Rare Parts tie rod failure

MAXX IT OUT

<<<IT WORKS
Mar 1, 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
Don't those tie rods have a warranty?
Yes, but I don't think they will warranty it in this situation because they have fine print. I probably will try, but I am not holding my breath. To undated this, I guess I fat fingered the order and order 11-21 tie rods, so I reorder there better one this go around.

Yngdmax92

Sep 26, 2013
Yes, but I don't think they will warranty it in this situation because they have fine print. I probably will try, but I am not holding my breath. To undated this, I guess I fat fingered the order and order 11-21 tie rods, so I reorder there better one this go around.
What are the better ones?

KyleC4

Tech
Dec 30, 2016
Bay Area
I purchased a set of rare parts tie rods (I think what they called their 2nd gen) about 5 years ago and still haven’t installed them yet. Being in Bay Area and rare parts is in Stockton was a close drive for me. I liked the design of the rod but my only issue when I first got them was how the outer tie rod dust boot is installed. It just sits there. Whereas the oem and I think even kryptonite now have the metal round clips that secure the dust boot to the joint.

Just makes me nervous is all. Couldn’t imagine that break while towing or something. But I know highest stress loads are usually slow speed and stand still turning maneuvers.

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
Ball socket on that failed tie rod looked rusty, sure you were greasing it once and a while? I've got the boots tore almost completely off this 15' Hot shot GMC and the outers are still tight, inners are shot though with the torsion bars maxed out.