02 LLY swap

hhh217

Oct 17, 2010
I bought a pretty clean 02 needing head gaskets and after a tear down I decided to go with a LLY swap. Here is the set up from the parts I could get my hands on. Lb7 bottom end and cp3. LLY top end with a LBZ turbo. LLY ecm and modded Harnes. All that is pretty common to the swaps. The only thing that stands out a little is y bridge, turbo, turbo inlet combo. I used the factory LB7 bridge ont lly runners. After grinding a little on the back of the bridge, unbolting the turbo and leaning it back I could install the bridge and turbo inlet clamp. I used a premade inlet flange that I milled out to 3.5” and a 3.5” elbow that I cut down and made to fit the factory lb7 intake. I added a 3” down pipe and LML style manifold. So far I am pleased with the swap.
I hope these pics work.
NDwVJqzWH4kku7Wa6

Can anyone help with adding pics?

Last edited:

hhh217

Oct 17, 2010
Pics

Hopefully these work.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 9665ECDC-D278-4F40-9A80-B457CF37015E.jpg
    9665ECDC-D278-4F40-9A80-B457CF37015E.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 135
  • D916A4BD-21C0-479B-A1CA-56A6BE7A814B.jpg
    D916A4BD-21C0-479B-A1CA-56A6BE7A814B.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 135

hhh217

Oct 17, 2010
Like most of you it’s hard to stop modding your truck so here is the newest additions to my truck. It was factory 2wd and now is floor shift 4wd. I welded in all brackets from a doner truck to install the front diff in the factory location. Installed a 4wd tail section on the trans when it was getting built and all other parts to make 4wd function. After many hours of research I got the a/c system to work all ecm controlled with a custom ecm tune. I then moved on to the most recent mod. 6 speed Allison conversion that I did myself. Modded 6 speed valve body installed in my 5 speed trans and a special tune made by a very smart guy I recently got in contact with. After me bugging him about his 6 speed conversion tune he figured out how to add the hard wired odlo switch function so I can have odlo in my 02 truck. I could be wrong but I don’t think that is available with any other 6 speed conversion in 01-02 trucks or for custom swap applications. Taking a break for a moment since I have way to much time under the hood of this truck. So far everything works almost like it’s a factory built truck.

rfletes79

Mar 5, 2010
Galt, Ca 95632
Pretty amazing, any way I can get in touch with your tcm tuning guy?? I'd love to have that option on my 02 6 speed, ODLO. I currently run the duramax tuner kit but cant turn 5th gear off, I only have the option of turning 6th gear off with the th button and have asked for the 5th off option as well but have been waiting for over a 1 year now and nothing........

down_hiller

Oct 28, 2016
How hard was the swap? Ive got an 02 Ive thought about doing the same to. Everyone says its easy to swap an 03 or 04 lb7 to lly.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Like most of you it’s hard to stop modding your truck so here is the newest additions to my truck. It was factory 2wd and now is floor shift 4wd. I welded in all brackets from a doner truck to install the front diff in the factory location. Installed a 4wd tail section on the trans when it was getting built and all other parts to make 4wd function. After many hours of research I got the a/c system to work all ecm controlled with a custom ecm tune. I then moved on to the most recent mod. 6 speed Allison conversion that I did myself. Modded 6 speed valve body installed in my 5 speed trans and a special tune made by a very smart guy I recently got in contact with. After me bugging him about his 6 speed conversion tune he figured out how to add the hard wired odlo switch function so I can have odlo in my 02 truck. I could be wrong but I don’t think that is available with any other 6 speed conversion in 01-02 trucks or for custom swap applications. Taking a break for a moment since I have way to much time under the hood of this truck. So far everything works almost like it’s a factory built truck.

Yes it is. Duramax Tuner has had that feature in the 6 speed conversion for the last couple years. I was the test mule for it

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Pretty amazing, any way I can get in touch with your tcm tuning guy?? I'd love to have that option on my 02 6 speed, ODLO. I currently run the duramax tuner kit but cant turn 5th gear off, I only have the option of turning 6th gear off with the th button and have asked for the 5th off option as well but have been waiting for over a 1 year now and nothing........

Did you put the momentary switch in? When was the last tune from them?

Chavez91

People Go Outside?
May 30, 2012
Heh. Wouldn't you like to know
Yes it is. Duramax Tuner has had that feature in the 6 speed conversion for the last couple years. I was the test mule for it

Correct, the conversion has had these features along with a few other unique ones added since the get go. Almost 1.5 years ago.

On the earlier trucks, ODLO requires a momentary switch as James said as they don't send the required signals from the BCM to enable ODLO like the later trucks do. Both methods are enabled in the tune for compatibility.

Chavez91

People Go Outside?
May 30, 2012
Heh. Wouldn't you like to know
Just some random food for thought...

There are really only 2 people I know who actually have legitimately done 6 spd conversions other than myself. And those 2 are of 5 people in the industry that are capable of pulling it off, that I know of. Not that it's impossible to... But there aren't a whole lot of people behind the scenes that make magic happen, especially for an almost obsolete platform. I only did it because I wanted it for both my trucks, and it was a skill practice/learning experience.

hhh217

Oct 17, 2010
Here is my best shot at answering all the above questions and info. I didn’t think anyone else could lock out 5th gear with odlo on the 01-02 trucks or in customs swaps. That was his and my thoughts but we don’t know that for sure. I started the conversion after reading a thread of a guy that said he used a 6 speed valve body, 5 speed trim solenoids and a modded harness. I am sure the tranny guys know that stuff doesn’t all slide together but with a little work I got it and with the file I got from my tuner it work. I reset all shift tables and most are now in slow learn so the tcm likes the mechanical part I swapped in. As far as the tuning goes yeah you can be skeptical that he didn’t make it but I’ll tell you how it went. He first sent me a tune that got me 6 gears. I asked him about odlo and he wasn’t really interested in spending the time “reading the code” excuse my language I am not a tuner, to try and figure it out and possibly come up empty handed. I pushed him a little harder and offered to pay him for his time. I told him as much about diff years and how odlo is enabled in the trucks. He compared them and put together an odlo tune. I wired up a momentary switch and it works. He is still trying to get the hard wired indicator to work but that part is still in the works or maybe won’t get done. I first got in touch with this guy because no one I found could program a replacement a50 tcm for a 09 medium duty truck. A50 updates to a t14 but gm never updated the calibration and it bricks a t14 when installed. From what I can tell he modified the program and installed it in a different (not a50 or t14) Allison tcm and sent it to me. That tcm worked fine. I am not here to argue about any of it I was just listing my new truck mods.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Here is my best shot at answering all the above questions and info. I didn’t think anyone else could lock out 5th gear with odlo on the 01-02 trucks or in customs swaps. That was his and my thoughts but we don’t know that for sure. I started the conversion after reading a thread of a guy that said he used a 6 speed valve body, 5 speed trim solenoids and a modded harness. I am sure the tranny guys know that stuff doesn’t all slide together but with a little work I got it and with the file I got from my tuner it work. I reset all shift tables and most are now in slow learn so the tcm likes the mechanical part I swapped in. As far as the tuning goes yeah you can be skeptical that he didn’t make it but I’ll tell you how it went. He first sent me a tune that got me 6 gears. I asked him about odlo and he wasn’t really interested in spending the time “reading the code” excuse my language I am not a tuner, to try and figure it out and possibly come up empty handed. I pushed him a little harder and offered to pay him for his time. I told him as much about diff years and how odlo is enabled in the trucks. He compared them and put together an odlo tune. I wired up a momentary switch and it works. He is still trying to get the hard wired indicator to work but that part is still in the works or maybe won’t get done. I first got in touch with this guy because no one I found could program a replacement a50 tcm for a 09 medium duty truck. A50 updates to a t14 but gm never updated the calibration and it bricks a t14 when installed. From what I can tell he modified the program and installed it in a different (not a50 or t14) Allison tcm and sent it to me. That tcm worked fine. I am not here to argue about any of it I was just listing my new truck mods.

That doesn’t really answer much but do appreciate some explanation

hhh217

Oct 17, 2010
That doesn’t really answer much but do appreciate some explanation

What do you want me to answer? I feel like I am getting beaten up on my truck build thread. I have a working 6 speed made from used Allison parts in my 02 truck with a Custom tune. I believe my valve body is from a LBZ but don’t know for sure. My local trans shop had a used one on the shelf.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
You're not getting "beaten up", you're dealing with a lot of people who've "been there ", so when someone figures something out that we overlooked, we like to ask about it.

hhh217

Oct 17, 2010
How hard was the swap? Ive got an 02 Ive thought about doing the same to. Everyone says its easy to swap an 03 or 04 lb7 to lly.

If you get a conversion harness it pretty much the same amount of work as the 03-04 swap. Without that the you might not want to attempt it.

rfletes79

Mar 5, 2010
Galt, Ca 95632

This would be a super long post to get all the info out and I don’t want to jack up his thread. Long story short, last revision I got was a year ago. At that time I was told an 02 didn’t have the option for odlo and that they were currently working on the tap shifter option to address this for my year truck. So no, I never installed a momentary switch as I was never told that was an option for the duramax tuner 6 speed conversion.

If it is currently an option I’m all ears, how do I make it work? Who do I talk to there at duramax tuner....

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Try the switch first. Just plug it in like Kennedy Diesel states for a ODLO kit they sell. Uses the same pins. I have never had an LED hooked up to know of the indicator light works (separate light you can plug into a single pin and then ground the other end to let you know if ODLO is enabled).

This way I use tow/haul to kick out 6th (disabled 6th when in tow/haul) and the switch to kick out 5th.