Converter change

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
I got a guy that has had his needs change with his current LBZ. Its a S472/83/1.0 single truck with a stock cp3 and 40% nozzles. Built trans with a 1058. No towing needs until recently. He will occasionally need to move a piece of equipment short distances, gross trailer weight around 16k. The engine is coming out for some needed repair so the time to change the converter is now.

Any recommendations for that situation?

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
thats already a decently tight converter. if its not blowing through when hes towing before it hits lock up and he likes how it drives unloaded currently, i cant see the need for a change.

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
Its never towed with this setup, and will not be able to until engines been repaired.

I know there are now certainly better options than the 1058 for other applications. Hate to decide to try a different converter after engines back in but that may be what has to happen

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
if he likes it unloaded, id keep it and just play with tow-haul tuning. i feel that will give him the most noticable change because hes only going to see converter coupling from 1st to 1/2 way through 2nd. after that, there aint much it will really do.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
if he likes it unloaded, id keep it and just play with tow-haul tuning. i feel that will give him the most noticable change because hes only going to see converter coupling from 1st to 1/2 way through 2nd. after that, there aint much it will really do.

Get rid of the 1058. It doesn't couple worth a shit. Call Evan and get a Goerend DL or his 1078.

If he's happy with it empty (like James said) I would stick with the same stall and switch to a much better driving converter that actually does some type of coupling. I have a DL here that I'm going to be trying in my compound turbo LB7 (supposedly the DL is the DK/R replacement). The 1078 is a great choice as well if he is happy with how it drives empty.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
The 1078 does just fine empty or loaded. It is identical almost to the R
Yeah, what I was trying to say is if the owner is happy with how the truck drives stall wise right now with no load on the truck then an R/DL or 1078 will blow him away but that appears to not have come out right the first time.