Yellowchevy IHI Review

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
well i recently installed a ported and polished IHI turbo by Russell aka "Yellowchevy". the turbo was a stock rebuild with his absolutely amazing port and polish job, i can guarentee you none of the other companies like fleece or danville put even half the effort that Russell puts into these turbos with port and polish work.
he also added a Wetzel wheel which is alot like a batmowheel but just a little different. the turbo sounds amazing and screams on hard launches.

its a little bit quieter as far as low end whistle which i love because my metal intake was starting to get a little bit annying but once you get into it the sound is unlike anything i have heard before.

i have heard that boost overall would be down just a bit because well lets face it all of that air has way more room to move freely, but i can tell you the boost definitely ramps up way harder and faster. i just dont have a way of loooking at total boost because i just have the edge insight monitor and it caps out at 24 but i know it goes above that.

the work that Russell does to these turbos is amazing i am really glad i got one of his turbos it really made my truck come alive. along with the turbo i also got a set of ported and polished manifolds and 2' uppipes from Russell that i had ceramic coated when they showed up in the mail and they really complimented the turbo well. and for the price of a danville or fleece comparable unit you get everything i listed so that was a no brainer there. the horsepower per dollar was tough to beat.
i also got a turbo blanket by Levi and that really complimented the whole setup very well.

Thank you Russell for everything you did a fantastic job i couldnt be happier.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Good to hear. Russ and I have PM'd back and forth about sending my turbo in when the time comes.

BTW, what is a "Wetzel wheel"?

pizza pig

I Like to Party
Feb 13, 2012
CT
majority of the billet wheels youre getting now a days are manufactured by the same company over seas.

OregonDMAX

Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
unless im wrong, billet wheels make no performance difference, they are just stronger. and the wetzel and batmowheels arent even billet they are cast.

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
unless im wrong, billet wheels make no performance difference, they are just stronger. and the wetzel and batmowheels arent even billet they are cast.

Both the batmo and wetzel wheel are most definitely billet. The design of the wheel will determine if it makes a performance difference or not. Since billet wheel is (hopefully) stronger than its cast counter part, you can slim down the hub diameter to increase blade length/surface area as well as contour the blades design for maximum efficiency. The majority of billet wheels were designed to outflow their cast replacement.

OregonDMAX

Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
Both the batmo and wetzel wheel are most definitely billet. The design of the wheel will determine if it makes a performance difference or not. Since billet wheel is (hopefully) stronger than its cast counter part, you can slim down the hub diameter to increase blade length/surface area as well as contour the blades design for maximum efficiency. The majority of billet wheels were designed to outflow their cast replacement.

after i said that i realized i was wrong about them being cast but you definitely cant compare them to a regular ole billet wheel, like you said they are contoured pretty crazy compared to a standard billet wheel.

the wetzel wheel is 6 blade like the batmowheel the only difference is the design, which creates a far different sound. wetzel also claims more hp gain than batmowheel does.

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
Thanks for the kind words Sean!!! :thumb:

I'm machining 64mm covers for a guys out east & he dyno'd the batmowheel & wetzel wheel. He said the wetzel wheel made 10hp more than the batmowheel.

I'll be comparing stock, batmowheel, wetzel, & KTS(think thats right) wheels as well as porting/polishing so I know the difference.

Greg,
I talked to Scott about his wheels & he has them made locally; that's what I remember him saying. I thought for sure they were made else where just like everybody else too, haha.

They're nice wheels. He spent some time coming up with the design.

I still like the batmowheels & think they're good. I just like giving people different options.

Yellowchevy

OregonDMAX

Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
After hearing a batmowheel truck I wanted to try the wetzel wheel and now I know I like the wetzel wheel more! But yo really can't go wrong either way.

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
Yellow, the guy making the claim of 10hp wouldnt be named josh by chance?

Correct. I didn't see any proof but he sounds like a stable guy when I've talked to him on the phone!!:D

This is why I'm going to do my own testing & post my results. Noting earth shattering, just want people to make an informed decision.

Yellowchevy

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Russell does some damn good work. i couldnt be happier with my turbo i had him do! between that and the 480 i upgraded to, the top end pulls much harder!

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
Russell does some damn good work. i couldnt be happier with my turbo i had him do! between that and the 480 i upgraded to, the top end pulls much harder!

Thanks James!!! :thumb:
I've got a 64mm IHI coming up if you want to try that next???

I need to make single & twin turbo kits for Samari's know were I can find one??? :D

Yellowchevy

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Thanks James!!! :thumb:
I've got a 64mm IHI coming up if you want to try that next???

I need to make single & twin turbo kits for Samari's know were I can find one??? :D

Yellowchevy

i really want to but cost is my issue right now. soon as the wife finishes student teaching/graduates in december and has a job, i can go back to playing.

and i might know a guy, want one? :D :rofl:

ill give you a ring tonight since i missed your call couple days ago

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
i really want to but cost is my issue right now. soon as the wife finishes student teaching/graduates in december and has a job, i can go back to playing.

and i might know a guy, want one? :D :rofl:

ill give you a ring tonight since i missed your call couple days ago

I understand, just adding fuel to the fire!! :thumb:

I had a samari years ago, guess I should have kept it!!!

No bid deal, I didn't have anything important to say.

Yellowchevy