LMM wheel bearing on a classic

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Will an LMM wheel bearing work on a classic truck like my ‘03 as far as the abs sensor goes?
I know the hub will fit, but will the sensor work? Just put some ac delco hubs in my ‘03 that the 20980075 p/n says are for a bunch of different vehicles including LMM’s but I have an abs code now for the RF. It’s C0035 for the wheel speed sensor power supply so possibly unrelated to the hubs but wanted to see if anyone knew the answer to this to rule it out.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Thanks, but I have an ‘03. No stabilitrak or anything so troubleshooting is a bit different. I have alldata access, just didn’t yesterday where I was so just wanted to know if anyone knew if the hubs were different between classics and LMM’s. Pretty sure the problem is on the truck side not the hub.

Oddly the C0035 code says RF on the Autel but all the info I’ve read says LF. It didn’t give me an 02 or 05 code either. Need to use a different scan tool I think.

Dallas S

Jun 17, 2009
Alberta
Different sensor. But you can swap the classic body sensor into the LMM. Also the 08+ bearings don’t need a CV shaft to keep them together. Most replacement wheel bearings for the classics are built this way now a days tho

08lmm72mm

May 13, 2019
Saskatchewan, Canada
Different sensor. But you can swap the classic body sensor into the LMM. Also the 08+ bearings don’t need a CV shaft to keep them together. Most replacement wheel bearings for the classics are built this way now a days tho
That's good to know. I found the cv axle nut feel off once and was paranoid my hub was going to fall apart one day. Guess that explains that.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Good to know. I figured the sensors were interchangeable physically, just didn’t know if they were different in themselves. I’ll try it on Friday when I’m done work. It’s weird cuz I did plug in the old hub and it didn’t change but I’ll give it another whirl.

Dallas S

Jun 17, 2009
Alberta
The tone rings are same tooth count 01-10, but the sensors are different.

A random interesting fact is the gm speed sensors fit right into the 05+ superduty wheel bearings, and because the superduty wheel bearings run higher tooth count(58 vs 54 iirc) this allows us to run higher then 34.4” speedo calibrations on the LMM as we can not change the abs module like the classics. There are some variations of 05+ superduty tone rings but I’m not up to snuff on them

Reactions: LBZ

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Swapped out the lmm sensors for the old lb7 ones I kept from my truck and good to go. No more codes!

Reactions: Dozerboy