All wheel drive duramax

KEVINL

Jul 4, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I was talking to a buddy the other day and telling him flooring my truck anywhere under 60MPH usually results in the tires spinning like crazy.

He said to bad they didn't make these all wheel drive like the old trucks reffering to trucks that used the NP203 Transfer case.

That got me thinking what about putting NP203 in a Duramax

First off was the NP203 only used in half tons? I know the 205 & 208 were used in one tons but I don't know anything about the 203. Is it strong enough?

What would it take to make it work behind an Allison? Output shaft size and spline count? Obviously custom driveshafts would be needed most likely

Do most transfer cases use the same bolt pattern?

Probably not something I will do anytime soon if it is even feasible.

I figured an AWD duramax would be a good discussion

Smokin LB7

Jul 25, 2008
I think it would be easier to swap in silverado SS stuff...But I guess I dont really know. I agree it would be awesome to have that though...AWESOME!!

770JOHNNYW

Sep 16, 2009
Gainesville ,Ga
I think it would be easier to swap in silverado SS stuff...But I guess I dont really know. I agree it would be awesome to have that though...AWESOME!!

yea but like he said that t case would have a 4L-60 bolt pattern and im sure they have smaller ouput shafts...that would be pretty sick though

TIM Z

Screwed by 0087s
Jan 17, 2009
Navarre, OH
AWD would be sweet for a Street driver/ racer.

these trucks are so hard on rear tires its not funny!

Not sure what options are out there for a HD AWD Tcase, But i bet one exists.

Zeake

Dec 2, 2009
Hummer transfer case is a possibility. I unfortunately don't know enough about how they work or electronics and Transfer case control modules and etc etc etc

My truck is over 500 horsepower and has not hurt the transfer case at all. Several guys on performance trucks.net have been way over that horsepower number and have had no problems. An 04 Denalli had 1000hp and the tc was fine. The truck however was in a meth fire and died shortly after it was built.
I personally dont see an STS system making enough power to kill the silverado ss transfer case.

Last edited:

TIM Z

Screwed by 0087s
Jan 17, 2009
Navarre, OH
Hummer transfer case is a possibility. I unfortunately don't know enough about how they work or electronics and Transfer case control modules and etc etc etc

My truck is over 500 horsepower and has not hurt the transfer case at all. Several guys on performance trucks.net have been way over that horsepower number and have had no problems. An 04 Denalli had 1000hp and the tc was fine. The truck however was in a meth fire and died shortly after it was built.
I personally dont see an STS system making enough power to kill the silverado ss transfer case.

Its not horsepower were talking about, its the Torque.

With most trucks here having 850+++ RWTQ its what will find the weak link.

The trucks on PT.net are running great for gassers but dont have the TQ the Dmaxes do.:)

And BTW my 04 Z71 with the STS kit had enough power to burn up my trans and and blow my rear locker and ring gear apart:eek: But granted it was easier on a Drivetrain than a Maggie is.

Last edited:

Vasbinder

Dec 19, 2008
Floresville, Texas
With a NP 203 the power goes to the axle with the least traction. You have to run it in 4 HI Lock to get power to each axle or 4 LO Lock. So with it in Lock it's like the transfer you have now.

Zeake

Dec 2, 2009
Its not horsepower were talking about, its the Torque.

With most trucks here having 850+++ RWTQ its what will find the weak link.

The trucks on PT.net are running great for gassers but dont have the TQ the Dmaxes do.:)

I agree with that. I think that it is stronger than the credit it is givin. I am more interested in finding out how the hummer transfer case would do in a duramax. I plan on getting a dmax soon and have 2 AWD vehicles and I love it. All time 4wd is great. The hummer transfer case also still uses the low and hi functions. The SS transfer case only has hi.

02bigstrokin

Sep 9, 2008

the guy guy bullfrog is talking about is my friend that lives near me. first the driveshaft came out on the dyno, then he broke the extension housing, than grenaded the tranfer case. i was in the truck when the tc went. it was nasty. just because yours hasnt doesnt mean all of them will be that way. everyone know somebody else that has a badass truck and never had any problems. think about it, if it were meant to be in our trucks they would have had the option from the factory.

oh yeah his truck did 430hp on the dyno.

Last edited:

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
1 Thing to remember about the AWD tcases they use a clutch pack to slip enough to get away with the AWD , they would never hold the a DMAX . I use 4wd all the time on the street , just reach down and push the button when i'm done playing :D

02bigstrokin

Sep 9, 2008
I was talking to a buddy the other day and telling him flooring my truck anywhere under 60MPH usually results in the tires spinning like crazy.

He said to bad they didn't make these all wheel drive like the old trucks reffering to trucks that used the NP203 Transfer case.

That got me thinking what about putting NP203 in a Duramax

First off was the NP203 only used in half tons? I know the 205 & 208 were used in one tons but I don't know anything about the 203. Is it strong enough?

What would it take to make it work behind an Allison? Output shaft size and spline count? Obviously custom driveshafts would be needed most likely

Do most transfer cases use the same bolt pattern?

Probably not something I will do anytime soon if it is even feasible.

I figured an AWD duramax would be a good discussion

you sir have shity tires!

Zeake

Dec 2, 2009
the guy guy bullfrog is talking about is my friend that lives near me. first the driveshaft came out on the dyno, then he broke the extension housing, than grenaded the tranfer case. i was in the truck when the tc went. it was nasty. just because yours hasnt doesnt mean all of them will be that way. everyone know somebody else that has a badass truck and never had any problems. think about it, if it were meant to be in our trucks they would have had the option from the factory.

oh yeah his truck did 430hp on the dyno.

I would better a bunch of money his transfer case was damaged when the driveshaft let go. I really dont think he was pushing enough power to hurt a healthy nvg149 or silverado SS transfer case. I am not sure which vehicle the np 203 came in.

1 Thing to remember about the AWD tcases they use a clutch pack to slip enough to get away with the AWD , they would never hold the a DMAX . I use 4wd all the time on the street , just reach down and push the button when i'm done playing :D

It is not a clutch pack it is a viscous fluid coupling. You are right though the torque of an 8000lb truck pushed by 600 ft lbs of torque would be its death.

hummer runs a 4l-80 right?

The last one I looked at had a 4l60 unless I am completely wrong. That has happened before. It should have a 4l80 though. :thumb:

Last edited:

770JOHNNYW

Sep 16, 2009
Gainesville ,Ga
i thought they had 3/4 ton suspension [the h2 that is] and i think all later model 3/4 ton gassers had 4l-80..... same here i may be way off. If it did have a 80 i think the bolt pattern is bigger on the t cas so you would have a better chance of mating to an ally. the hummer tcase has to be stronger than the ss t cas

Last edited:

Zeake

Dec 2, 2009
I just looked all over the flippin net. The 04 had a 4l60 the 09 has a 6l80. The hummer transfer case is most likely stronger. The only thing needed to mate it to the Allison would be the transfer case adapter. I would think that the Allison and 4l80 have the same bolt pattern and maybe that adapter would work. Some one on this sight knows the answer to this. I don't know jack about the allison. Yet