Next Mod Help

MaxComp88B

Mar 30, 2022
I have an LMM with these mods...Muffler delete, a little weight reduction if you know what I mean, 3inch downpipe, PPE Passenger side uppipe, PPE Airbox Mod, Resonator Delete, PCV Reroute, Fuel Rail Plug and tow tune. What would be your next mod? I am trying to think of mods to do. I want to stay around 500 or below. I have planned a Lift Pump and that is about it. What would you do to it if it was your truck? I don't know what mod I will benefit most from? CAI,turbo mouthpiece,turbo piping? I am just wanting something with maybe a little more performance and maybe just let the motor breath more or run better. I know 500 isnt a whole lot for much but I want to know what the best bolt on mod is.
I know on the LLY a larger intake horn is a great mod. I have an LMM and I am wondering if it is a mod I should definitely do? Is there much performance out of it?

Last edited by a moderator:

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
I merged your two threads on mods into one, as its essentially the same topic.

X2 lift pump It shouldve been done earlier. I know you said muffler delete, which works ok, but an actual 4" exhaust will help, too. Stock intake should be good up to 500ish.

Reactions: MaxComp88B

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Oh heck...that didnt dawn on me. Build trans first, or all the other mods are really for naught.

MaxComp88B

Mar 30, 2022
I understand lift pump and transmission is what I need and I am purchasing them very soon. Now what mods are most recommended for my build? I am not doing a bigger or different turbo or different injectors or cp3 or building motor. I just want to know what bolt on parts have the most performance gains and what is best to use. It isnt a dang race truck I dont need a bigger turbo or injectors. It is a daily and I just want to let the motor breath and put best mods into it. Now any help is appreciated. Thank you all I am just not into doing turbo and stuff. I know I wont make 500hp but I just want to do bolt on mods that will help my truck.

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
With a tune, a lift pump, and a built trans you'll be around 500-530 at the tire. There are other mods that you can do for performance, but your limiting factor is still going to be stock fuel and air, so I find them to be a waste of money. If something breaks, then revisit the idea eg. intercooler gets a leak, go to Banks. If you want to spend money on something that you can use and feel and enjoy, then I'd go for a Trutrac, tierod sleeves and other front end goodies if you are going to work 4wd hard, a monitor like the Edge, and maybe some good shocks.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
with the limited power you're looking for there really isn't any need for all those upgrades. a simple lift pump, transmission and a tune will get you there and it will take much less work. save you money on not needed useless mods.

the best bang for the buck is those three I listed. the other stuff you bring up is for people pushing much more HP then you plan

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
with the limited power you're looking for there really isn't any need for all those upgrades. a simple lift pump, transmission and a tune will get you there and it will take much less work. save you money on not needed useless mods.

the best bang for the buck is those three I listed. the other stuff you bring up is for people pushing much more HP then you plan
^ It couldn't be said better. Front end upgrades are also a bonus if someone is going to be launching the truck/sled pulling/off-roading etc but are not going to be required to actually make the power.

Stock fuel/air trucks with a good tune/lift pump/built trans easily make 500hp to the tire and don't much care about it, they will run that way for quite some time.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2004LB7

08lmm72mm

May 13, 2019
Saskatchewan, Canada
I don't even see the need for a lift pump under 500hp. As long as your CP3 and fuel lines are healthy it is a waste of money and it doesn't give any HP gains as long as desired frp is met. As far as built transmissions go you only need a lightly built one also. No need to spend mucho dollars on a trans that holds 750hp for a 450hp truck.

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
I don't even see the need for a lift pump under 500hp. As long as your CP3 and fuel lines are healthy it is a waste of money and it doesn't give any HP gains as long as desired frp is met. As far as built transmissions go you only need a lightly built one also. No need to spend mucho dollars on a trans that holds 750hp for a 450hp truck.
My stock trans LMM with a Banks 6-gun Tune on setting 5 wouldn't shift correctly until I added a lift pump. It was draining the rail, so to speak. I'm sure that a max effort stock trans tune would be the same, no?

MaxComp88B

Mar 30, 2022
On that note what is the best "budget" built trans? I thought about buying a built trans kit with the clutches and all and trying to rebuild my own but I would want to go very slow and read a lot about it before I start. I have alot of experience with building motors...not diesel. I dont have much transmisoon experience but i would like to learn. And I would only have 2g at the most in it. Then the price of a converter. I just want something where I wont ever have to worry about trans issues. Where I can have like a dsp5 switch and run a tune 3 or 4 every once in a while and know my trans will hold. I will do a ratio tech kit and trans go shift kit aswell to keep it togethor. Is the BD Diesel Trans very good?

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
On that note what is the best "budget" built trans? I thought about buying a built trans kit with the clutches and all and trying to rebuild my own but I would want to go very slow and read a lot about it before I start. I have alot of experience with building motors...not diesel. I dont have much transmisoon experience but i would like to learn. And I would only have 2g at the most in it. Then the price of a converter. I just want something where I wont ever have to worry about trans issues. Where I can have like a dsp5 switch and run a tune 3 or 4 every once in a while and know my trans will hold. I will do a ratio tech kit and trans go shift kit aswell to keep it togethor. Is the BD Diesel Trans very good?
There are vendors on this page who sell these parts (myself included) that can get you setup with a trans build kit that will meet and or exceed your goals. An Allison is a difficult transmission to rebuild decently, they are simply time consuming. If you can build an engine properly you can build an Allison.

To me, there is not much gain to a "budget" built trans as the cost difference between the internals is minimal since the major cost difference is a good triple disk converter vs an OEM style replacement. I've seen too many people fall into the "I just want a stock rebuild" then a year later they're doing burnouts or drag racing with a DSP5 switch. The only times I don't mind doing an OEM type overhaul is on a dedicated company/fleet truck.

Personally I would stay away from BD, ATS, and Jasper.

MaxComp88B

Mar 30, 2022
My stock trans LMM with a Banks 6-gun Tune on setting 5 wouldn't shift correctly until I added a lift pump. It was draining the rail, so to speak. I'm sure that a max effort stock trans tune would be the same, no?
To me that sounds like a CP3 issue. Like you put a bandaid on the problem but didnt exactly fix it. I could be wrong though.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
To me that sounds like a CP3 issue. Like you put a bandaid on the problem but didnt exactly fix it. I could be wrong though.
That's exactly it, but the argument stands that what truck that is now (at newest) 12yrs old has a perfect fuel system? Sure perfect injectors and CP3 don't "need" a lift pump to maintain higher than OEM fuel demand but that's sadly not the state of these 12+ year old trucks. The sad reality is they aren't perfect so a lift pump aids the aged/dated OEM fuel system maintain a higher demand, as a positive it also provides the truck with cleaner fuel as the filters on today's lift pumps are finer (smaller openings) than the OEM filter head mounted filters thus trapping smaller particles.