Occasional Converter Slip

Derby92

May 10, 2022
North Georgia
Hey everyone,

New here, been a lurker for a few years. Great forum and I appreciate everyone’s feedback.

Got an 09 lmm with 172k, PPEI EFI live. I’ve had the truck since 125k, and it’s always had a little issue with converter lock up. When i first got the truck it would sometimes shudder a bit and then lock hard. It would also act like it was trying to lock up and would occasionally “lunge” into gear is the best way I can describe it. Never limped. No major issues. I reset the TAPS back then and the issue resolved itself after I did the relearn. Put in a transgo Jr. and transynd with an internal filter change around 140k. Year or so goes by and I had to put a tuned TCM in it from Dans Diesel due to the shift range inhibited fault. Truck has been shifting incredibly well since then, ~2 years, but as of yesterday the converter seems to be acting up again. It only does it if I baby the truck. No shudder just the “lunge” symptom only. It’s minor but nonetheless there. Driving it moderate/hard everything is smooth as silk. Should I put a converter in or just bite the bullet and start looking for an upgrade? Any thoughts greatly appreciated. This occasional, reoccurring issue is getting on my nerves and I do not like being stranded so I’d rather avoid a tow if that’s what’s likely coming.

Dan B.

Last edited:

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
At your mileage you have more problems than converter. If you're only doing a converter, put a LML converter. Eventualy, if not already, you need a trans rebuild.
Call Evan at Inglewood and see your options. 714 870 7300

Derby92

May 10, 2022
North Georgia
At your mileage you have more problems than converter. If you're only doing a converter, put a LML converter. Eventualy, if not already, you need a trans rebuild.
Call Evan at Inglewood and see your options. 714 870 7300
I figured as much. I knew it was coming hence the babying. Time to get something I can beat on with the 150 tune and have some fun. I appreciate you taking the time to read and comment. Would love to have Inglewood take a look. Being in Georgia, could be a little far, though. Thanks a lot Mike.

Dan