Newbie to sled pulling (tips,tricks,etc)

RMJ_LB7

Feb 25, 2020
California
Good morning everyone and merry Christmas eve eve!

Next year I plan to make it to a few pulls with my truck, I don't have much done to it other than tunes, lift pump, pump rub fixed and dmaxstore XD tie rods. I will be taking out the leveling keys and going back to stock so I can lower the front end down so the cv axles are straight. I am hoping to rebuild the transmission in the next couple months and also a set of traction bars. I do also already have the DHD lockup box.

I have been looking into getting the DHD teflon brace as well as there bump stops and pulling hitch.

What else do you guys recommend before I do my first pull?

What gear is everyone starting out in for a basically stock truck? Does it depend on the track conditions?

Tire pressure: Less in the front and more in the rear?

What hitch height are you guys looking for?

Thanks in advance for any and all info! Picture of my truck attached :geek:

File_000.jpeg

Attachments

• File_000.jpeg
    File_000.jpeg
    393.9 KB · Views: 22

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana
Oh boy oh boy, that is one nice looking truck to take down that deep dark expensive rabbit hole of a hobby know as sled pulling! Setup for sled pulling is far more important than power(don't get me wrong, power is imporatnt!) cause you need to get every bit of what you make down to the ground! You will need to find out what the rules are that you will have to meet where you are pulling it and then set the truck up accordingly. Hitch height is usually 26" and the normal workstock stuff around here you will want to run 18-22psi in the front tires and 40psi in the rears. You will want to slide you hitch mounting points in so that the center of the hook point for the clevis is vertically even with the furthest most rear portion of the body of the truck, this transfers the weight of the sled better and allows the front to do more work for you. You will need to do a 3rd gear start tcm tune for sled pulling also to make your experience even better, shifting and sled pulling isn't the best thing to do at all! There is a ton more info and I could go on for days with it...

Reactions: RMJ_LB7

RMJ_LB7

Feb 25, 2020
California
Oh boy oh boy, that is one nice looking truck to take down that deep dark expensive rabbit hole of a hobby know as sled pulling! Setup for sled pulling is far more important than power(don't get me wrong, power is imporatnt!) cause you need to get every bit of what you make down to the ground! You will need to find out what the rules are that you will have to meet where you are pulling it and then set the truck up accordingly. Hitch height is usually 26" and the normal workstock stuff around here you will want to run 18-22psi in the front tires and 40psi in the rears. You will want to slide you hitch mounting points in so that the center of the hook point for the clevis is vertically even with the furthest most rear portion of the body of the truck, this transfers the weight of the sled better and allows the front to do more work for you. You will need to do a 3rd gear start tcm tune for sled pulling also to make your experience even better, shifting and sled pulling isn't the best thing to do at all! There is a ton more info and I could go on for days with it...

Thanks Mark! I will be getting in touch about the 3rd gear start tune. I am trying to stay in the work stock class since I don't have the funds like the big time guys and I totally agree with you about getting the power to the ground. I have been holding off on sled pulling since I have seen my uncle go down the rabbit hole :LOL: he also said to stay in the work stock class since he said that is when he had the most fun.

I appreciate the complement on the truck!

Reactions: MarkBroviak

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Honestly the best advice I can give is grab a 12 pack, drop the tailgate and watch everyone else.

its a VERY expensive and fun rabbit hole. Work stock only lasts about a season before you want more and more and more. Then you get a divorce and loose it all because you spent to much time doing truck shit and not enough time with the ole lady.

• Haha
Reactions: RMJ_LB7

diesel-max

Haisley Never heard of her
Oct 20, 2011
IN
Everyone in this post is spot on.

Mark loves sled pulling😆
#pullinsdum

Generally you’ll be at 26in, some places are 24in for work stock.. the higher the better. A good pulling hitch and suspension stops is a must. Definitely get those keys out! It is definitely addicting at will continue to pull you in more and more! Work stock is definitely a fun class! Wish I was in it still! Lol

RMJ_LB7

Feb 25, 2020
California
Everyone in this post is spot on.

Mark loves sled pulling😆
#pullinsdum

Generally you’ll be at 26in, some places are 24in for work stock.. the higher the better. A good pulling hitch and suspension stops is a must. Definitely get those keys out! It is definitely addicting at will continue to pull you in more and more! Work stock is definitely a fun class! Wish I was in it still! Lol

Everybody I talk to still wishes they were in it! which is the reason why I WILL NOT (say that now) jump up to the other classes. Really my goal is to have a truck that is fun in all categories but sled pulling is just on my bucket list lol.

diesel-max

Haisley Never heard of her
Oct 20, 2011
IN
Everybody I talk to still wishes they were in it! which is the reason why I WILL NOT (say that now) jump up to the other classes. Really my goal is to have a truck that is fun in all categories but sled pulling is just on my bucket list lol.
Stock appearing is so fun in my opinion, you can have a fun street truck with bolt on parts and still do really well on the pulling track, yet still have a weekend “corvette” if wanted

RMJ_LB7

Feb 25, 2020
California
Stock appearing is so fun in my opinion, you can have a fun street truck with bolt on parts and still do really well on the pulling track, yet still have a weekend “corvette” if wanted

I 100% agree with you. I think I will be happy if I am able to get into the 11s on the track, be able to compete in stock pulling class and dirt drags if they have an event around. Somewhere in the 700HP mark would be a fun toy for me. I am honestly just really excited to go attend some events next year whether I win or not!