Torque wrench suggestions

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
I need some new torque wrenched for a job. One for inch pounds and the other a standard 0-150 or so foot pounds. I have a snappy flex head but needs to be calibrated as someone borrowed it and didn't zero it. So I figure I might as well buy two new ones.

madmatt

Apr 12, 2009
"the mecca"
www.facebook.com
snap on are the only way to go. I've had several brands but now have 5 of the tried and true snap on click type. 1/4 in lb,3/8 in lb, 3/8 ft lb, 1/2 ft lb and 3/4 ft lb. calibrate them yearly still.

c55asleep

Apr 23, 2009
Miami,Fl
I need some new torque wrenched for a job. One for inch pounds and the other a standard 0-150 or so foot pounds. I have a snappy flex head but needs to be calibrated as someone borrowed it and didn't zero it. So I figure I might as well buy two new ones.

I have matco 1/4 3/8 1/2 3/4 and all are working with no problems. Of course the 1/2 gets used the most taking off and putting on wheels all the time. I would just stay away from the digital ones, seem to be a bit sensitive.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Jordan,
You should have access to all the tool dealers there in reno, So... they all make nice tq. wrenches. I prefer snap on Tech Wrench, spendy but very nice. The 3/8 & 1/2 will do inch lbs, foot lbs, newton meters all in one. The new tech wrench can do torque angle as well, all built into one wrench with no gadgets to add on. 3/8 & 1/2 would cover every thing you would need...

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
Jordan,
You should have access to all the tool dealers there in reno, So... they all make nice tq. wrenches. I prefer snap on Tech Wrench, spendy but very nice. The 3/8 & 1/2 will do inch lbs, foot lbs, newton meters all in one. The new tech wrench can do torque angle as well, all built into one wrench with no gadgets to add on. 3/8 & 1/2 would cover every thing you would need...

I need small stuff for the job I just got. I have a snap on flex head click style 3/8 and a proto 1/2 for the big stuff. I need an in lb 3/8. and to take my wrenches to get calibrated and should be good. Im also going to buy some new metric wrenches so I have a set for work and a set for home.

GeneralTJI

Turbo Todd
Jun 1, 2010
Colorado
I have a 240 or 250 ft/lb Kobalt that so far has been really good. If I used it everyday all day I would spend more for a Snap-on or simil. But getting used here and there it seems to do the job.

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
How low on the inch lbs? The tech wrench does them all...

0-600. My future boss just called and they're going to order me one so I don't have to worry about it I guess. I need to take my snappy and proto in for cal next week

JD4440

<< Lo-Carb Monster
Feb 27, 2009
Orlinda, TN
Jordan,

About how much is a Snap On tech Wrench- 1/2" ?

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
480-500ish IIRC for the 1/2" tech wrench that does tq. angle as well... I know its a lot of money but so is an engine. i guess you just have to weight your options and decide if its worth it to you or not. I buy snap on because they have very nice tools, don't ask any questions when I need warranty (even if its obvious I used it for something other than its original intent), & they show up at work every week.

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
480-500ish IIRC for the 1/2" tech wrench that does tq. angle as well... I know its a lot of money but so is an engine. i guess you just have to weight your options and decide if its worth it to you or not. I buy snap on because they have very nice tools, don't ask any questions when I need warranty (even if its obvious I used it for something other than its original intent), & they show up at work every week.

Ill have to see if the tool trucks make their rounds at my new job. You cant get ahold of a guy to save your life here. Our economy is upside down compared to yours though Albert :D

E.carter

Feb 16, 2008
Princeton, Iowa
I recommend if your on a budget and want the same great tq wrench as snap on, buy a precision tq wrench. They are the company that make snap on's and are identical but blue instead of red. My matco man sells precision torque wrenches over his brand due to warranty and quality.

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
Jordan come on up the weather is great.... -35* and the suns out for 5 whole hours!:spit:

That sounds fantastic. I feel like a total vagina for having my propane heater warming my garage up for me right now before I go out there. Maybe Ill venture up that way someday if you can get me a job bolting big yellow iron together.

bullfrogjohnson

Big Girl!
Nov 20, 2006
Locust, NC
That sounds fantastic. I feel like a total vagina for having my propane heater warming my garage up for me right now before I go out there. Maybe Ill venture up that way someday if you can get me a job bolting big yellow iron together.

Great thing about big yellow iron in -35* is that everything in the machine is -35*. I was working on some D10R undercarriage today and you only have to lift a couple track pads before you warm up pretty quick:D

I also have snap on tech wrenches and love them. They are a little longer than most and that helps when are doing high torque stuff.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
I was zip tying a CAES system harness up to the back of a D11T today, Zip tie broke I punched myself square in the nose :thumb: Damn near knocked me off the fuel tank. Stupid cold weather and plastic don't mix...

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
I was zip tying a CAES system harness up to the back of a D11T today, Zip tie broke I punched myself square in the nose :thumb: Damn near knocked me off the fuel tank. Stupid cold weather and plastic don't mix...

Hahaha. Sometimes you wonder why you even wanted to ever work on any sort of machine in the first place.