oil into the exh. housing....:dontknow: just wondering if anybody else has ran into this problem.
thanks
Joe

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
thing is the guy just changed the oil too. but he said he only drained out about 7-8 qrts...

hmmm. might check compression and like you said before, check the turbo for oil leaks into the motor. if its the turbo, you could potentionally get a run-a-way motor if it leaks bad enough

PhilsLB7

Way Better Than Facebook
Jun 29, 2009
Tennessee
hmmm. might check compression and like you said before, check the turbo for oil leaks into the motor. if its the turbo, you could potentionally get a run-a-way motor if it leaks bad enough

What do you mean by "run-a-way motor"? Just wanting to understand.

KEVINL

Jul 4, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
the engine will run off of the oil and since diesels have no throttle they will rev as high as it wants as long as their is oil usually blowing the motor in the process

PhilsLB7

Way Better Than Facebook
Jun 29, 2009
Tennessee
the engine will run off of the oil and since diesels have no throttle they will rev as high as it wants as long as their is oil usually blowing the motor in the process

Thanks for the explanation. Hope I didn't derail the thread.