LB7: 02 LB7 Rebuild

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
02 LB7, .20 over 15 to 1 Socal Diesel cut and coated pistons and Crower rods,ARP Head and Main studs.Socal dampener,45% over injectors.

DSCF6032.jpg

DSCF6033.jpg

DSCF6034.jpg

DSCF6035.jpg

DSCF6036.jpg

DSCF6037.jpg

DSCF6038.jpg

DSCF6039.jpg

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
We got this motor already built,My friend had his machinist friend do the build, Went and picked it up he never bagged it up, He wasted the time bagging it up for the ride home in my truck. Once here we un bagged it and it had metal dust all over the inside so we had to take it back apart, We ended up finding that he never even polished the crank and the rod bearings had scratchs in them. Also when he went to get all the weights for the balancing he just moved the pistons around and mixed the rods and all till it was matched. We figured he had the rods and piston right we should of thought and looked closer, This is how he had installed the pistons pics below.
DSCF6054.jpg

DSCF6057.jpg

LBZrcks

Jun 2, 2007
SoCal
We got this motor already built,My friend had his machinist friend do the build, Went and picked it up he never bagged it up, He wasted the time bagging it up for the ride home in my truck. Once here we un bagged it and it had metal dust all over the inside so we had to take it back apart, We ended up finding that he never even polished the crank and the rod bearings had scratchs in them. Also when he went to get all the weights for the balancing he just moved the pistons around and mixed the rods and all till it was matched. We figured he had the rods and piston right we should of thought and looked closer, This is how he had installed the pistons pics below.
DSCF6054.jpg

DSCF6057.jpg

That Sucks :(

Jun 28, 2007
NE Pa
For those that don't know the wrist pins are not centered in the pistons but rather have a small offset to eliminate some of the side thrust. This is why many motors have left and right hand pistons (really the same, just 4 are installed upside down). I am assuming the D-Max is this way and thats why there are -->'s;)

Last edited:

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
Yes I wasn't sure how much was different with the right to left on a Dmax, I called Guy and he said there is 30 thousands offset.This motor was already built once heads on and tqed,When I picked it up for my friend it was in the machine shop next to a mill that was running the motor had metal shavings stuck all over the rods and crank and bottom of the pistons,We tore it apart and found the crank was not turned and the bearings were scratched,Did not give 2 thoughts of the pistons since he had balanced it all he did was match the weights by swapping the pisons around and when we put everything back and then looked and felt dumb to see that 4 pistons were in the wrong hole.All is fixed now, Guess it was a good thing we took it apart from seeing the shavings since the heads were already on, Sucks for him that he has to get new head gaskets again and had to get new rod bearings. Better safe then sorry.

Jun 28, 2007
NE Pa
Yes I wasn't sure how much was different with the right to left on a Dmax, I called Guy and he said there is 30 thousands offset.This motor was already built once heads on and tqed,When I picked it up for my friend it was in the machine shop next to a mill that was running the motor had metal shavings stuck all over the rods and crank and bottom of the pistons,We tore it apart and found the crank was not turned and the bearings were scratched,Did not give 2 thoughts of the pistons since he had balanced it all he did was match the weights by swapping the pisons around and when we put everything back and then looked and felt dumb to see that 4 pistons were in the wrong hole.All is fixed now, Guess it was a good thing we took it apart from seeing the shavings since the heads were already on, Sucks for him that he has to get new head gaskets again and had to get new rod bearings. Better safe then sorry.

Too much $ on the line to gamble it all to try and save a few hundred $:baby: