Need some technical advice...

Goad

Feb 29, 2020
Las Vegas, NV
Rob,

Thanks again for coming over and pulling these logs...and thank you to anyone who can jump in and give any advice on what to check next

darkness

Jul 15, 2009
vegas
Thinking injectors too. The trucks down anyways, you can pull them and have them tested.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
They were dead even at 5500 psi. Couldn’t read the balance rates, they all showed zero. Suspect another problem there. Throttle position was 0.0%. Fuel rate was all over the place from 0-10+mm3. Possibly from the rough idle?
Try raising the idle rpm with the DVT controls to see if you can get any balance rate readings

Goad

Feb 29, 2020
Las Vegas, NV
Rob came back by today. (Thanks Rob!) He will be posting the balance rates here shortly.

Today the truck ran differently than before. Nothing was changed.

Before the engine would have a big lope in it upon initial start up....after 10-15 seconds it would smooth out...then it would begin to knock softly and get louder and louder as the engine continued to idle. Lots of smoke the whole time

Today the engine would start and idle smoothly for 10-15 seconds then you can hear it stumble a few times and continue to run rough. Rob was able to get balance rates, but when it would stumble, the rates would drop to zero. Lots of smoke the whole time as well. It never knocked either.

Here is a video of it today idling smooth then it starts to stumble

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atXBvqo2Idc

darkness

Jul 15, 2009
vegas
Here's the logs. The truck ran completely different today. But still smokes a ton (white smoke). I've never heard injector knock live before so can't really comment on for sure injectors. But it seems way to loud to be injectors. I'm almost thinking broke crank. I'll post the video I took last time I was there.

Attachments

• brads idle 2.zip
    5.7 KB · Views: 0
  • bards idle 3.zip
    3.1 KB · Views: 0

darkness

Jul 15, 2009
vegas
This one was with a different FICM. No change.

Attachments

• brads idle 4.zip
    2.9 KB · Views: 0

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
^^that means injectors are shot. The computer is trying to shut off injectors because it can not limit the fuel enough based on the pulse width tables.

Half ass fix, cut the tunes main injection pulse width table between 1-20mm3 by half in the idle area. Might stop the lope but doubtful based on the issues.

Real fix is new injectors

Reactions: Bdsankey

Goad

Feb 29, 2020
Las Vegas, NV
Well, I stepped up to the plate and dropped some loot on a set of SAC 45's and a FASS Titanium 100gph lift pump from LDS. Got all the gaskets, seals, etc to do the job. Hoping to find some time in the next couple days to dig into it and get it done.

Attachments

• 20201117_104235.jpg
    20201117_104235.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 18

Goad

Feb 29, 2020
Las Vegas, NV
well, put the injectors in...and it still f'n smokes. :mad: 🤬

Its smoking white now...not the dark grey....idles better....drove it around the block and has zero power and smoked out the entire block.

I am at a loss....totally defeated and frustrated. I feel like I just dropped $3,400 for nothing. My stomach is in a knot.

Rob said he will come back by this weekend and hook up his scanner/logger to it.

Goad

Feb 29, 2020
Las Vegas, NV
Did some research....apparently a bad wastegate may be the issue regarding to no power. I dug around trying to find out ways to confirm this but everything I'm finding is vague. Anyone have any good links to articles/videos on how to check it?

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I would double check you got the right wires on the correct injectors and didn't mix any up or are loose, etc. Also, Make sure you have a stock tune in the ECM for now to make sure it is not a jacked up tune

See if the wastegate is free to move. Disconnect the linkage and see if you can move it open and shut.

Last edited:

Goad

Feb 29, 2020
Las Vegas, NV
I would double check you got the right wires on the correct injectors and didn't mix any up or are loose, etc. Also, Make sure you have a stock tune in the ECM for now to make sure it is not a jacked up tune

So how do you tell which is the correct wire for each post? they are the same color to each injector. I just hooked them up. The wires had some 'memory' in them (meaning they had held their position when removed) and I just reconnected the wires as they were.

Goad

Feb 29, 2020
Las Vegas, NV
I stole this picture for reference... I hooked them up like this. red/red to one, orange/orange to the other. Is there a specific post that each color needs to go to on each injector? Like is it possible to cross the red/red? 1606364403006.png

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
So how do you tell which is the correct wire for each post? they are the same color to each injector. I just hooked them up. The wires had some 'memory' in them (meaning they had held their position when removed) and I just reconnected the wires as they were.

Red wires to the right and orange to the left. Doesn't matter which stud each wire goes on

For the wastegate, you can disconnect the linkage and see if it moves freely open and closed. To see if the flapper is not damaged you will need to unbolt the exhaust from the turbo to inspect it