I was in Denial about headgaskets

JAG91761

Mar 12, 2018
Ontario, California
Came into reality that I need my head gaskets done, so I am pricing different shops in southern california and it look like it will run me about $8,000-$10,000. They quoted me that based on the last job they did on a LLY that also had the same amount miles (225K). Does the price sound about right ? Anyone recommend a shop in socal?

Yngdmax92

Sep 26, 2013
Wow, I'm in new York and charge 4500-5000 studded, that Includes pressure checking and decking the heads, might be more if valve job is needed. Good lord

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Came into reality that I need my head gaskets done, so I am pricing different shops in southern california and it look like it will run me about $8,000-$10,000. They quoted me that based on the last job they did on a LLY that also had the same amount miles (225K). Does the price sound about right ? Anyone recommend a shop in socal?
Where in SoCal ?

Buds Diesel in Orange County is a name I have heard in my area for diesel repair. I believe the city is called MIdway. It's between Huntington Beach and Westminster area.

The repair all depends on what it ends up needing. If the heads have issues it could get spendy real fast...

Reactions: JAG91761

JAG91761

Mar 12, 2018
Ontario, California
Where in SoCal ?

Buds Diesel in Orange County is a name I have heard in my area for diesel repair. I believe the city is called MIdway. It's between Huntington Beach and Westminster area.

The repair all depends on what it ends up needing. If the heads have issues it could get spendy real fast...
Thank you. I am located in Ontario, California. Will give them a call tomorrow

08lmm72mm

May 13, 2019
Saskatchewan, Canada
It's around $8000cad where Iam. Honestly at the price it costs to do headgaskets on these motors it's almost worth it to spend a little more and build the bottom end while your at it.

Last edited:

JAG91761

Mar 12, 2018
Ontario, California
Called a few more shops and it is looking a little better, $6,000 to $10,000 depending if they say anything else that needs to be fix. Trying to find a shop by end of this week. If you know of a shop in So Cal (im located in Ontario, CA ) please let me know. I rather go to place that someone has dealt with before.

rfletes79

Mar 5, 2010
Galt, Ca 95632
SoCal diesel does not do work like that.

Here in NorCal pricing is about 5700 all in. Studs, wp, Mahle gaskets, new Bosch return lines, etc…. Also includes pressure and vacuum testing heads, cleaning and resurface. Valve job or head replacement would be extra.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Been a year since I talked to a shop about, but $5k here would get it done right with studs. For that price they are pulling the engine they are pulling the engine and doing main seals too.

If you can't find a shop that's a little bit more reasonably price. I'd be taken a vacation to somewhere with reasonable prices while they worked on my truck.

JAG91761

Mar 12, 2018
Ontario, California
SoCal diesel does not do work like that.

Here in NorCal pricing is about 5700 all in. Studs, wp, Mahle gaskets, new Bosch return lines, etc…. Also includes pressure and vacuum testing heads, cleaning and resurface. Valve job or head replacement would be extra.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Can you refer me to some shops that you know of? I will be considering it taking it up north for the right price.

JAG91761

Mar 12, 2018
Ontario, California
On my last LLY, my crankshaft broke and the guy I went with charged me $9,000 for a rebuild, I got hit by drunk driver and the truck was totalled. This was in 2016. Will a rebuild maybe a better way to pursue? Has anyone heard of https://www.blackwaterengines.com/? I may consider buying a crate engine through them. I am able to get 10% off. Maybe a better route. Thank You for everyone feedback.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
For the prices you're getting quoted, I'd be inclined to do them myself. It's not overly difficult to do. Just have a shop check the heads over while they're off.